Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings’ Xavier Rhodes: ‘I believe I’m the best’ cornerback in the NFL
NFL fans have declared Xavier Rhodes the best cornerback in the NFL. He does not disagree.
“Of course I believe I’m the best,” he said Wednesday.
Rhodes finished with more votes than any cornerback in fan voting for the Pro Bowl this week and was one of four Vikings selected for the game. Being picked for the second consecutive year and first time as a starter, Rhodes was joined by defensive end Everson Griffen, linebacker Anthony Barr and receiver Adam Thielen.
Rhodes has earned a reputation as a shutdown corner thanks to impressive games this season against Pro Bowl receivers Antonio Brown of Pittsburgh, Julio Jones of Atlanta, Michael Thomas of New Orleans and A.J. Green of Cincinnati.
“It’s all about your play,” he said. “It’s all about how you go out there and what you do on the field and on the tape, and if your play shows that you’re the best, that’s what it is.”
Rhodes’ mentor, former NFL cornerback Terrell Buckley, is a tough critic. Since Buckley was a Florida State graduate assistant and coached Rhodes as a freshman in 2009, he has provided tough love and professional advice.
Buckley, though, said there isn’t much left he can offer Rhodes.
“I do believe he’s the best cornerback in the NFL,” said Buckley, who played in the NFL from 1992-2005 and is now defensive backs coach at Mississippi State. “This year, he’s said, ‘I’m the guy, and I’m going to play like it.’ ”
https://www.twincities.com/2017/12/21/vi...n-the-nfl/

Agreed. Ok that was an easy one. It's amazing how far he has come. I think his jersey is going to be under my tree.

I'm more stunned that Terrell "windmill" Buckley is XR's mentor. Wink

Rhodes is physically a beast: big, long and strong. Great speed. He's physical. They just don't come along like this very often. He's evolved to this point. Its great that he's only 27 years old. Should get 5 excellent years out of him yet. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
Rhodes is physically a beast: big, long and strong. Great speed. He's physical. They just don't come along like this very often. He's evolved to this point. Its great that he's only 27 years old. Should get 5 excellent years out of him yet. 
Unless he makes Newman his new longevity mentor. In which case we could get a dozen more years of high level play out of him.

Quote: @dadevike said:
@StickyBun said:
Unless he makes Newman his new longevity mentor. In which case we could get a dozen more years of high level play out of him.

I'd like this thrice if I could Dade....