Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Everson Griffen says Vikings pass rush ‘scared’ Falcons QB Matt Ryan
[Image: vikings-falcons-2nd-half019.jpg?w=509]

ATLANTA — The Vikings didn’t have a sack Sunday on Atlanta quarterback Matt Ryan, but they scared him plenty.
At least, that was the word from Minnesota defensive end Everson Griffen after the Vikings’ 14-9 victory at Mercedes-Benz Stadium.
“If they’re scared to throw the ball down the field, then they’re not going to score so many points,” Griffen said. “They were scared of our rush. We affected him. We didn’t get any sacks, but we affected him in many ways. We got pressure in his face. We hit him. So that’s all you can ask.”
With Ryan getting rid of the ball quickly against the Vikings’ pass rush, he completed just 16 of 29 passes for 173 yards with a long completion of just 20 yards. Ryan had a passer rating of 72.9 after entering the game 10th in the NFL with a rating of 97.2
“They are a very good defense,” Ryan said. “We knew it was going to be tough sledding at times, but we’ve got to be more productive and put ourselves in better positions.”

http://www.twincities.com/2017/12/03/eve...matt-ryan/

After the Vikings’ 24-7 win over the Los Angeles Rams on Nov. 19, Griffen said Rams quarterback Jared Goff became fearful of throwing downfield because of Minnesota’s pass rush.
“If they can’t throw the ball down the field, they can’t score no points,” Griffen said of opponents. “When we did get (the Falcons) in third-and-long situations, we were able to rush, and we affected them.”

Sunday marked Minnesota’s first game at first-year Mercedes-Benz Stadium. The Vikings opened U.S. Bank Stadium last fall. Griffen said there is no comparison between two of the NFL’s best (and newest) stadiums.
“U.S. Bank Stadium is way better and it’s way louder,” he said.
Griffen did acknowledge Mercedes-Benz is a “nice stadium.” He wasn’t too happy, though, with the turf, especially after the Southeastern Conference championship game was played there the day before.
“I don’t like the turf,” Griffen said. “I think the turf was too soft, but I think because they played a game (Saturday) night on it, so it was soft.”

Griffen likes to give other teams and players good bulletin board material. I wish he just shared his opinions about the opponents' lack of courage and laziness only with his teammates and kept all that stuff in the lockerroom.  

The Viking's D gets in team's heads, you can see it. They are athletic and play fast. They know Zimmer's schemes now like the back of their hands. 

Everyone has bought in and just does their job...

Quote: @StickyBun said:
The Viking's D gets in team's heads, you can see it. They are athletic and play fast. They know Zimmer's schemes now like the back of their hands. 

I also think it is more impressive when you just show up, do your job, shut the other team down, and say, "That was a good team we just played."  Knowing that you just held them to 3 field goals in their own home and kept their best player in check the entire game. And the message to every other team, that's the best that a good Atlanta team at home can do against this defense. 9 lousy points and what?, 25 yards for Julio.

Quote: @StickyBun said:

Perfect example was that first throw to Mr. 2 catches for 24 yards...999 out of 1000 times he catches that ball...

It’s kind of a deceiving headline.

The headline makes it seem like Ryan is a pussy, but the
quotes in the article just made it seem like they didn’t have enough time to go
deep.  You could probably say the same
thing about our offense.  They weren’t
really going deep.  Is it because they
were scare or smartly executing the gameplan?

Quote: @dadevike said:
Griffen likes to give other teams and players good bulletin board material. I wish he just shared his opinions about the opponents' lack of courage and laziness only with his teammates and kept all that stuff in the lockerroom.  
He should share it in via twitter like some other dude who needs to shut his mouth.  The last thing you want to do is give the opposing team something to hang their hat on when the playoffs come. 

There's gonna come a day when Vikings fans are going to like and WANT their players to be brash, bold, and loud talkers. They may have to win a Superbowl or two first, though.... Big Grin
In contrast, a Packers fan would eat that shit up, belch, and cheer for more....