Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My take on fixing the review process ...(edited for clarity)
After watching some of the worst officiating performances this weekend I have come to a conclusion on how I would like to see replay changed.

first off there will be a timer,  once the play is called to be under review there will be a 4 minute clock set.  at the 3 minute mark all communications with new york will be shut down,  what ever is being discussed ends there,  and if the call isnt made by the 4 minute mark a buzzer goes off and the call on the field stands.  

and one more thing... no more slow motion review,  if the call isnt so obviously missed that live speed doesnt show it,  then its not such a big error that it should be reviewed.   there are so many instanced where its obvious to fans at home but the refs still screw it up.. then lets scrap it all together or put in some assurances that it doesnt clog up the game as much any more.  its asinine how bad the replays have turned out this year.

fixed camera positions for every stadium looking down each sideline from the backs of the endzones,  as well as down each goal line from both sides and cameras on the strings or drones that follow the plays from above from both directions down the middle of the fields as well as down each sideline.  if those 14 cameras dont catch it... it wasnt going to get caught.

any other ideas to fix the mess that replay has become?

I have always said, take it out of the hands of the coaches.  They shouldn't be responsible for catching and fixing blown calls.

There should be a watcher to catch obvious mistakes and he could buzz down to the head ref to say they may need to look at it. 

Other than that, I think they should do away with so much of it.  catch the obvious ones, but trust the judgment of the guys paid to do the job.

How about just getting rid of the old slow and visually impaired REFS!!!! There should be a farm system of full time refs that earn their way onto the field. This is just bizarre to see a 65 year old Ed Hockuly he's a dinosaur!

Quote: @"greediron" said:
I have always said, take it out of the hands of the coaches.  They shouldn't be responsible for catching and fixing blown calls.

There should be a watcher to catch obvious mistakes and he could buzz down to the head ref to say they may need to look at it. 

Other than that, I think they should do away with so much of it.  catch the obvious ones, but trust the judgment of the guys paid to do the job.
and for the love of God,  get full time refs that are graded after each game and have some sort of minimum proficiency standard as well as a pool of trainees to pull from,  this reffing has gotten to be so bad its really making the league look more like the WWF every day.

Quote: @"ATXVIKE" said:
How about just getting rid of the old slow and visually impaired REFS!!!! There should be a farm system of full time refs that earn their way onto the field. This is just bizarre to see a 65 year old Ed Hockuly he's a dinosaur!
funny,  i was typing the same thing.   i dont think its necessarily an age thing,  but they need to be graded and those that dont make the grade get dumped.  full time refs with training classes and such during the week.

but instant replay needs to be fixed.  even with the best refs you will have calls that get botched,  we need to be able to quickly get those calls fixed, fixed right,  and keep the games moving.

4 minutes????? 1 minute max. 

The things that bothers me most about challenges:

1. That
    they have a bias towards ruling something in a way that is challengeable.  They are biased towards TDs and TOs
    because they’re automatically challengeable.  But then they are also biased against
    changing things that aren’t 100% obvious clear.  It’s not as big an issue with TDs, but
    often they’ll not really see what’s going on, all of a sudden a defender
    has the ball and they rule it a fumble on the field because it’s
    reviewable, and then with replay it looks like it’s not a fumble, but it’s
    not 100% clear if a knee was down or something.
  2. That
    coaches can’t review stuff in the last 2 minutes.  So you’re at the mercy of the officials
    when the games most critical.
  3. That
    they can’t challenge everything.  If
    a ref misses an obvious game changing penalty, we’ll just pretend it didn’t
    happen?
  4. That
    refs can’t use instant replay to get the call right in the first
    place.  In one of the games (Saints
    vs Panthers?) this weekend a WR caught it near the sidelines.  The ref was clearly looking the wrong way,
    but decided to call it a catch, and the defense had to burn a challenge
    because the ref missed it and made a guess.  With review the WR was clearly out prior
    to catching the ball.  Other times,
    you’ll see the refs huddle up and argue about things and in the end they
    just pick one of them without being in consensus.  Just let the booth ref stream his take
    to the head ref’s headset.
  5. Bad
    Camera angles.  How often do they
    show you a replay where you can kind of see what’s happening but you miss
    a key detail because the cameras at a weird angle or you’re getting the D
    broadcast team, so they only brought 4 cameras with.  How is there not a fixed camera system
    in every stadium looking down the goal lines and boundaries?  They don’t even have to be broadcast
    quality cameras with the giant hoods and perfect color contrast, etc.  We’re spending a billion dollars for a
    stadium and we couldn’t throw in an extra $5M to ensure that there’s
    enough cameras to support instant replay? 
    I don’t even think the broadcast group should own them like the other
    cameras.  They should just be fixed
    within the stadium and be available to every broadcast team.

