Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Defensive strategy question - Super Bowl edition
If the Vikes and New England both make it to the Super Bowl... would it be a good idea to put Xavier on Gronk?  Sure, he's giving up 5 inches and 50 pounds... but X-man is a strong dude.  I think we have the defensive backs to cover everyone else up.  Basically we'd be in Nickel the whole game, with Xavier as the extra DB- in man coverage vs. Gronk.  

Might be crazy (or stupid).  Just wondering what others thought...

I prefer not to think about it until it we get there.  Lets take care of divisional round first and then go from there.

Quote: @pumpf said:
If the Vikes and New England both make it to the Super Bowl... would it be a good idea to put Xavier on Gronk?  Sure, he's giving up 5 inches and 50 pounds... but X-man is a strong dude.  I think we have the defensive backs to cover everyone else up.  Basically we'd be in Nickel the whole game, with Xavier as the extra DB- in man coverage vs. Gronk.  

Gotta be Barr, but I hate taking him out of Double A Gap Blitzing looks. Other thing I would like them to do is move EG around, Play him some @ 3T and put DH at DE opposite Robison...

I have no clue what the best way to handle the Patriots will be. You should be glad that I'm not a coach.

I think you'd have Rhodes follow Cooks around and double team Gronk with a LB and Harry.  If he splits out wide or in the slot, I think you'd see Rhodes take him then.  Hopefully we get to see what Zimmer would actually do...

Absolutely not. The Vikings defense isn't predicated on playing TE's in man-to-man coverage. Putting Rhodes inside would basically show Brady the coverage pre-snap 9/10 times. If the Vikings do play the Patriots at any point they will sandwich Gronk between a safety and LB. 

Quote: @pumpf said:

What???

No need to reinvent the wheel.