Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mayfield rejects Manziel comparisons with NFL combine near
FORT WORTH, Texas — Baker Mayfield doesn't like comparisons to Johnny Manziel, although the Heisman Trophy winner from Oklahoma wasn't surprised by them after an arrest and other antics during his time with the Sooners.
At a stop in his home state of Texas to accept the Davey O'Brien Award as the nation's top quarterback, Mayfield said Monday he and Manziel were "two completely different people."
Mayfield will be at the NFL combine next week and is projected as a possible first-round pick in the draft in April.
It's been four years since Manziel, the first freshman to win the Heisman at Texas A&M in 2012, was taken 22nd overall by Cleveland and dumped after two trouble-filled seasons. A former Texas high school star like Mayfield, Manziel has been out of football for two years.
After an offseason arrest for public intoxication and disorderly conduct, Mayfield planted an OU flag at midfield after a win at Ohio State. He made a lewd gesture toward the Kansas sideline after the Jayhawks refused to shake his hand before the coin flip.
"We're two completely different people," Mayfield said. "I've always been a team-oriented guy. Not saying that Johnny wasn't. But I've quickly earned the respect of my teammates because of how I worked.
"I wasn't given the natural talent that Johnny had. Because he's a talent. And there's a reason he got taken in the first round, amazing player. We're just not the same mentally. Just wired differently."
Mayfield acknowledged last weekend that NFL personnel have talked to him about having more awareness of his social media use and trying to stay out of trouble. But coaches have long praised his leadership and infectious energy.
"I've always been an outgoing person, somebody that's confident, somebody who has passion and energy for the game of football and for whoever I'm playing for, I'm going to be passionate about it," said Mayfield, who broke his own single-season passing efficiency rating and threw for 4,627 yards and 43 touchdowns.
After the Sooners lost to Georgia in the Rose Bowl in the national semifinals, Mayfield stayed in the Los Angeles area and has spent most of his time there preparing for the combine and draft.
"This process right now is different than anything of the stuff I've been through before because it's more individualized right now than anything else," Mayfield said. "Normally in the offseason I'm with the team. We're working toward one goal together."
The Kansas sideline incident cost Mayfield a start in his final home game when coach Lincoln Riley benched him. He also apologized for the flag plant. But Mayfield said the arrest in Arkansas last February is what braced him for the Manziel chatter.
"I didn't want to be portrayed as the villain or somebody like that," Mayfield said. "I do good things within my community. I'm not trying to say those cover up any mistakes that I've made. But there's always a learning curve when you're growing up."
And Mayfield knows where his career is taking him next.
"You get a bunch of grown men that work really hard, so it'll be different going from 18 (to) 22-year-olds to people that are feeding their families, their children," Mayfield said. "A lot of these guys make their money just based off work ethic and never quitting."
Mayfield thinks that's what he's bringing to the NFL, not Manziel-like baggage.

By SCHUYLER DIXON Associated PressFebruary 20, 2018 — 9:30am

I can see the comparison's in terms of off-the-field stuff but Manziel was born with a silver spoon and was trouble from day 1.  No surprise that he now comes out with bi-polar because he clearly has had mental issues for a long time.  

Also, both are under the ideal size although Mayfield is a little stockier and slightly taller, I think.  

I like guys with a chip on their shoulder especially at QB.  Mayfield was a walk-on!!!  He had to work very hard to get to this point and his production at a big time program is amazing.

I would take a chance on Mayfield at 30 but most folks think he would go much higher early teens.  I would not trade up for him but if he fell to 30 I would be tempted.  We sure have enough QB experience with Defillipo having drafted Carr and then Wentz, The guy from Oakland as assistant offensive something who helped develop Carr, and we kept our QB coach from last year = a lot of input on drafting a QB, do think we are looking to draft one early-round or two.  

The sports media and their comparisons. Its nuts. Mayfield is a much better leader than Johnny Football. Stockier and stronger. Work ethic worlds apart.

But its so easy and so lazy to just compare them.

@StickyBun said:
Quote:
The sports media and their comparisons. Its nuts. Mayfield is a much better leader than Johnny Football. Stockier and stronger. Work ethic worlds apart.

But its so easy and so lazy to just compare them.
some sports media guys are saying that these comparisons are coming from NFL front offices.  it could be a smoke screen to put their counterparts on edge in order to try and make the kid drop,  or they also suspected that they are doing it to see how mayfield reacts to the reports as a judge on his mental makeup.

Mayfield may be a knob, but he's not the complete jackass Johnny F***face demonstrated he was before, during and after he landed in the pros.

Quote: @Ralphie said:
Mayfield may be a knob, but he's not the complete jackass Johnny F***face demonstrated he was before, during and after he landed in the pros.
It wasn't Johmnies fault....he suffers from afluenza.

I think Baker will measure better than JFF did.  When I see him on the field I think his body and size/build looks more comparable to Derek Carr.  Carr is 6'-2" and that's what you see Baker listed at.  Baker will probably be officially shorter at the combine where they don't fudge heights like college, but maybe not by too much.  I was surprised when JFF (somehow) stretched to get a 5'-11+" measurement.  He looked shorter on the field and his build looked more like he should be running moonshine. Tongue  I did not want Johnny on the Vikings because I didn't think his run-for-your-life&lob-it-up-with-luck game would translate.  I didn't like his arm, size or attitude.  If Baker had been in that draft instead I wouldn't have had as many issues with the possibility.