Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
John DeFelippo and play-calling optimization
From Schefter: It's a coup for the Vikings, as DeFilippo had reportedly been "leaning toward" staying in Philadelphia after being passed over for the Bears and Cardinals' head-coaching vacancies. On the rise since a well-regarded showing as the Browns' offensive coordinator in 2015, DeFilippo has earned raves for his work with Carson Wentz. DeFilippo is inheriting excellent talent at running back and receiver, but doesn't yet know which quarterback he will be coaching in 2018. It stands to reason DeFilippo will employ some of the play-calling optimization techniques he learned under Doug Pederson in Philly.

Fascinating article in the New York Times about this play-calling optimization thing...Sounds like we'll be going for it more on 4th down.

The Eagles’ shrewd application of analytics to everything from roster management to in-game strategy helped propel them to a 13-3 record and a berth in Super Bowl LII against the New England Patriots on Sunday.
Analyzing every team’s risk-management style, EdjSports determined that Philadelphia optimizes decisions — on fourth down, especially — better than its peers by a substantial margin.
“The Eagles capture value at every turn,” said Tony DeFeo, the president of EdjSports, “because they understand where the value lies.”
That understanding saturates an organization that not only accepts counterintuitive thinking but encourages it....
...The Eagles have empowered Pederson to make decisions rooted in instinct or math, or both. They understand that what may seem a foolish move in the short term may enhance their chances of winning — as that fourth-down call against the Giants did. In a call that was likely to fail, Pederson identified that the upside of going for it outweighed the downside of failing.

I'm a fan of being more aggressive, less predictable offensively. Bolder. Non-traditional situational play calling. The younger coordinators seem to have more balls. Zimmer's conservatism when leading in ball games has to be tweaked to get to the next level.  

I'm excited about this. I wanted two things from our coordinator: someone who understands the rhythm of play calling and someone who's on the edge of where NFL offenses are going. Coming from the team that ran more RPOs than any other (by far), and one that used analytics to dictate its decisions, it sounds like Flip is definitely on the edge. 

I'm a big fan of the Vikings' decision making process of late. Maybe it's just my perception, but in the past, it seemed we mostly hired coaches from within our network. Lately we seem to be more creative, more willing to be patient and discerning. 

Flip could be a total disaster for all I know, but I like that the choice at least shows some vision. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
I'm excited about this. I wanted two things from our coordinator: someone who understands the rhythm of play calling and someone who's on the edge of where NFL offenses are going. Coming from the team that ran more RPOs than any other (by far), and one that used analytics to dictate its decisions, it sounds like Flip is definitely on the edge. 

I'm a big fan of the Vikings' decision making process of late. Maybe it's just my perception, but in the past, it seemed we mostly hired coaches from within our network. Lately we seem to be more creative, more willing to be patient and discerning. 

Flip could be a total disaster for all I know, but I like that the choice at least shows some vision. 
I agree.  I think this has been a big area of growth for Zimmer.  Bringing in Shurmur and Sparano made some uncomfortable (maybe Norv) and that was a good thing.  Zimmer may have recognized the need to be more dynamic on offense and fit the scheme to the players rather than the other way around. 

I liked Shumur and his ability to incorporate pieces from other offenses.  I really like what Philly did with their offense, self scouting and changing it on the bye week to fit Foles. Hopefully DeFilipino brings that dynamic with him.

If this guy is anything like his previous boss, he will be better than Shurmur... and that is exciting to think about (because Shurmur wasn't bad).

Quote: @pumpf said:
If this guy is anything like his previous boss, he will be better than Shurmur... and that is exciting to think about (because Shurmur wasn't bad).
so when do we get to see Pumpf on the sidelines?  quality control for O-line? 

Hmmm.  Been defending PFF for years here. Not saying it was the Be All End All. Just saying that teams are getting far more into Analytics than most want to admit.

And now here's the evidence. I hope this rubs off on Zimmer.

Don't think Zimmer has an issue with analytics, just has an issue with websites that have no idea who was responsible for what analyzing like the know something. 

PFF doesn't work well for complex areas, or more specifically units that work together.  They look at every player in isolation when offensive and defensive lines don't measure up in isolation, especially without knowing who was supposed to go where.

Quote: @greediron said:
@pumpf said:
Actually, it recently occurred to me... that I was running the RPO offense back in 2011 (I came up with it on my own, although I wouldn't doubt if some college programs were also using it at that time).  I had forgotten that- mostly because I had a hard time selling it to my HC at the time.  The next season (with a new team) I was a defensive coordinator and have been ever since.  I did just get "promoted" in my current coaching gig... but (since it's HS and the HC is also coaching BB right now) I won't know for a month or 2 just what that means.  I may be calling plays again... but I don't know yet which side of the ball.

Quote: @pumpf said:
@greediron said:
@pumpf said:
Actually, it recently occurred to me... that I was running the RPO offense back in 2011 (I came up with it on my own, although I wouldn't doubt if some college programs were also using it at that time).  I had forgotten that- mostly because I had a hard time selling it to my HC at the time.  The next season (with a new team) I was a defensive coordinator and have been ever since.  I did just get "promoted" in my current coaching gig... but (since it's HS and the HC is also coaching BB right now) I won't know for a month or 2 just what that means.  I may be calling plays again... but I don't know yet which side of the ball.
still no resolution on that matter yet bro?  I would think they would be wanting to get that handled as most schools start doing contract work for next year about now dont they?