Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Final "What You Didn't See When the Cameras Were Off"
First, let me say, I know this loss hurts.  It seems that no matter what the Vikings do, for 41 years and counting, they just can't win the big game when needed. While we will always have the Minneapolis Miracle, we will also always have 41-Donut and 38-7.  White-washings on the big stage that are very embarrassing and disheartening for fans.

However, as fans bail and say "I won't ever invest in this team again, I'm done", or "we are cursed, simple as that", here are some things you may want to know:

* Philadelphia was also 14-3 and playing at home.   As we said on Twitter to frustrated fans, being pissed about the Vikings losing to another 14-3 team on the road, is akin to your child getting straight A's all year, but getting a 50 on one test.  You don't put them up for adoption, you help them see the mistakes and try harder.  Don't quit on them, it is not life, it is sports.  It is not a personal embarrassment that your sports team lost.

As far as the game on the field:

* It is hard to believe that the team that opened the game with a textbook 75 yard TD drive could go so stale so quickly afterward.

* Case Keenum was not your problem.  Yes, he got strip sacked and threw a pick where he was hit for a Pick 6.  Hard to blame him for those.  The late interception was him just trying to make a play when the game was already decided.

* The run game was strong early, and then it was abandoned in the 2nd quarter.

* Jerick McKinnon and Stefon Diggs appeared the only two players who really wanted to win.

* The injuries to the Offensive line were adding up.  Berger over to Center, Sirles in, Remmers playing out of position, Rashod Hill filling in.  Continuity mattered, and it was lost tonight.

* The offensive game plan after the first series was abysmal.  It felt like the Brad Childress offense all over again.  Check down, Check down and more check downs.  We never tried one deep throw.

* Adam Thielen was not healthy.  he bravely gave it a go, but he was about 60% with the bad back

* On defense, I don't know what that was.  The pass rush has been largely gone for the last 5- 6 weeks.  Nick Foles is not incapable, and the lack of pressure, couple with throws that were simply miraculous, doomed us.

* The team mainly had to defend Clements and TE Zach Ertz, but they appeared to no be interested in covering either of the top 2 Eagle receiving options. And, the Flea Flicker was simply a trick play, and those will work sometimes.

* Eric Kendricks, the Vikings leading tackler, looked out of place and step slow.

* The Vikings were snakebite all night.  They drove the ball well, but could not finish, and the defense was toasted.

* The fans of Philadelphia were as advertised.  Awful.  Rude, disrespectful and offering to fight anybody not in green.  They are an odd lot, and them offering to kick the asses of opposing team fans is a major black mark on their city.  Embarrassing.  It was not the late game SKOL chant mocking, they earned that right by pummeling the Vikings, it is just a brash, caveman mentality

THE KEY MESSAGE:
* For those not old enough to remember the Super Bowls, trust me, this game unfolded just like Super Bowl VIII vs Miami, and certainly Super Bowl XI vs Oakland.  They got punched in the mouth and never responded.  

The aftermath:
* Zygi Wilf looked physically ill.  Drained and clearly disappointed that his team came so close.

* We went to Mike Zimmer's press conference,  He spoke in hushed tones.  He said he was proud of his team and loved them as a unit.  You could tell he meant it.  He refused to rate his team's performance, and said the media was welcome to do that.  He said he could have called a better game, and his team fought.  He also answered 3 Chris Tomasson questions with quick yes's or no's.  You can tell he does not appreciate the poorly formed questions from Tomasson.

In the Locker Room
* Case Keenum was seen in the fringes of the showers taking congratulations from Kyle Rudolph and LeQuon Treadwell

* Speaking of Treadwell, he must be a hell of a blocker, because he is never open on pass routes.  When Jarius Wright is in, he makes catches and gets open.  Treadwell is just a constant decoy.  I'm not sure how Stacy Coley or Rodney Adams can't be an upgrade. 

* Riley Reiff buried his head in the crook of his arm at his locker with back turned.  We thought he was crying, but he was just frustrated.

* Adam Thielen was mobbed by reporters.  He walked very gingerly, and he really was hurt.  We talked to him and wished him well in the offseason, and he said, "I'll see you guys at camp".  Already thinking about next year.  He is truly one of the good guys.

* Anthony Barr was on crutches, as was Pat Elflein

* Speaking of Pat, his parents and sisters needed a ride because they stayed behind to care for Pat, as we learned that Pat broke his foot and was in a walking boot.  We drove them to their hotel, and they are wonderful people.  They say they really love the people of Minnesota

* We spoke to Harrison Smith, who said, "that was a tough night, but we always appreciate you coming to support us"  He's quiet, but a nice guy.

* Kyle Rudolph acknowledged it was a rough night, and as a veteran, you wonder if he thinks about how many more chances he will get.

* Jerick McKinnon was not euphoric, but his tone told you that he knew he had done all he could to win

* Eric Kendricks looked shell-shocked.  I think this game meant so much to him - he was the closest one to in tears.

* We spoke very briefly to Rashod Hill.  He was cordial, but quiet after the loss (not his personality to be quiet)

* Terence Newman was hugging teammates and telling them how much he appreciated their effort this year.  It sure felt like a retirement goodbye - we will see.

