Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Case Keenum won me over

....until he loses a game and looks bad doing it. Keenum is in a tough situation. If Teddy didn't exist for this team, the fan base would be losing their shit over the guy right now. But there's two lingering feelings, fairly or not, with some fans: Teddy would do as well or better with this '17 version of the Vikings and that Keenum is just smoke and mirrors and the other shoe will drop on his play...soon.

Its really not fair to Keenum, but he's on a short leash despite his great play. Its a weird situation somewhat.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
....until he loses a game and looks bad doing it. Keenum is in a tough situation. If Teddy didn't exist for this team, the fan base would be losing their shit over the guy right now. But there's two lingering feelings, fairly or not, with some fans: Teddy would do as well or better with this '17 version of the Vikings and that Keenum is just smoke and mirrors and the other shoe will drop on his play...soon.

Its really not fair to Keenum, but he's on a short leash despite his great play. Its a weird situation somewhat.
Life isn't fair in many aspects.  Case knew the situation when he signed and he is paid well to do that job.

That said, I do think Teddy could be better in this offense than Case, but each week Case makes it harder and harder to think that.  He played very well last week.  Seeing improvement is a good thing.  Each week the smoke clears a little and we can see that maybe it wasn't mirrors. 

Hard to say, I am just enjoying the heck out of this season.

Case is a gamer, he's also a bit of a gambler.  My view is he has been pretty lucky so far running around and chucking it up there.  You want a guy to be willing to let his guys make plays for him and he has done that to a 'tee'.  Problem is QB's that are gun slingers usually have better arms to back it up.  Not that his arm is weak its NFL average but to really be slinging it around into contested windows you usually need a better arm to avoid the interceptions and sacks.  He is fun to watch and on a roll, I think we are seeing the ceiling of what he is capable of.   I think Teddy is very similar but more heady and more game aware and better at working within the system and situation.  He isn't the gunslinger/risk taker which he does need to be better at but he finally has the players and system to allow that style to succeed if it isn't ingrained into his head to not take risks.  Each week that Case continues his success without a melt down I get more comfortable going into the playoffs with him.  I'd really love to see Teddy come in and show he is healthy and taking that next step in his development so he can be ready to take over if Case gets hurt or stumbles.

It's fun to watch right now, they only thing that can make it better is to see Teddy come in and also tear it up.

Quote: @NodakViking said:
Case is a gamer, he's also a bit of a gambler.  My view is he has been pretty lucky so far running around and chucking it up there.  You want a guy to be willing to let his guys make plays for him and he has done that to a 'tee'.  Problem is QB's that are gun slingers usually have better arms to back it up.  Not that his arm is weak its NFL average but to really be slinging it around into contested windows you usually need a better arm to avoid the interceptions and sacks.  He is fun to watch and on a roll, I think we are seeing the ceiling of what he is capable of.   I think Teddy is very similar but more heady and more game aware and better at working within the system and situation.  He isn't the gunslinger/risk taker which he does need to be better at but he finally has the players and system to allow that style to succeed if it isn't ingrained into his head to not take risks.  Each week that Case continues his success without a melt down I get more comfortable going into the playoffs with him.  I'd really love to see Teddy come in and show he is healthy and taking that next step in his development so he can be ready to take over if Case gets hurt or stumbles.

It's fun to watch right now, they only thing that can make it better is to see Teddy come in and also tear it up.
I agree with all of that except for his arm strength. I think it is actually below average  by NFL standards. But he makes plays.

Maybe he is a QB who should not be allowed to get too comfortable. He already has a tendency to take chances. Perhaps knowing that his leash is not as long as that of a permanent starter has the effect of tamping down his crazy side. If he were the annointed, undisputed starter, he may feel free to let the ball really fly all over. Not good when you have this defense to lean on. 

We could be watching Case really developing his QB decision making skills.  He certainly seems to be doing a better job of calling protection at the line. Think back to the first Detroit game where he left Zettle unblocked only to be sacked by him to kill a TD drive. 

Teddy was improving as a QB and he dealt with a crap oline but I don't see the argument tat he'd just step on the field a year and a half later and be right back to speed and ready to take the next leap to playoff ready

What I like about both is that their teammates love to play for them, they both deal with the pocket very well, and are real leaders.  The main difference I see in them is Case's attitude as in "I don't give a F" when throwing the ball. That bit of recklessness in him.

Quote: @Akvike said:
Teddy was improving as a QB and he dealt with a crap oline but I don't see the argument tat he'd just step on the field a year and a half later and be right back to speed and ready to take the next leap to playoff ready
Back up QBs that don't get live reps and don't have the experience Teddy has step in cold and have success.  No reason he can't.  I expect there to be some rust and it may take a couple half's or games to find a groove but I think too much has been made of missing a season-he's not the first guy to spend a season on IR.

It's important to note:

That Keenum and Theilen worked EXTENSIVELY over the summer...dare I say even EXCLUSIVELY.

Is it any coincidence that they are both having such success this season?

I love Teddy, but Why anyone would upset the apple cart at this point is a head scratcher.

The opinion piece above is just reiterating what most of us have been saying for the last month: Case is playing remarkably well. Yes, he had one terrible game and three pretty bad throws in another game, but he's won 7 straight, actually seems to be improving, and the team is winning. Keep it going. Teddy is probably the future, but Case "has earned the right to be the team’s starting quarterback for as long as he continues to play at the level he has." Yeah, of course. No one is arguing any different. Not Zimmer. Not even Teddy. That's hardly a bold take.