Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings still projected to receive two compensatory draft picks
https://www.dailynorseman.com/2018/1/28/16942390/vikings-projected-receive-two-compensatory-draft-picks

Vikings still projected to receive two compensatory draft picks
As things stand at the present time, the Minnesota Vikings only have 5 picks going into the 2018 NFL Draft. Their fourth round pick is currently owned by the Miami Dolphins , while their seventh round pick will go to the Seattle Seahawks in the trade that brought cornerback Tramaine Brock to Minnesota.
However, according to a pretty reliable source for these sorts of things, the Vikings will be back up to their regular number of picks,(7) thanks to the NFL’s Compensatory Draft Pick system.
According to the good folks from Over the Cap, the Vikings are projected to receive two extra selections from the Compensatory process. Their projections have both of those picks being slotted at the end of Round 6 of this year’s draft. Those picks will be compensation for the losses of wide receiver Cordarrelle Patterson and running back Adrian Peterson. (You can read more about OTC’s methods for projecting these picks at this link.)
The losses that teams experience in free agency can be cancelled out by players they’ve signed when it comes to the assignment of Compensatory picks. According to OTC’s “Cancellation Chart,” the Vikings’ losses of Matt Kalil, Rhett Ellison, Captain Munnerlyn, and Andre Smith were cancelled out by the signings of Riley Reiff, Mike Remmers, Latavius Murray, and Case Keenum.

Full article at link

Even though it sounds like we'll benefit this year, I'm not a fan of the comp system.

Great.  More late round picks for Spielman to trade down to get even more late round picks.

I expect plenty of movement (up and down) in this year's draft which is not a bad thing.

Although, I was upset that he passed on drafting Desmond King last year when he traded out of the 4th with the late 4th rounder.

Going into the draft again this year with roster depth it'll be interesting to see how the front office plans and executes the draft. It caught me off guard when they ended up making 11 picks last year. I'd assume they'll focus on getting back their lost 4th round pick. But I could also see them pulling a 180 and trading up the board significantly if they found a player they were in love with. 

Yep. Don't need that many fresh faces. A 3rd Down RB to replace Jet, but with Cook's versatility whomever it is won't get as many snaps. An OG to compete to replace Berger. A CB to replace Newman. A 3T in case Jaleel isn't ready. A rotational DE. Maybe another pass catching TE.

Some of these will be filled via Free Agency. Won't need to pick that many players. Time for Rick to zero in on specific guys and do what it takes to get them in the Draft.

Quote: @"FSUVike" said:
Yep. Don't need that many fresh faces. A 3rd Down RB to replace Jet, but with Cook's versatility whomever it is won't get as many snaps. An OG to compete to replace Berger. A CB to replace Newman. A 3T in case Jaleel isn't ready. A rotational DE. Maybe another pass catching TE.

Some of these will be filled via Free Agency. Won't need to pick that many players. Time for Rick to zero in on specific guys and do what it takes to get them in the Draft.
The QB cupboard is awfully empty right now.

Might be the right time to go a few quality picks, not quantity again. Hell, make 4 quality picks by end of round 5 and be done with it. 

I hope Rick doesn't do that trade down to the bottom of the draft stuff this year. I really don't like that. Why do we need to get a jump on rookie free agency? The team needs an influx of talent not camp bodies.