Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If Sam Bradford is healthy, should he be Case Keenum’s backup in the playoffs?
The last time we saw Sam Bradford, he re-aggravated a knee injury that he suffered in a dominating Week 1 performance over the New Orleans Saints. Three months later, Bradford has a chance to be activated again.
Head coach Mike Zimmer said Wednesday that Bradford will practice next week and the Vikings will have the opportunity to bring him off injured reserve.
“He says he feels good,” Zimmer said. “He’s been working out and doing things. Getting on the field, he’s throwing the ball and doing workouts.”
The Vikings’ head coach would not commit to whether Bradford would be available during the playoffs.
“We’ll see when we practice,” he said. “All I’ve done is talk to him. I haven’t watched him work out or do any of those things.”
If Bradford does look good in practice next week, the Vikings would have a decision to make: Do they make Bradford the backup quarterback for the opening playoff game or Teddy Bridgewater?
The argument for Bradford starts with offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur, who designed the 2017 offense with Bradford in mind. In the one game he was healthy, the Vikings’ opening-week starter threw for 346 yards an three touchdowns against the New Orleans Saints – who the Vikings very well may face in the postseason.
Over the last two years, Bradford has appeared in 17 games. Bridgewater has only been in one game since the beginning of 2016, throwing two passes at the end of the Vikings’ win over the Cincinnati Bengals.
If there’s rust to be shaken off, Bradford has a lot less built up. And his knee injury wasn’t as severe as Bridgewater’s – not even close. For Bradford, the issue was pain. Bridgewater fought back from an injury that could have ended his career.
http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2017/1...-playoffs/

yes he should be

thats a no brainer, of course he should be

thats a question that can only be answered by those that see him in practice.  based on our last view of him and how limited he was and tentative to expose his knee to any contact... at all,  I would be tentative to say he should be in there.  it would be nice to see Teddy get about a half tomorrow to really shake the rust off and then get Sam a shit load of extra work the next 2 weeks so that the coaches can have a better feel for who to hand the ball to if something were to go south with Case in the playoffs.

When it rains it pours in Vikingland

After years of searching for a QB, we now have two former number one draft picks
Both fighting for the back up spot ?

Just one of several great stories during this historic season

I dont think any of us could have imagined this thread title right after game 2...

We would have been like "WTF, are you kidding?"

That's a tough call. As much as I love Bradford, he's not as mobile as Teddy, and he hasn't been practicing for weeks like Teddy has. After a couple weeks, Sam may show in practice that he's ready to go, but if the decision were made tomorrow it would likely be Teddy Bridgewater

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
thats a question that can only be answered by those that see him in practice.  based on our last view of him and how limited he was and tentative to expose his knee to any contact... at all,  I would be tentative to say he should be in there.  it would be nice to see Teddy get about a half tomorrow to really shake the rust off and then get Sam a shit load of extra work the next 2 weeks so that the coaches can have a better feel for who to hand the ball to if something were to go south with Case in the playoffs.
to be fair the last time we saw Teddy he was very tenative and limited. I just hope it doesnt become an issue. 

An X factor with Bradford is his knowledge of the offense and schemes Shurmar runs. He should have a solid understanding of what we have called in his absence and probably understands why we call certain plays.

He certainly will need to knock the rust off.

If Bradford can hang in the pocket and he's comfortable, he might be closer to "New Orleans" Bradford than "Chicago" Bradford. Chicago Bradford should probably be 3rd string behind Teddy. N.O. Bradford should be the #2. 

Hard to say without watching him go...

I think Bradford if he is healthy and ready to play.  I do have a follow up kind of question.  What happens financially if Case is injured, Bradford goes in, and also gets injured in the same or next game?  Does their contracts toll over to 2018?  If not, what is the cap impact?