Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For Whom the Contract Tolls
Vikes may try to toll Bridgewater's contract

[Image: 9274.jpg]
Vikings GM Rick Spielman admitted there remains uncertainty whether Teddy Bridgewater's contract will toll for 2018, which would reject him free agency this year.
All three of Bridgewater, Case Keenum, and Sam Bradford are currently scheduled to become free agents on March 14. However, since Bridgewater spent the first part of the season on reserve/PUP, there may be a hurdle for him to clear for free agency. In the CBA, it says a player in the final year of his deal will have his contract toll another year if he spends the first six games of said year on PUP. "Right now, he’s technically ready to become a free agent," Spielman said. "With the tolling, it’s not a Vikings [decision], that’s an NFL and player union [issue] that will have to decide that." It sounds like Spielman could push for tolling but blame it on the league if it happens.

Source: ESPN 1500 Twin Cities

Feb 2 - 10:01 AM

if they are going to do it,   then lets get it going already.   no reason for this to get drug out before the lawyers get involved.

I believe the NFL has and or will side with the Vikings. NFLPA will then be up to bat

Funny... down the stretch here we couldn't even begin a conversation that considered Teddy being "tolled."

I think the front office is willing to put "business" aside when it comes to Teddy; they probably can't help but put themselves in his shoes when it comes to tolling his contract and just can't pull the trigger. The issue I think is, by not tolling his deal, all you are doing is staying in good grace. Thats great for negotiations, but it doesn't seal a deal. And if they can't get a "team friendly" deal done, they probably will end up wishing they would have just pissed him off.

I don't think they are afraid of a legal battle, I think they are afraid of alienating him and creating a reason for him to not want to be here.

...I also wonder if renewing the speculation gets a "set" contract figure in his agents' mind, and maybe he would accept/appreciate a new one year deal that pays him more guaranteed money than the tolled deal would.

Quote: @"Ralphie" said:
Vikes may try to toll Bridgewater's contract 

"With the tolling, it’s not a Vikings [decision], that’s an NFL and player union [issue] that will have to decide that."
Something doesn't add up with that headline.  Not sure what, but something seems off.

Of course they try to pin the blame on the blame shifting by the Vikings.

Quote: @"BlackMagic7" said:
Funny... down the stretch here we couldn't even begin a conversation that considered Teddy being "tolled."

I think the front office is willing to put "business" aside when it comes to Teddy; they probably can't help but put themselves in his shoes when it comes to tolling his contract and just can't pull the trigger.

I also wonder if renewing the speculation gets a "set" contract figure in his agents' mind, and maybe he would accept/appreciate a new one year deal that pays him more guaranteed money than the tolled deal would. 
everything out of the front office earlier this year said that it wasnt going to happen.  it was really a moot point.   I am guessing that they had every intention of bringing Teddy back prior to this season and planned on having him back in the swing of things at some point,  but when Sam went down and Case didnt screw up... well it was pretty hard to get Ted in there to make their decision to extend him apparent.

I agree that the talk of allowing the league to handle it is likely very much part of contract posturing for the Vikings,  both with Teddys agent but also the other two.  They are most valuable to the Vikings (although that is diminished with a new OC IMO)  so if those agents think the Vikes may be able to save money on Teddy (who by all reports from those with first hand knowledge are positive) then that would diminish the leverage that Sam and Case would have with the team.  However at the same time the team can approach Teds agent with an extension based on him possibly having to play for his 4th year money unless they can "work something out".

This could be good for the team,  or really blow up in their face depending on how long it takes to resolve.  If this pushes ahead the Vikes need to sign another QB quickly,  Sam, Case, Cousins,.... who ever,  and then deal with Teddy once the courts decide as I doubt that Teddy's agent would be wanting to do a deal until the courts rules on the tolling issue.

Quote: @"BlackMagic7" said:

I don't think they are afraid of a legal battle, I think they are afraid of alienating him and creating a reason for him to not want to be here.

...I also wonder if renewing the speculation gets a "set" contract figure in his agents' mind, and maybe he would accept/appreciate a new one year deal that pays him more guaranteed money than the tolled deal would.
Two very key pieces right there.  I don't think the Vikings want to even approach that fight, but you are right, mentioning it as a league issue makes it an unstated negotiation point.  The Vikings can look like good guys by simply "renegotiating" now.

Quote: @"greediron" said:
@"BlackMagic7" said:

Two very key pieces right there.  I don't think the Vikings want to even approach that fight, but you are right, mentioning it as a league issue makes it an unstated negotiation point.  The Vikings can look like good guys by simply "renegotiating" now.

Rick may be a little optimistic to say it's not in the Vikes hands.  Technically maybe, yes, but I don't know if Teddy's camp will see it as such.

My theory is that the Vikings' FO knows that all 3 of their unsigned veteran QBs has some uncertainties  and they are afraid to bet on ONE of them. Ideally they would get 2 QBs (+Sloter) under contract for 2018. But it's also very likely all 3 are negotiating with the desire to be the ONLY one signed, a "you're going to be our starter" vote of confidence, and the other 2 will drop as soon as the teams signs or tags one of the others. And/or it isn't even some explicit "only me" demand, but the expected money might be too much to sign 2 QBs if each wants starter money ($15M/year or more).
The new tolling discussion lets the Vikings effectively cease any discussion with Bridgewater, and they can honestly tell Bradford and/or Keenum, "We don't know what's going on with Teddy." It also gives pause to any other team that's thinking, "Maybe we can sign Bridgewater". I know none of the wooing of free agents is supposed to happen yet, but...I think it does.
Their dream may be to sign Bradford to an injury-protected, but potentially valuable, contract, and still get Bridgewater as his backup. A total of less than $25M/year cap hit at QB will still let the team extend Barr, Kendricks, Hunter, Diggs...