Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The QB Controversy That Shouldn't Be
(I don't know if this has already been shared)

Here's some brutal analysis:

"You know how, when someone you really care about goes away for a long time, your memory forms a lore regarding that person. You remember them as funnier, smarter, wiser and nicer than ever before? When that person returns, you’ve practically canonized them.This has happened to the Vikings with Teddy Bridgewater. Everyone in the organization admires Bridgewater. They were sick when he blew out his knee in August 2016. And now that Bridgewater is healthy, the question that has moved front and center is: When can we get him back on the field? Even though Minnesota is 9-2 and fill-in quarterback Case Keenum has only elevated his surprisingly high level of play since Bridgewater was activated, the conversation about Bridgewater has not disappeared. But it should."

Discuss.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/11/29/minnesota-vikings-qb-controversy-teddy-bridgewater-case-keenum 
LET'S WREAK SOME FUGGIN' HAVOK, VIKINGS!!! SKOL!!!

Its one opinion that some share....and its certainly debatable. Honestly, I think there's room for all kinds of gray in this area, but ultimately I think we can agree that the way Keenum is playing right now he shouldn't be sat down. One week at a time. Teddy just keeps getting needed reps and getting even stronger as he bides his time as the #2. Its all good right now.

I don’t agree with the premise that only people who had
favorable opinions of Bridgewater are subject to their opinions appearing
rosier over time.  I think it works both
ways.  The people who are biased against
him are just as likely to be ignoring all the good things he did and only
focusing on the bad.

I think there’s a couple things that are for certain.  Keenum is currently playing very well.  Keenum has never played this good
before.  This offensive system and
personnel are dramatically better than anything Keenum, Bradford, or
Bridgewater has played with before.  We
don’t know how good Bridgewater will be without seeing him play.

Keenum has definitely bought himself some distance from his
critics with his improved play in the last few weeks.

Quote: @medaille said:
 We
don’t know how good Bridgewater will be without seeing him play.
We don't, only a select group of people do.

Case has shown improvements over the last couple of games and deserves a long leash.  But I would lie if I am not a bit worried about Atlanta based on the type of defense they play versus Case's strong and weak points.

The original "controversy" is quieter than the controversy around the controversy...

Color me just a little bit cynical when you can easily call up similar articles about Bulger, Foles and Delhomme.  And a dozen others. And he keeps comparing 2015 TB to 2017 CK, which is absurd in a serious analysis. But whatever....I'm all for Case keeping his mojo going....            

Me too...Hell, ride it as long as the horse is running hard. Keenum has earned the starts and for the good of the Vikings organization (which ultimately we all care about more than one, individual player) I see no reason to have to proclaim him long-term anything yet.

S hit, if he helps us win our first SB? I'll go buy 3 Keenum frigging jerseys, frame em all and then go pimping him hard for starter for life lol! 

There really is no controversy re who should start next week. And Case seems to be getting better as the season goes on. Maybe the simple and obvious answer is correct:
as a young QB, Case played on some bad teams and was a marginal player. As he has gotten more experience,  with better talent around him, and in a better offensive system, he is becoming a very good QB.

Teddy is a "feel good story" but the fact is he has never played better than Keenum is right now and nobody knows how he will play or how the knee will react to the injury. Keenum has absolutely earned the starting job with his play and the way he has won over the locker room.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
 And he keeps comparing 2015 TB to 2017 CK, which is absurd in a serious analysis. But whatever....I'm all for Case keeping his mojo going....            
There's really no real game footage of TB to use after the 2015 season.

I do wonder where the kid is at in his development, and how he'd be doing for us...but the truth is that Case is currently better than Teddy has proven to be.  It's not apples to oranges as it's a new system, and Case is older/more experienced...but yeah, it's a mess.