Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Great read on Tim Irwin...
He was a vicious Vikings tackle. Now Tim Irwin changes kids’ lives as a juvenile court judge.
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. — Former Vikings offensive tackle Tim Irwin is 6 feet 7, 300 pounds, so it’s a good fit when he sometimes dresses as Santa Claus at Christmastime.
Irwin, though, doesn’t need a Santa suit and it doesn’t even need to be December for him to provide gifts to youth in Knoxville.
Irwin, who played right tackle for the Vikings from 1981-93 and was named one of the “50 Greatest Vikings” during the team’s 50th season in 2010, has been a Knox County Juvenile Court judge since 2005.
It is a demanding job. Many of Irwin’s cases involve having to take children away from parents because of problems in the home and place them in foster homes.
Irwin, though, is known for the benevolent manner in which he deals with kids going through the trauma of legal proceedings. In his court, staff hand give stuffed animals to kids and therapy dogs help put youngsters more at ease.
https://www.twincities.com/2017/12/23/ex...urt-judge/

Guy could block kicks well too if I'm remembering that right! 

I read another story about his work as well. Thanks for sharing. He is making a difference. Good stuff. 

The year we drafted Tim Irwin out of Tennessee I spent part of that summer just before my senior year working on my Uncle's farm in Kansas. I brought several of my "Viking Reports" (who remembers those?) and became inspired by Irwin's bio. I have no recollection of what exactly it was about him that inspired me—especially considering I was a cornerback!!—but I distinctly remember thinking of big Tim Irwin every time I lifted a hay bale or a barbell.