Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings GM Rick Spielman goes from the hot seat to collecting honors
There were questions about Rick Spielman’s future this offseason and if the Vikings general manager might be in trouble if his team again struggled following a disappointing 8-8 finish in 2016.
But if Spielman was on the hot seat then, he certainly isn’t now.
After making what proved to be several savvy moves that helped the Vikings finish 13-3 this season, Spielman is being recognized as one of the NFL’s best. On Wednesday, he was named Pro Football Weekly’s 2017 Executive of the Year. The award was voted on by an 18-person panel.
Spielman made many moves last spring and summer following a season in which the Vikings started 5-0 but then only won three of their final 11 games and missed the playoffs. That followed a season in which coach Mike Zimmer had led the Vikings to the NFC North title.
Spielman’s moves after 2016 included releasing future Hall of Fame running back Adrian Peterson and letting left tackle Matt Kalil and wide receiver/kick returner Cordarrelle Patterson walk in free agency.
http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2018/0...ng-honors/

Spielman’s most important move was signing backup quarterback Case Keenum to a one-year, $2 million contract in April. The Vikings were planning to have Bradford serve as their starter — as Teddy Bridgewater continued his recovery from knee surgery — but that plan lasted for only one game. Bradford ended up starting only two games this season because of a knee injury, opening the door for Keenum to take over and put together a year that is sure to earn him a big payday.
Keenum will get the start on Sunday when the Vikings play host to New Orleans in an NFC Divisional playoff game.
“We did a lot of film study on Case and felt like he might not have all the top physical traits as some of the top NFL quarterbacks, but he had the leadership, the competitiveness and the athleticism to fit in well for us,” Spielman told Pro Football Weekly, before adding, “I wish I could say I personally knew he’d be as good as he has been. Some guys get into their late 20s and just blossom, and he’s done just that.”

He was a little lucky that Kalil decided to sign elsewhere because he did try to sign him.  Can’t complain overall though.

He wasn't on the hot seat by anyone who pays attention. 

You have to wonder how the mediocre Dolphins feel about letting him go.

Quote: @Purplewhizz said:
He was a little lucky that Kalil decided to sign elsewhere because he did try to sign him.  Can’t complain overall though.
You try to sign a lot of players,  bUT the value that you put on them is often more indicative of your true interest than the mere matter of the attenpt.  If rick really wanted Kalil he would still be here.  The fact that he isn't is imo pretty telling.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Purplewhizz said:
You try to sign a lot of players,  bUT the value that you put on them is often more indicative of your true interest than the mere matter of the attenpt.  If rick really wanted Kalil he would still be here.  The fact that he isn't is imo pretty telling.
@Purplewhizz said:
What exactly is the value you put on a speed bump?

@Purplewhizz said:
Don't agree. He isn't here because the Panthers were willing to go the extra mile with a stupid contract. That doesn't change the fact that Minnesota wanted him very much. Because you might want someone doesn't mean you're willing to do whatever it takes, there's a salary cap. And I'll guarantee you Kalil wanted out of Minnesota. Getting lucky here is fine with me, but it shows that the LT position is premium and teams will do stupid things (like wanting to resign a subpar player at the spot-Vikings- and another team willing to pay a stupid amount for a subpar player-Carolina-). 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Purplewhizz said:
Don't agree. He isn't here because the Panthers were willing to go the extra mile with a stupid contract. That doesn't change the fact that Minnesota wanted him very much. Because you might want someone doesn't mean you're willing to do whatever it takes, there's a salary cap. And I'll guarantee you Kalil wanted out of Minnesota. Getting lucky here is fine with me, but it shows that the LT position is premium and teams will do stupid things (like wanting to resign a subpar player at the spot-Vikings- and another team willing to pay a stupid amount for a subpar player-Carolina-). 
Some make it sound like if Kalil had resigned that we wouldn't have tried to upgrade the position,  I don't buy that.  Kalil may have been offered a contract that would have allowed him to stay and compete but I still think we would have went after Reiff and other line improvements.  I don't know that the Vikings money was even close to what he signed for so if they weren't willing to make a high offer I think that is saying they were willing to let him walk unless he came at a discount...which thankfully he didnt,  but its like you said,  LTs are hard to find.

Rick had a great off season so I am not surprised that he is in the running for GM awards.

Reiff, Remmers, and Case were huge upgrades and bargains as free agents.  Murray proved to be a good and needed signing when Cook went down.  

We also extended a couple of our own young stars highlighted by a huge payoff in Theilan who is costing around 5 million for a top WR. 

So he did excellent in signing free agents and also resigning/extending our own.

Then you add the draft where he moved up for two instant starters in Cook and Elflein.  Rick knows what he wants and is not afraid to move up or down and play the draft with the best of them. 

Rick has been one of the Top GM's for a few years now and has built a solid roster with the help of his first HC hire Zimmer.  This roster is young, talented and should give us a solid 5 year window of NFC North dominance (2 out of the last 3 baby!) and playoff football. 

It is great time to be a Viking fan - Thanks Rick!