Part of the problem I have with instant replay (like it is anywhere near instant) is that they spend so much time looking at it that I think they convince themselves one way or the other. Look at it and make the call. You might get it wrong -again- but at least make the call

Quote: @"Mike Olson" said:
4 minutes????? 1 minute max. 
1 minute to get from the field to the replay equipment,  2 minutes to discuss with new york,  and 1 minute to have results announced and play resumed.  the ball will be set by the result of the play so it only has to be changed if the call is overturned and the play clock will be wound immediately with the game clock following the result of the play.   maybe cut all that to 2 minutes by only giving NY 1 minute to make their case, and only giving the ref 30 seconds to get in and out of the head gear,  but I think this all can be sped up. 

Quote: @"medaille" said:
The things that bothers me most about challenges:

1. That
    they have a bias towards ruling something in a way that is challengeable.  They are biased towards TDs and TOs
    because they’re automatically challengeable.  But then they are also biased against
    changing things that aren’t 100% obvious clear.  It’s not as big an issue with TDs, but
    often they’ll not really see what’s going on, all of a sudden a defender
    has the ball and they rule it a fumble on the field because it’s
    reviewable, and then with replay it looks like it’s not a fumble, but it’s
    not 100% clear if a knee was down or something.
  2. That
    coaches can’t review stuff in the last 2 minutes.  So you’re at the mercy of the officials
    when the games most critical.
  3. That
    they can’t challenge everything.  If
    a ref misses an obvious game changing penalty, we’ll just pretend it didn’t
    happen?
  4. That
    refs can’t use instant replay to get the call right in the first
    place.  In one of the games (Saints
    vs Panthers?) this weekend a WR caught it near the sidelines.  The ref was clearly looking the wrong way,
    but decided to call it a catch, and the defense had to burn a challenge
    because the ref missed it and made a guess.  With review the WR was clearly out prior
    to catching the ball.  Other times,
    you’ll see the refs huddle up and argue about things and in the end they
    just pick one of them without being in consensus.  Just let the booth ref stream his take
    to the head ref’s headset.
  5. Bad
    Camera angles.  How often do they
    show you a replay where you can kind of see what’s happening but you miss
    a key detail because the cameras at a weird angle or you’re getting the D
    broadcast team, so they only brought 4 cameras with.  How is there not a fixed camera system
    in every stadium looking down the goal lines and boundaries?  They don’t even have to be broadcast
    quality cameras with the giant hoods and perfect color contrast, etc.  We’re spending a billion dollars for a
    stadium and we couldn’t throw in an extra $5M to ensure that there’s
    enough cameras to support instant replay? 
    I don’t even think the broadcast group should own them like the other
    cameras.  They should just be fixed
    within the stadium and be available to every broadcast team.
i agree on the cameras,  the nfl dictates so many aspects of the games,  how can they leave something like replay up to the broadcast teams?  in fact they could get rid of the NY connection all together and have a review official in a booth with a small camera crew that can run the cameras for the best angles to get to the sideline for the review process.

or fuck it,  i will just give them my cell phone number,  then can shoot me the vid quick and I will give them the right answer immediately.