Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Vikings five biggest needs this offseason
If you are still recovering from the disappointing end of the Minnesota Vikings, there’s good news: The NFL offseason is about to kick into gear.
Before we look at the Vikings’ offseason needs, here’s some dates you should know:
  • The NFL Combine begins February 27
  • March 6 is the last day teams can apply the franchise or transition tag
  • March 12-14 is the “legal tampering” period for free agents
  • March 14 is the deadline for all teams to exercise option clauses and submit offers & tenders to their 2017 RFAs & ERFAs
  • Free agency and the NFL trading period also begin March 14 and 3 p.m. CT
Alright, now for the positions to keep an eye on as we progress through the offseason….
Starting quarterbackThe Vikings currently have zero starting quarterbacks on their roster. Teddy Bridgewater, Case Keenum and Sam Bradford are all free agents, making the number of possible options for 2018 innumerable. They can franchise tag any one of the three – the most likely being Keenum. And the possibility remains (though unlikely) that Bridgewater’s contract can toll onto next season. It’s harder to picture a scenario where Bradford is back.
Defensive tackleTom Johnson did an admirable job stepping into a full-time role this season. He didn’t put up huge numbers, but created pressure and performed well against the run despite being undersized for an every-down player. If the Vikings move on from Johnson, who is a free agent, they could chase a big fish in the form of top UFA DTs Sheldon Richardson or Dontari Poe. Minnesota might also consider defensive tackle toward the top of their draft needs.
Right guardWhile starting right guard Joe Berger hasn’t officially announced his retirement, he mentioned multiple times that 2017 would be his last year in the NFL, so that leaves the Vikings with an opening on the offensive line. This year’s draft is expected to have a group of very good guards and the free agent market has a handful of proven starters as well.
Nickel cornerTerence Newman did a remarkable job at nickel considering he made the position switch at age 39 and didn’t spend all of his preseason and camp reps there. The Vikings could convince Newman to give it one more whirl. If he retires, they could turn the spot over to Mackensie Alexander, who played one-third of the total snaps the year. But there are still questions about whether Alexander can take the next step.
Backup quarterbackThere is no better evidence of the importance of having a good No. 2 quarterback than Case Keenum and Nick Foles. There aren’t many proven backups on the market, which may push the Vikings to bring back Bridgewater and Keenum. They could also look to sign Josh McCown, who has previous experience with John DeFilippo.
BONUS NEED: D-line and skill position depthOne thing we can take away from the Philadelphia Eagles is that you can never have enough talent. The Eagles made two moves that stand out – one in the offseason, the other midseason. They signed pass rusher Chris Long despite already having a talented defensive line and traded for running back Jay Ajayi, though Philly had two solid running backs.

Full Article Here:

http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2018/0...offseason/

Mostly agree, except:

Nickel CB: No; Alexander needs to be considered the starter there. Focus should be on developing a 6th CB for dime and depth. I think keeping Newman longer may hamper that development.

Backup QB: Not a need unless Bridgewater successfully challenges the tolling of his contract.

I would move RB depth up the list. McKinnon is likely to leave and Murray may not be eager to reduce his contract.

DT is really interesting. Jaleel Johnson had a redshirt year but should - should! - move into the starting spot.

Offensive line x 5. 

Quote: @"Jor-El" said:
Mostly agree, except:

Nickel CB: No; Alexander needs to be considered the starter there. Focus should be on developing a 6th CB for dime and depth. I think keeping Newman longer may hamper that development.

Backup QB: Not a need unless Bridgewater successfully challenges the tolling of his contract.

I would move RB depth up the list. McKinnon is likely to leave and Murray may not be eager to reduce his contract.

DT is really interesting. Jaleel Johnson had a redshirt year but should - should! - move into the starting spot.
They love him. That doesn't mean they won't add some depth there. 

I'm curious as to why our leading rusher and one of the more productive backs the second half of the season have to take a pay cut? 

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
I'm curious as to why our leading rusher and one of the more productive backs the second half of the season have to take a pay cut? 

Because he's due to make 3 mill and he won't be the starter.  That's too much for a backup, it would cause disruption in the locker room and the brass knows it.  Cook won't make even half that much and he is going to be the starter.  If Murray agrees to re-structure, then the problem is solved, but I don't think he will.  He wants to be the starter and he knows he has a better chance somewhere else.  All he has to do is refuse to re-structure and the team will probably have to release him.  I can't see any team picking up his contract in a trade.

All of this is based on what exactly?

Here's what I see:
Vikings were one of two teams to run over 500 times last year.
Jerrick McKinnon has already stated he believes he's a starting caliber RB 
Jerrick McKinnon is a FA
Dalvin Cook Is coming off a knee injury
I add all those thing up and I don't see anyway we ask Murray for a salary cut 

Quote: @"Ponifan" said:
@"BarrNone55" said:

Because he's due to make 3 mill and he won't be the starter.  That's too much for a backup, it would cause disruption in the locker room and the brass knows it.  Cook won't make even half that much and he is going to be the starter.  If Murray agrees to re-structure, then the problem is solved, but I don't think he will.  He wants to be the starter and he knows he has a better chance somewhere else.  All he has to do is refuse to re-structure and the team will probably have to release him.  I can't see any team picking up his contract in a trade.
According to Spotrac Murray will make $5.75M in 2018.

I mentioned it because there has been much speculation the Vikings will ask him to restructure, but I'm more in agreement with Barr. I don't believe there would be locker room disruption. The only reason I think he would be forced is if the team signs several expensive FAs and is in salary cap trouble.

We're all eager to get Dalvin Cook back, but about 10% of players are significantly slower or otherwise diminished after a serious injury. He'll probably be as good as before, but...Not certainly. I do hope we keep Murray - and pick a RB on day 3...

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
All of this is based on what exactly?

Here's what I see:
Vikings were one of two teams to run over 500 times last year.
Jerrick McKinnon has already stated he believes he's a starting caliber RB 
Jerrick McKinnon is a FA
Dalvin Cook Is coming off a knee injury
I add all those thing up and I don't see anyway we ask Murray for a salary cut 
They'll have to work his contract because there is no money guaranteed at this point. He'll take a paycut but end up making more money in guarantees. Its a win-win.