Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zimmer explains decision to keep QBs coach Stefanski
When the Minnesota Vikings hired John DeFilippo as their offensive coordinator it appeared to be a foregone conclusion that current QBs coach Kevin Stefanski would be on the move.
Instead the Vikings blocked Stefanski, who had interviewed for Minnesota’s OC opening, from interviewing for an OC position with the New York Giants.

Head coach Mike Zimmer took some heat for blocking the long-time Vikings assistant from advancing his career. At the Combine on Thursday Zimmer talked about his call to keep Stefanski around.
“ I get criticized for blocking guys and stuff like that, but loyalty to me is a big thing,” Zimmer said.
Stefanski has been on the Vikings’ staff for 12 seasons. He has worked as running backs, tight ends and quarterbacks coach in the last three years.
“I come in here four years ago and the offense is 29, 27th, 26th but I keep them,” Zimmer said. “So the first time our offense is pretty good, then I’m supposed to let all my coaches leave? I don’t think that’s right. If I’m going to be loyal to them and not fire them after they don’t have good years, then I don’t think they should not be loyal to me.”
The Vikings’ new offensive coordinator will keep some things the same from Pat Shurmur’s time at the helm. It won’t be until they have a quarterback in place that the team fully forms its offensive plan.
“We’re going to try to figure out the quarterback first,” Zimmer said. “And then we’ll adjust the offense. All the offense will have some, regardless of who the quarterback is going to be, is going to have some similarities. Some certain aspects of it that after that – ‘OK this guy doesn’t do this good, let’s throw this out.’”

Zimmer is full of crap.

When Zimmer arrived in 2014 they proceeded to sign Linval Joseph, Captain Munnerlyn, Terrence Newman, draft Anthony Barr, Trae Waynes, Eric Kendricks, Danielle Hunter, and Mackenzie Alexander. Prior to him arriving they had added Smith, Rhodes, and Floyd.  That is 4 first rounders, 2 second rounders, 1 third rounder, two top free agents, and a veteran CB who knew his system.

Meanwhile, they had at least drafted Diggs & Bridgewater, had a struggling Kalil and CP84, and then drafted two horrible tackles in the 4th round in Clemmings and Beavers.

When they finally added two good free agent tackles, drafted a top guard, and drafted Cook, with the development of Thielen the offense did much better.

For Zimmer to quote the rankings of the offense and complain while they did very little to really improve that side of the ball (Boone and Smith were not upgrades) is basically bull crap.

You cannot make chicken salad out of chicken you know what!

Wow, Zimmer is being uncharacteristically testy and defensive lately. Makes you wonder if he didn't take some heat for that defensive breakdown in the NFCC.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
Wow, Zimmer is being uncharacteristically testy and defensive lately. Makes you wonder if he didn't take some heat for that defensive breakdown in the NFCC.
listen to the interview with PA at the combine.  he was very sensitive about the last 6 quarters criticism.  brought it up a couple times to defend himself

Quote: @PSBLAKE said:
@MaroonBells said:
listen to the interview with PA at the combine.  he was very sensitive about the last 6 quarters criticism.  brought it up a couple times to defend himself
Interesting. Yeah, I haven't heard or read the actual interview, just the bites. As much as I like Mike, the talent is there. There's more young talent on this defense than anywhere else in the NFL. And I'd say that every breakdown we've had recently. NFCC, Carolina, even going back to that opening day loss to the 49ers back in '15, those were coaching breakdowns in my opinion. 

Injuries have a lot to do with the Vikes D toward the end of season, and into the playoffs.  They literally had no middle push collapsing the pocket either.  I'm not sure why Hunter wasn't consistent, but I think without a healthy Griff, it was noticable the pass D wasn't the same.

The D against the run suprised me.  The 2017 team was very much improved against rushing attacks.  I'll give Zim all of credit for that.

Quote: @MarkSP18 said:
Zimmer is full of crap.

When Zimmer arrived in 2014 they proceeded to sign Linval Joseph, Captain Munnerlyn, Terrence Newman, draft Anthony Barr, Trae Waynes, Eric Kendricks, Danielle Hunter, and Mackenzie Alexander. Prior to him arriving they had added Smith, Rhodes, and Floyd.  That is 4 first rounders, 2 second rounders, 1 third rounder, two top free agents, and a veteran CB who knew his system.

Meanwhile, they had at least drafted Diggs & Bridgewater, had a struggling Kalil and CP84, and then drafted two horrible tackles in the 4th round in Clemmings and Beavers.

When they finally added two good free agent tackles, drafted a top guard, and drafted Cook, with the development of Thielen the offense did much better.

For Zimmer to quote the rankings of the offense and complain while they did very little to really improve that side of the ball (Boone and Smith were not upgrades) is basically bull crap.

Not sure who is full of crap.  He was asked about Stefanski.  He mentioned he kept him on from the previous regime, has kept him on when the offense struggled but now should automatically let him move on when the offense has one good year?

Maybe losing his OC is enough change for 1 year and he wanted some continuity. 

Quote: @greediron said:
@MarkSP18 said:
Zimmer is full of crap.

Not sure who is full of crap.  He was asked about Stefanski.  He mentioned he kept him on from the previous regime, has kept him on when the offense struggled but now should automatically let him move on when the offense has one good year?

Maybe losing his OC is enough change for 1 year and he wanted some continuity. 
blocking the move may not have been the politically correct thing to do,  but its likely the best move for the team... and thats what Zims primary driver should be IMO.

I have yet to see it written anywhere that Stefanski is upset/angry/disappointed that he wasn't allowed to interview for that Giants job. For all we know he may not have even wanted the job. He's been with the Vikings for 12 years and maybe he has an advancement opportunity coming his way soon with them and is willing to wait for that opportunity.

Quote: @prairieghost said:
I have yet to see it written anywhere that Stefanski is upset/angry/disappointed that he wasn't allowed to interview for that Giants job. For all we know he may not have even wanted the job. He's been with the Vikings for 12 years and maybe he has an advancement opportunity coming his way soon with them and is willing to wait for that opportunity.
Do you think he liked getting passed over for Flip?