Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adam Thielen's contract is a steal...
...  compared to what the Packers just paid Davante Adams.  I just looked it up on Spotrac and Adams is now the 4th highest paid WR in the NFL... just behind Antonio Brown, DeAndre Hopkins, and A.J. Green.  WOW.  Meanwhile, Thielen is sitting at 36th based on average salary per year. 
This is insane to me...  so I went back to look at what was said about the possibility of Thielen getting re-signed (and how much money the Vikings should pay him)... some of you might want to close your eyes.  LOL
http://vikefans.com/forum/index.php/topi...ntry595018
http://vikefans.com/forum/index.php/topi...2Bcontract
http://vikefans.com/forum/index.php/topi...1?hl=+adam +thielen +contract
I didn't bring this up to rub anyone's face in their past comments...  but who would you rather have right now?  Davante Adams at 14+ million per year?  Or Adam Thielen at around 5 million per year?

well hes getting 5.5 million next year which is still lower than some were willing to pay after last year,  so he is still a steal by that comparison even though IMO he is likely worth much more than that.

Rick gambled on Griffen and guessed right.  He gambled on Thielen and guessed right.   He gambled on Keenum and guessed right.  Sure, he's missed some, but his crystal ball is no clearer than Coach Zim Tsu's.  Those kind of gambles, when they work out, allow Brez all the more flexibility for others, to keep the roster diverse and healthy, instead of top-heavy.

Even with the escalators and incentives, he is a steal.  If he continues this trend, look for a reworked deal in a couple of years.

Thielen continues to outplay his expectations. He's outplayed his draft status, he's outplayed his contract, and now he's even outplayed his teammate Diggs, though I still think Diggs is the better receiver. It's all about timing and the Vikings made the right call on this one. 

This reminds me of what the Seahawks did a couple years ago. Seahawks were able to find gems like Kam Chancellor and Byron Maxwell and Richard Sherman and Russell Wilson in the mid to late rounds of the draft. Getting bargains like that and putting them together on the same team with 1st and 2nd rounders makes a team pretty tough to beat. 

Well, that's exactly what the Vikings have done. Thielen was undrafted. Diggs a 5th rounder. Griffen a 4th. Hunter a 3rd. Elflein a 3rd. That kind of talent combined with our high draft picks is why this roster is so strong. 

Quote: @"Montana Tom" said:
Rick gambled on Griffen and guessed right.  He gambled on Thielen and guessed right.   He gambled on Keenum and guessed right.  Sure, he's missed some, but his crystal ball is no clearer than Coach Zim Tsu's.  Those kind of gambles, when they work out, allow Brez all the more flexibility for others, to keep the roster diverse and healthy, instead of top-heavy.
And he seems to be getting better at what he does. Two of the last three drafts were home runs. The last free agent class was a grand slam. 

Stable, supportive ownership, effective and improving GM, good head coach, new stadium, new practice facilities, one of the best young rosters in the NFL, and $60M under the cap next season. It's a great time to be a Viking fan. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"Montana Tom" said:
And he seems to be getting better at what he does. Two of the last three drafts were home runs. The last free agent class was a grand slam. 

Stable, supportive ownership, effective and improving GM, good head coach, new stadium, new practice facilities, one of the best young rosters in the NFL, and $60M under the cap next season. It's a great time to be a Viking fan. 
Hopefully we can keep it together for a while and rival that hated franchise in Boston.  Consistency builds a culture that is hard to stop.

I think that while he looks to be outplaying his deal (in terms of receptions and yards - not TDs) it was his choice to accept the offer.

At the time of Thielen's deal he had just completed his 3rd season and had 89 receptions and 6 TDs.

At the time of Adams' deal he had just completed his 4th season and had 236 receptions and 26 TDs.

If Thielen would have waited a year he likely would have been signing a similar deal (probably a little less) right about now.

I think the deal with Thielen was fair and he seemed to really want to get paid last year too.  Of course Adams was under his rookie 2nd round pick deal and Thielen was playing for minimum salaries up to that point so Adams had made more up to that point.

Still, Thielen wanted money last year and did not want to wait which is always a risk.

In terms or production it was not even close.  And Adams had to do it with Hundley this year. 

Its been interesting to see how it has played out for the Vikings since I doubt it was their plan 'A'. Last off-season if they had been able to finalize Alshon Jeffery to a 2 year $25M deal I doubt they would have extended Thielen. Instead they would have let him play out his $2.7M RFA tender, leaving him as a UFA at the end of 2017. Instead they gave Thielen his incentive laden deal which he's clearly outperformed. 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
Its been interesting to see how it has played out for the Vikings since I doubt it was their plan 'A'. Last off-season if they had been able to finalize Alshon Jeffery to a 2 year $25M deal I doubt they would have extended Thielen. Instead they would have let him play out his $2.7M RFA tender, leaving him as a UFA at the end of 2017. Instead they gave Thielen his incentive laden deal which he's clearly outperformed. 
Jeffrey has been solid this year. 

But I'd rather have Thielen everyday of the week...guys got great hands, work ethic, and knows how to get open...