Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top targets for QB-needy teams in 2018
[Image: Keenum-TDs-from-Outside-the-Pocket.png]

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pr...eedy-teams

5.  "There’s always risk when there’s only one year of strong play, but it’s also hard to ignore the improvements made by Keenum in 2017. He took care of the ball, sprinkled in tight-window throws, and perhaps most impressive, made the Vikings’ makeshift offensive line look good for most of the year (if you’re into judging offensive lines on sacks alone). Keenum’s ability to avoid sacks helped keep the Vikings’ offense on schedule while his No. 5 ranking in avoiding turnover-worthy plays was reflected in his low interception total (seven). However, Keenum was armed with the best receiving tandem in the league in Stefon Diggs and Adam Thielen, both of whom ranked among the top-five receivers in contested catch percentage, just one measurement that shows their ability to elevate a quarterback’s game. Potential suitors should certainly keep the one-year wonder and supporting cast aspect in mind when evaluating Keenum, but there’s also a chance that he’s turned the corner in his career and worthy of a long-term deal."

Quote: @"Ralphie" said:
[Image: Keenum-TDs-from-Outside-the-Pocket.png]

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pr...eedy-teams

5.  "There’s always risk when there’s only one year of strong play, but it’s also hard to ignore the improvements made by Keenum in 2017. He took care of the ball, sprinkled in tight-window throws, and perhaps most impressive, made the Vikings’ makeshift offensive line look good for most of the year (if you’re into judging offensive lines on sacks alone). Keenum’s ability to avoid sacks helped keep the Vikings’ offense on schedule while his No. 5 ranking in avoiding turnover-worthy plays was reflected in his low interception total (seven). However, Keenum was armed with the best receiving tandem in the league in Stefon Diggs and Adam Thielen, both of whom ranked among the top-five receivers in contested catch percentage, just one measurement that shows their ability to elevate a quarterback’s game. Potential suitors should certainly keep the one-year wonder and supporting cast aspect in mind when evaluating Keenum, but there’s also a chance that he’s turned the corner in his career and worthy of a long-term deal."
To me, that is what makes Keenum my top choice. He makes things happen when plays break down. A full off-season as the starter getting first team reps will only help him improve. He wasn't the main reason we faltered at the end of the year. If Teddy can't find a Starter's job, I'd try to bring him back as well but of all three QB's we had on the roster last year, I think Teddy is behind the other two. 

I actually have a different take on that stat.  It means that about 1/3 of his TD passes came from outside of the pocket.  That's fine... but we need a guy who can ALSO operate IN the pocket.  I think that this stat actually works against him.  (Take, for consideration, those mentioned along-side him)  I think I'd prefer to see that most of his TD passes came from the pocket.
After having looked up the stats for "roll-out" QBs vs. pure pocket passers... it's pretty obvious that the "great" ones are the ones that can excel IN the pocket.  

[Image: Jimmy-G-Comp-Under-Pressure-768x432.png]

Also from the attached article...

Might as well include the other Vikings QBs

4. SAM BRADFORDWhen healthy, Bradford has been solid the last three years with flashes of brilliance. Health has always been a concern, but there’s also a fair argument that he’s never performed statistically above expectations, even in years with strong PFF grades. Bradford’s last two full seasons saw him post the top overall grades of his career (86.2 in 2015, 83.4 in 2016), as he showed excellent accuracy and decision-making in both seasons. Beyond the health issues, questions remain about Bradford’s aggressiveness and his ability to elevate those around him, but he appeared to be on the verge of a breakout (even eight years into his career), and he’ll warrant a look on the open market for teams that miss out on the top wave of signal callers.

7. TEDDY BRIDGEWATERThe big question for Bridgewater is health, as effects from his early-2016 injury remain an unknown. Prior to the injury, he was off to a solid start to his career, grading at 84.6 as a rookie in 2014 and 82.1 in 2015. Both years saw Bridgewater fall closer to a safe, game-manager rather than a gunslinger type as he was on the lower end on both big-time throws and turnover-worthy throws, so like other quarterbacks on this list, he may fit best with a team already equipped on the defensive side of the ball, Regardless of style, Bridgewater’s health is the biggest question that needs answering, but he may be the perfect low-risk, high-reward player in this cluttered market.