Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"At No Cost to the NFL"
This is about a week old so I suspect many of you have already read it. But I just stumbled upon it this morning. Fascinating if you're into the economic impact of the Super Bowl. 

...There was this 153-page document (2014 NFL list of wants from the city of Minneapolis), where the most common phrase was “at no cost to the NFL.” As a good-government person, I find it appalling you can charge $2-million ad time for 30 seconds, but they cannot pay for the (Minneapolis) Convention Center where they are selling their products.
They also have hundreds of unpaid volunteers helping out too …
They are volunteering for a multi-, multi-billion dollar corporation where every major stockholder (NFL owner) is a billionaire. And they are volunteering for them. I mean, that’s crazy … that being said, on the positive side, we do have evidence that locals do have some fun. Even if they are not at the game, it’s kind of fun having a big party. We do have some evidence that it makes us happy, even though it does not make us rich.
https://www.twincities.com/2018/01/26/ro...f=obinsite

The obligatory rich getting richer column...Rosario is a communist and yes, data can be tortured to tell whatever story we want right?  

All I care about anymore is winning a SB and (more importantly) we kept our franchise. This would have become Packer country if the Vikings were in LA today. 

We just went from 29 degrees yesterday to -5 in my backyard this morning with wind gusts of 30mph. That for my friends in the South means one hell of a windchill lol. MN will get plenty of press this weekend, now - on how cold it is here. I hope the Eagles fans are uncomfortable, very uncomfortable. Their players have been getting booed at events here from the locals. So much for MN nice Smile 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
The obligatory rich getting richer column...Rosario is a communist and yes, data can be tortured to tell whatever story we want right?  

All I care about anymore is winning a SB and (more importantly) we kept our franchise. This would have become Packer country if the Vikings were in LA today. 

We just went from 29 degrees yesterday to -5 in my backyard this morning with wind gusts of 30mph. That for my friends in the South means one hell of a windchill lol. MN will get plenty of press this weekend, now - on how cold it is here. I hope the Eagles fans are uncomfortable, very uncomfortable. Their players have been getting booed at events here from the locals. So much for MN nice Smile 
data ( and facts)can only be manipulated by being false or incomplete. we live in a time of completwitter.communication and data but many draw simple conclusions. hard to blame them as its exhausting to sort through the bulshit

Quote: @purplefaithful said:

I know it's not the players' faults with regard to how their fans behave, but unfortunately it is what happens when something like this course of events has taken place. Maybe the Eagles fans should  have had the forethought to NOT act like assholes just in case they WON the game and punched their ticket to the Minneapolis Super Bowl.  Then again, I think the Mensa member Packers fans have them over a barrel when it comes to "thought" in general, whether that be a forethought, afterthought or deep thought....*smirk*

volunteering for a mega billion dollar corp...

Sounds like the Ironman we have out here.  They run their races on the backs of volunteers.  Used to do it to help the high school football team, but recently they changed the compensation for the volunteer groups.  Now you have to "compete" to get a decent compensation and get voted as one of the better groups. 

I said screw that.  I am not wasting my time volunteering so they can get richer.