Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Report: Vikings adding former Raiders offensive coordinator to coaching staff
The Vikings will be beefing up their offensive coaching staff with the former offensive coordinator of the Oakland Raiders.
Adam Caplan reports that Todd Downing is expected to join the Vikings in the role of senior offensive assistant.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/02/17/report-vikings-adding-former-raiders-offensive-coordinator-to-coaching-staff/

Interesting... Wink

They have two hot coaching prospects at the top of he offensive staff(now probably 3) in Defilippo and Stefanski.  I would imagine they want o keep some continuity going forward by not installing a new offense year after year.

Hopefully Stefanski got a nice reach around...

I'm not sure I fully understand this, but I guess more eyes on how to go forward on the QB situation can't be bad. 

If I had to make a really vague guess based on this move, it would be that they are looking for someone to work with a young guy like Bridgewater. A mentor on staff. 

MN history? Who knows...Another set of eyes on offense, from an orphaned coach this time. 

Interesting hire in a position title that I don't think we had before - senior offensive assistant - Downing

Downing is credited with helping develop rookie Derek Carr as QB coach and then OC.  But the year before Carr was drafted DeFillippo was the QB coach in Oakland and probably had some say in drafting Carr.

DeFillippo was QB coach (OC for the Browns before) and is credited with developing rookie Carson Wentz and preparing and tailoring the offense to Foles skill set on the way to the SB.  I would think DeFillippo had a say in drafting Wentz.

So DeFillippo had a hand in drafting and developing both Carr and Wentz.  Is his expertise in finding the right QB to draft?  Are we looking very early for a QB in the draft?  

Stefanski stays as the QB coach for the second year after holding many other offensive spots along the way.

All 3 are between 35 - 40 years old, I think - so pretty young for up and coming coaches.

So we now have a lot of input on QB's.  The 3 in FA limbo, Sloter and a possible early round pick?

The early talk is that DeFillippo, if he does well next year with us, is a hot HC candidate.  If so, then it seems we moved Downing ahead of Stefanski to take over as OC.  

Quote: @"minny65" said:
Interesting hire in a position title that I don't think we had before - senior offensive assistant - Downing

Downing is credited with helping develop rookie Derek Carr as QB coach and then OC.  But the year before Carr was drafted DeFillippo was the QB coach in Oakland and probably had some say in drafting Carr.

DeFillippo was QB coach (OC for the Browns before) and is credited with developing rookie Carson Wentz and preparing and tailoring the offense to Foles skill set on the way to the SB.  I would think DeFillippo had a say in drafting Wentz.

So DeFillippo had a hand in drafting and developing both Carr and Wentz.  Is his expertise in finding the right QB to draft?  Are we looking very early for a QB in the draft?  

Stefanski stays as the QB coach for the second year after holding many other offensive spots along the way.

All 3 are between 35 - 40 years old, I think - so pretty young for up and coming coaches.

So we now have a lot of input on QB's.  The 3 in FA limbo, Sloter and a possible early round pick?

The early talk is that DeFillippo, if he does well next year with us, is a hot HC candidate.  If so, then it seems we moved Downing ahead of Stefanski to take over as OC.  
as i was driving around today I was re evaluating the QB situation and have myself thinking the same thing... are the Vikes ready to do a prove it contract to one of our 3 and then draft competition for Sloter for these guys to coach up in case TeddySamCase dont work out?

I dont think they would get stupid and trade up for a QB,  but I am wondering if they have their eye on a guy that is 2nd round projection they think they could trade down and get early and add a late 3rd or 4th round pick to replace the one we are giving up this year from the Sam deal.  we know Rick likes to have his full arsenal of picks every year.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"minny65" said:

as i was driving around today I was re evaluating the QB situation and have myself thinking the same thing... are the Vikes ready to do a prove it contract to one of our 3 and then draft competition for Sloter for these guys to coach up in case TeddySamCase dont work out?

I dont think they would get stupid and trade up for a QB,  but I am wondering if they have their eye on a guy that is 2nd round projection they think they could trade down and get early and add a late 3rd or 4th round pick to replace the one we are giving up this year from the Sam deal.  we know Rick likes to have his full arsenal of picks every year.
Yea it makes me wonder if we are eyeing up a QB in this draft maybe with our late first rounder?  Or maybe they are bringing these guys to develop Sloter?  I don't know but we seem to have a lot of coaches with QB development in there resume.

The thing is guys like the one from Wyoming and even Mayfield have been moving into the teens already.  I agree with not moving up for anyone in the first at least.