Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Michael Floyd?
So - is he done here? Seems like the experiment failed, but OTOH, it didn't fail spectacularly with an embarassing DUI or such. Floyd apparently stayed clean and I never heard any complaints about his work ethic. So with a new OC, possibly new QB, will he stay with the Vikings? I've heard talk about DeFilippo wanting a deep threat, even speculation about pursuing Torrey Smith, so would they consider Floyd instead? I guess it depends on whether any other team offers him a contract.

i would say he’s done, unless we sign a QB that can throw a guy open.  I would say floyd and tread are pretty similar players, which is very disappointing obviously

Depending on the medicals, I'd like to take a shot at Terrell Pryor...could be our version of Alshon Jeffrey...

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
Depending on the medicals, I'd like to take a shot at Terrell Pryor...could be our version of Alshon Jeffrey...
i was just thinking about jeffrey today and what a difference maker he is. Pryor is intruiging.  it may be we could be just as well off with another impact TE or a Landry type. Will be interesting to see flippers concepts

The Eagles are expected to move on from Torrey Smith this offseason.

Smith signed a three-year deal last offseason but is owed a non-guaranteed salary in 2018. With Nelson Agholor having a breakout year and Mack Hollins cutting into Smith's snaps down the stretch, he's unlikely to be brought back. The Eagles can save $5 million from releasing Smith. Feb 16 - 6:06 PM

I'd bring back Floyd using the veterans minimum salary exemption. Otherwise I wouldn't be shocked to see the Vikings draft an outside receiver. With Diggs close to an extension and Thielen presumably getting restructured next off-season they'll need some cost controllability there. 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
I'd bring back Floyd using the veterans minimum salary exemption. Otherwise I wouldn't be shocked to see the Vikings draft an outside receiver. With Diggs close to an extension and Thielen presumably getting restructured next off-season they'll need some cost controllability there. 
That's a good point. It's very unlikely they're going to sign any free agents here. With Diggs and Thielen cutting big chunks off the cap, the cost-per-position factor argues heavily for a rookie here. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
That's a good point. It's very unlikely they're going to sign any free agents here. With Diggs and Thielen cutting big chunks off the cap, the cost-per-position factor argues heavily for a rookie here. 
or a resurrection project,  there are always guys that seem to fall out of favor and are looking for a place to salvage their career.  usually on the cheap.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
or a resurrection project,  there are always guys that seem to fall out of favor and are looking for a place to salvage their career.  usually on the cheap.
True, but even that can be problematic. Those guys usually sign 1-year deals. If he does somehow salvage his career sitting behind Diggs and Thielen, great for us, but then you have to either let him go or create a bigger cap headache.

I can see adding a veteran as short-term security "depth" to replace Floyd and/or Treadwell if we trade him. But the advantage of adding a rookie here is that you have 4 or 5 years before you have to pay him. What's more, he'll be given time to develop, assuming you take one in the middle rounds (Vikings have no business taking a receiver in rounds 1 or 2). 

Wonder if we'll see more 4/5 WR sets next season? That could give Floyd more chances, hell even Treadwell too. 

Tough to defend when you have Cook in the backfield too.