Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
McDaniels Tells The Colts To Pound Sand
ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Patriots OC Josh McDaniels has backed out of his deal to replace Chuck Pagano as Colts head coach and will remain in New England.
Per Schefter, Patriots owner Robert Kraft decided to "sweeten" McDaniels' contract, "(enticing) him to remain in New England." The Colts, who are now back at Square 1, will be rightfully furious. It's stunning news, but not completely out of the blue. There were rumors Super Bowl weekend that McDaniels was getting cold feet about leaving New England. Nevertheless, those seemed to be put to rest when McDaniels was officially announced as Pagano's replacement on Tuesday. For anyone who watched ESPN's The Two Bills, the episode is reminiscent of what Bill Belichick pulled with the Jets in 2000, though Belichick had previously been on the Jets' staff. The reversal will raise questions about how long Belichick is for New England. It's hard to believe McDaniels would pass up a head-coaching opportunity unless he believed he would soon get his chance with his current club.
Related: Colts

Wow...

Wonder if Kraft promised him next in line succession?

Josh will inherit a NE team without Brady. The sole player that made Belichick look like a genius. I guess I'd still rather work for Kraft than Irsay.

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
Wow...

Wonder if Kraft promised him next in line succession?
You mean... like... maybe they "agree'd to terms?!"  B)

Jerry Lawler's voice just came to mind. "HE DIDN'T SIGN THE CONTRACT JR! HA! HE DIDN'T SIGN IT!"

I wonder if Luck's shoulder is toast...

I would assume that Kraft promised him the HC job when Bill leaves. Which I feel will be this year or next at the very latest.
I could see if they had Jimmy G but they don't. I would have went with Luck and just tried to score a crap ton of points.
There could be some truth to his shoulder not being healthy as well.

Seems incredibly douchey to me. There's an interesting article by Indy Star writer Gregg Doyel:

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/co...304619002/

I know it's the pats,   but what will be left when bill leaves?  No franchise QB and A spoiled baby fan base that expects to be in the superbowl every year.... good luck josh.

Personally I think he would habe been better served to take the indy job and build his own team with an owner that has shown patience in spite of being a little screwy.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
I know it's the pats,   but what will be left when bill leaves?  No franchise QB and A spoiled baby fan base that expects to be in the superbowl every year.... good luck josh.

Personally I think he would habe been better served to take the indy job and build his own team with an owner that has shown patience in spite of being a little screwy.

I agree with this as well. At least you have Luck to come into work for.
The Pats have nothing after Brady. They aren't just going to grab a QB at 31 and have him be a star.

I think the Colts could sue McDaniels,  while he hadnt signed his contract yet,  its obvious he had agreed in principle to sign it and by doing so he IMO is legally responsible for any costs/damages incurred by the Colts when he decided to back out.  The Colts had already signed Mcdaniels coaching staff so they are now on the hook for those costs.  If I were Irsay.. I am lawyering up and getting a pound or two of flesh out of josh mcdaniels.

rumor is that the only reason that kraft interfered and offered the raise was to get back at the colts for deflategate... well lets see if Irsay fires the next shot or just takes it up the arse.