Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: Tom Petty died of accidental drug overdose...
Sad he was suffering so and sad we won't hear his music again Sad

The family statement, which also was posted on Facebook, said Petty, 66, had suffered several ailments before his October 3 death.
"Despite this painful injury he insisted on keeping his commitment to his fans and he toured for 53 dates with a fractured hip and, as he did, it worsened to a more serious injury. 
"On the day he died he was informed his hip had graduated to a full-on break and it is our feeling that the pain was simply unbearable and was the cause for his over use of medication," according to the statement from Dana Petty, his wife, and Adria Petty, his daughter.
The medical examiner's news release said the autopsy found these drugs in Petty's system: fentanyl, oxycodone, acetyl fentanyl and despropionyl fentanyl, which are opioids; temazepam and alprazolam, which are sedatives; and citalopram, an antidepressant.
The cause of death was "multisystem organ failure due to resuscitated cardiopulmonary arrest due to mixed drug toxicity" and the manner of death was "accident," the medical examiner's news release said. Petty also suffered from coronary artery atherosclerosis and emphysema, it said.

He had that unique voice that separated him from others. Great musician. I recently read an article about his bouts with depression and it the age of 5, in his own words, his alcoholic father beat the s**t out of him. As a teen he was looking for a way out and music was the pendulum that got him away. Loved his music and really enjoyed when he got with Dylan, George Harrison, Jeff Lynne and Roy Orbison in 1988 to form The Traveling Wilburys. RIP  

So tired of the same story. The family sounds like the consummate enablers. Who cares if he gave his all for his fans for his last 50 gigs? Just stupid. A true musical genius that threw it all away.  

Quote: @mgobluevikes said:
So tired of the same story. The family sounds like the consummate enablers. Who cares if he gave his all for his fans for his last 50 gigs? Just stupid. A true musical genius that threw it all away.  
Or, someone who was in so much ohysical pain that he took too many pain killers. Unless you know something different, why can’t it be what they said?

My father in law needs a new hip, but because of issues he has with circulation they cannot do the surgery. He is in constant pain. He never has a good day. There is no getting better for him, only pain.

Jesus, show just a little compassion!

Quote: @Riphawkins said:
@mgobluevikes said:
Or, someone who was in so much ohysical pain that he took too many pain killers. Unless you know something different, why can’t it be what they said?

My father in law needs a new hip, but because of issues he has with circulation they cannot do the surgery. He is in constant pain. He never has a good day. There is no getting better for him, only pain.

Agreed. Its also dismissive of how these artists feel about performing for their fans and that responsibility. He took that seriously. Chronic pain is no joke and its easy to dismiss for those that have never endured it.

Ive had three hip replacements (one broke) and a kidney transplant.  I tolerate pain better than most and seldom used the drugs they gave me but as time goes by the pain can really grind on you. 

Bone pain is intolerable.  Hips are core to most movements.  You cant sit, stand or lay down to get relief.

Putting down the meds after just a few weeks is really tough also.  Black moods, despair.  I cant imagine quitting after a few months or a year or more.

It took me a while to appreciate Petry’s unique style.  He will be missed. Sorry to hear he had a rough go of it at the end.

Holy shit...there are pharmacies with less drugs in them.  If he was on all that legally I have to question his medical team.

I'm going to miss his music,  it's likely just a symptom of getting old but crap I've been on a run of losing my favorite musicians the last few years. 

Oh well at least I still have nickleback.   B)

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
Holy shit...there are pharmacies with less drugs in them.  If he was on all that legally I have to question his medical team.

I'm going to miss his music,  it's likely just a symptom of getting old but crap I've been on a run of losing my favorite musicians the last few years. 

Oh well at least I still have nickleback.   B)
As I’m sitting here listening to some Marshal Tucker.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@Riphawkins said:
@mgobluevikes said:

Agreed. Its also dismissive of how these artists feel about performing for their fans and that responsibility. He took that seriously. Chronic pain is no joke and its easy to dismiss for those that have never endured it.
It's dismissive, because somebody, whether it was his doctor, manager, bandmates, or most importantly family, someone should have demanded that he take time off the road to get well. I guarantee you someone in his inner circle knew how many drugs he was prescribed, and didn't put a stop to it. THAT would have been the compassionate thing to do.  

Quote: @mgobluevikes said:
@StickyBun said:
@Riphawkins said:
@mgobluevikes said:

It's dismissive, because somebody, whether it was his doctor, manager, bandmates, or most importantly family, someone should have demanded that he take time off the road to get well. I guarantee you someone in his inner circle knew how many drugs he was prescribed, and didn't put a stop to it. THAT would have been the compassionate thing to do.  
Its not that easy. And you're naive if you think it is.