Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Foles, Keenum and Context
So let me get this straight. NFL teams run by grown ups with college degrees look at a guy like Case Keenum, an undrafted QB on his 5th team, who benefits from an injury to the starting QB and lights it up in what is one of the best supporting casts in the NFL....and decide he's now he's a legitimate franchise QB worth 16 to 20 million dollars a year.

Nick Foles lights it up in Chip Kelly's pinball offense and seduces the Rams into trading 1st overall pick Sam Bradford, a 2nd round pick and a 4th round pick to the Eagles for Foles. Rams give Foles 25 million dollars. 

A few games into his first season, he sucked so bad he was benched in favor of (wait for it....) Case Keenum. After Keenum goes out with a concussion, Foles goes back in. Does he get better? Nope, he gets worse (50%, 0 TDs and 4 INTs worse) and is benched again.

Rams are so confident in Keenum and Foles, they draft Jared Goff. They keep Case as QB2 and Foles is released. Drawing no interest from any team, Foles is a street free agent all spring and summer. At 27 years old, he contemplates retirement, before finally signing with KC as a backup. Spends a year in KC before he's let go. Again. 

Last year, Foles signs on with the Eagles to backup Carson Wentz. Foles, a QB on his 4th team, benefits from an injury to the starting QB and lights it up in what is one of the best supporting casts in the NFL. And now he's a legitimate franchise QB worth a 1st and a 4th round pick? I can't be the only one who sees the INSANITY in all of this.  

The Eagles are counting on the NFL, once again, being incredibly stupid, "results-driven" and blind to context. They might just get away with trading the same bum twice. Unbelievable. 

I once bet a kid in middle school on a game that had already been played. That's what this reminds me of. 

Well, the Rams did suck when Case and Foles were there. But, if i sign one or trade for the other, I’m very cautious with my draft picks and my compensation.
The fact that there are so few really goos QB’s out there is what drives the price on either of those two guys.

You hit the nail on the head, Maroon.  This is exactly the reason why I have a hard time understanding why some fans would rather have Keenum than Cousins...  I mean it would be different if we're talking about re-signing Keenum for 10 million (or less) per year.  But we're not...  he's reportedly seeking a much larger deal.
If the Vikings are going to devote a large chunk of their cap space to a QB this offseason, I want the best QB.  And for the reported money that Keenum and Cousins are looking for...  I would much rather spend an additional 7 million per year to get Cousins because he is a better QB than Case.