Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: Did Amelia Earhart Survive the Crash?
A newly discovered photograph suggests legendary aviator Amelia Earhart, who vanished 80 years ago on a round-the-world flight, survived a crash-landing in the Marshall Islands. 
The photo, found in a long-forgotten file in the National Archives, shows a woman who resembles Earhart and a man who appears to be her navigator, Fred Noonan, on a dock. The discovery is featured in a new History channel special, "Amelia Earhart: The Lost Evidence," that airs Sunday. 

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/amel...to-n779591

History Channel with programming about history? Since when?? ;-)

That pic they found is quite intriguing - Looks like her on the dock as well as her co-pilot - and looks like the big ship she is looking at is towing a plane. I think there is a good chance she did survive and was captured by the Japanese. Supposedly the US Gov. new this. There are specific documents missing (of course they would be missing - we need a good conspiracy story here!). 

The Fred Noonan pic is supposedly especially telling as he had a pronounced widow's peak hairline and larger nose, just like this pic. Its hard to know what's real today. It isn't that far fetched that they survived a plane landing in the ocean after being blown off course, especially if it were near a beach on one of the Marshall islands. They were highly competent aviators. Our relationship with Japan was horrible during this time.

I guess they'll reveal their evidence about her capture and death in a Japanese POW camp during the show.  If true, a very inglorious ending to say the least.

Quote: @Ralphie said:
I guess they'll reveal their evidence about her capture and death in a Japanese POW camp during the show.  If true, a very inglorious ending to say the least.
You would think the Japanese would have records of this? Least they would if they were as thorough as the Germans were. 

It's an interesting theory.  A lot of government paperwork from that era had a habit of disappearing.  If I've got free time during that time frame, I'll be watching to see what they've got for more proof.

Quote: @AllBS said:
It's an interesting theory.  A lot of government paperwork from that era had a habit of disappearing.  If I've got free time during that time frame, I'll be watching to see what they've got for more proof.
I got my timer set to watch it too...

History Channel?  ...Hopefully they will not slip in an Ancient Alien link.

Dammit, I'll probably have to watch to find out now.....