* Kyle Rudolph hugged Pat Shurmur and you could hear him thank Pat for all he'd done to help Kyle.

* We got to spend a few moments with Brian Robison's dad and wife, who both made the trip from Houston to see their son play.

* We only do individual interviews, but, we elected not to do them tonight.  The players surely did not want to talk football, and it was time to let them handle the sudden end of their season in their own way.

* We chatted briefly to Latavius Murray on the way out, and you could tell he likes being on this team.  We hope there is a role for him when Dalvin Cook comes back

* As always, Teddy Bridgewater got dressed in a flash and said nothing to anyone.  It would be nice if he stopped to even talk to his teammates after games.  I know the PR team keeps the QBs very limited for individual comments, but it sure seems like Teddy is stung by being deactivated.

* Sam Bradford is usually always with a PR person.  We've talked to him one time for about 12 seconds.  He appears shy, but it would be nice to hear from him too.

* Case Keenum did not look upset.  Let's face it folks, Case saved this season when Sam went down after the 1st game.  No, this was not his finest moment, but he gave us 13 fine moments in 2017.  Let's cut him some slack

* It sure seemed that this team was worn out.  I think it was awfully hard to let the Minneapolis Miracle go and to focus on the Eagles.

* Trae Waynes and Everson Griffen were with their wives, and they seemed happy to have family.  It hurts to lose, but in the end, they lost a game, not their families.

* In fact, that has been the largest learning point this season for us.  How much the players relish seeing the family that travels to support them and visit with them about something besides football.

* Paul Allen was there in the locker room saying goodbye to his "family".  He shared a few thoughts with us and asked us to say hello to the fans for him.

* Wobby was there too, and while a little down, Mike is always warm and friendly.

* Of course, I am older (I'm 53) so these guys look young, but what I saw last week was raw enthusiasm of youth, and tonight I saw guys searching for answers to questions they just haven't experienced yet.  They care.  They care what you think about them.  They will be back, but like us, they need a break.  

So, here's to the 2017 Minnesota Vikings, a team the surpassed every one of our wildest dreams. Most thought they'd be 7-9 or 8-8 (admit it), so to abandon them when the win 5-7 more games than you expected after losing their starting QB seems a little harsh.  But, it is your leisure time and your entertainment dollar, so you should feel good about how you spend it.  But, this team gave it their all, and will come back to try and take the next step.

It's been 41 years since our last Super Bowl, and ask the Cubs and Red Sox - the draught will have to come to an end sometimes.

I hope you will listen to this 85 second wrap-up to the season after the game at Lincoln Financial Field.  I think it sums up this team:

Thanks for the bonus coverage. I didn't expect any interviews. It was a rough night. We, the fans, will get up and go to work tomorrow. The team, on the other hand, will have a lot more to deal with. 

I'm certainly disappointed at the lost SB opportunity. But, quite honestly, this season was filled with fantastic memories and experiences. And that will be top of mind. I'm not done with this team by any means. Seriously, 14 and 3.

And lastly, after seeing video of Eagles' fans throwing beer cans and anything else they could get their hands on at the team bus when it was departing, I don't have a single positive thing to say about them.

i cant tell you how grateful i am for this last wrap up.  this team should be right back here next year.  we got our asses kicked tonight but this was an incredibly sucessful year.  And you are so right—its not a personal embarrassment that our team lost.  So, who will be QB next year? what pieces do we need to put us over the  top? we got bery close to a SB.  no reason we cant take that last step next year.  the window is still there and a lot of decisions tombe made. should be a fascinating off season.  love my Vikings.  And my viking brothers and sisters.  Skol.

That was probably your best job of the year Tom.   Why were they tired?   Was it hangover from the miracle play?

Love your coverage.   Thank you

This offseason, I expect the team to improve.  Draft position is terrible, but Cook is coming back and look at how Bradford upped his game with an offseason to work.  Plus, we seem to do pretty well with late picks.  A lot of contracts need to be dealt with, but that's always been a team strength.

I'm sure both Teddy and Sam would have liked to avoid all the "are you going to be in purple next year?" questions that they can't possibly have an answer for. 

I think you did the right thing Tom in pulling back after this game because doing a presser after a loss like that has to be hard.

Side note/rant here:

Personally, I'm very disappointed in seeing all the "if you win, hide your colors" posts around the web.  How do you take your kid to a game like that?  Fan base behavior is a problem in all sports in many cities, especially come postseason.  It should be addressed. 

I'm also a little miffed that opposing teams for the last two weeks have opted to mock the Vikings fan base.  Trash talking is part of sports.  But IMO the league should keep that kind of a thing out of the public eye and punish players and coaches for unsportsmanlike conduct for those kinds of displays.  The whole world is watching.  Focus on the good.  Don't teach kids that at the highest levels of sports you're supposed to kick someone when they are down.  Again, it's not just an NFL problem, but there can be an NFL solution.  I am proud that I rarely see that kind of behavior from the Vikings.  It's a reflection of the coaching staff. 

Thanks, Tom for all you've done this year. Great wrap-up of the season. I was not expecting any interviews. I commend you for taking the players' feelings into consideration.

Great job covering the team all year! I love the fact that Vikesfans.com covers the games this year. You add great and very interesting views from a fans perspective. Again great job Tom.

Thank you, Tom.