Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Vikings QB coach Stefanski nearing a coordinator job?
Is Vikings quarterbacks coach Kevin Stefanski grinding toward a coordinator job?If Shurmur moves on, would Stefanski move up? 

You know time flies when you look up and even young Kevin Stefanski has literally become an NFL graybeard.
Yes, it was 12 years ago that the Vikings quarterbacks coach was a 23-year-old kid packing up his car and following Brad Childress from Philadelphia to Minneapolis to be a teeny part of the staff that succeeded Mike Tice.
Today, the 35-year-old Stefanski is the longest-tenured Vikings coach. He’s watched 50 fellow assistants come and go. He’s coached Brett Favre, seen a stadium collapse and survived not one, but two head coaching changes.
And now, depending on how things go with Pat Shurmur and the Bears, Lions, Cardinals and Giants, Stefanski could become a candidate to succeed Shurmur as Vikings offensive coordinator after the season.
“That’s not something I’m even thinking about,” Stefanski said last week while discussing Shurmur and an offense that ranks 10th in the NFL in scoring (23.9).
“One thing I’ve learned in this business is if you keep your head down and work as hard as you possibly can, good things usually happen.”

http://www.startribune.com/is-vikings-qu...467752553/

Young offensive coordinators are all the rage. He's going to get an interview for sure with Minnesota when Shurmur leaves and probably will be offered the position. 

My question would be how well he can call a game. Some guys can be great coaches, but can't call a good game or adjust to what the opposing team is doing. Thus they fail as OC's or DC's
Just don't have any idea if he can call a good / great game

Quote: @NorthernCalVike said:
My question would be how well he can call a game. Some guys can be great coaches, but can't call a good game or adjust to what the opposing team is doing. Thus they fail as OC's or DC's
i agree,   unfortunately you dont know until you know... you know what i mean?

Quote: @NorthernCalVike said:
yep, position coaching is so much different than calling a game.  That is an art form.  And honestly, I don't understand all the hubub around Stefanski.  What has he done to warrant the attention?  He was a TE coach for quite a while wasn't he?  Now he got moved to QB coach and the QBs have done well this year, but what makes him a better candidate than our O-Line coach who has been a coordinator before? 

I wouldn't be so quick to write Stefanski in for the position. Based on the success of Shurmur/Edwards a re-tread head coach or current OC could easily end up in the role. I am not convinced that Darrell Bevell would be prevented from leaving Seattle, and Jim Caldwell could end up settling for an OC job. 

Sparano is right there on the staff if they want a retread. Not all retreads are good. 

And not all young guys know how to run an Offense just because they've been a Position Coach for a long time.

My personal example is FSU. Jeremy Pruitt was the DC of our last Title Team. He left (scandal with a coed while engaged) and was replaced by Charlie Kelly, the LB Coach.

I'd rather have the Charlie Kelly from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia than the idiot we've been stuck with the last four years! 

Now Pruitt is the DC at Bama who will become the new HC at Tennessee while FSU is starting from scratch because Bimbo Fisher was too loyal the underperforming Coaches on his staff.

The lesson here is beware of liking someone just because they are already In-House.

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
I wouldn't be so quick to write Stefanski in for the position. Based on the success of Shurmur/Edwards a re-tread head coach or current OC could easily end up in the role. I am not convinced that Darrell Bevell would be prevented from leaving Seattle, and Jim Caldwell could end up settling for an OC job. 
I would not mind Bevell back here with the right qb to pair him with.