Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LockerRoom - What you Don't See when the Cameras are Off
As people who have been allowed into the locker room of an NFL stadium, our job is to get a story, a soundbite or a quote from a player.

But, some of the best things we experience is when the cameras are off.  For instance, yesterday:

* Linval Joseph sharing a laugh with us when he asked "hey, did the fans like it when I photo-bombed your interview with Pete Bercich last week?"

* Adam Thielen ALWAYS thanking people for taking time to talk to him, vs the other way around.  Adam wished non-football players a happy thanksgiving and safe travels home.  He is a class act.

* Brian Robison came up to us and said, "Hey, how are you guys doing?   Glad you could make it out here with us".  

* Harrison Smith came over to us on his way out and shook hands and with a big grin said, "thanks for all you do, and I hope you have a great Thanksgiving"

* Pat Shurmur after the game in the locker room - I had never seen someone look so happy and content.  He was joking and laughing with his offensive players.  They really like him.

* Xavier Rhodes - you'd think a star of a team would be affected by his fame.  He isn't.  He is the same playful personality he was as a rookie.  He has a great sense of humor, and until his INT, he did not have his best game yesterday.  In fact, he talked to few in the locker room, but he is always gracious to give us some time.

* The Offensive Lineman - Rieff, Berger, Easton, and Elflien stick together like best friends in grade school.  They take a little longer to get showered and leave, as they seem to enjoy their camaraderie with each other, and slowly get ready after wins, to share the experience they helped accomplish.

* Teddy Bridgewater - was in a good mood, and seemed genuinely happy for Case and his performance

* Case Keenum - he is getting lots of attention after games from trainers, but not because he is hurt.  No, he is getting help removing his pads, so he can take the spotlight at the big national pooled interview with Zimmer.  QBs are never allowed to do interviews in the locker room.  They are off limits, but Case will talk to you, off the record. He is a good and unassuming guy.  Case was hanging with his family after the game.

* Jarius Wright - he goes out of his way every game to say something to us before the contest.  He is sneaky-fun with his teammates, but very mature and great to fans, media and all others.  It was great to see him with his family outside the buses after the game.

* Latavius Murray - we decided to go out of our way to get to know Latavius when he was injured in camp.  All eyes were on Dalvin Cook, and he was pretty much off limits to the press outside of an occasional pooled interview.   We got to know a pretty funny Latavious Murray, and we've interviewed him several times.  It was personally satisfying to see him being in high demand for interviews yesterday.

* Jerick McKinnon - is usually jovial, but was pretty quiet yesterday.  I think he took a pounding and was feeling it a bit (like all players do).  He was one of the last out of the locker room, but, if you meet him somewhere in Minneapolis, meet him.  He has a fantastic personality.

* CJ Ham  - if only he were not a Fullback, you guys would get to know more about a very gentle and nice person.   He is always the first to say hello to anyone.

* Eric Kendricks - just one word - FUN!

* Mike Wobschall - when you have a conversation with Mike, his focus is always on you.  He shares information readily that helps us do our jobs, and he seems glad to talk to everyone near him.  He is an underrated talent, and he has deep football knowledge.  Best of all, he is a doting family man.

* Greg Coleman - This guy is doing exactly what he wants to do in life.   He looks you in the eye, and has an engaging personality that makes you want to tell him what's on your mind.  He's almost like a preacher - you trust him.

* Paul Allen - is usually in the locker room after games and has good rapport with the players.  He reminds me of a proud father, whether these guys win or lose.  They have become his family, and he cares about them and this team.  It is NOT just a job to him.

* Ben Leber - one of the calmest people I have ever known.  He will spend 15 minutes with you talking about anything and everything.  If you find yourself sitting at a table with Ben for a meal, count yourself lucky - he is a smooth communicator and cares more about what you are saying than what he talks about.

* Rick Spielman - he stands outside the locker room door after each game, win or lose, and talks to every player going in.  He is full intensity during the game in the press box - he cares VERY much about how this team does.   For those who don't know, he is great with fans, and is huge family man.

After the game, the Viking players came up the tunnel in a single-file line, and there was not a lot of hooping and hollering.  They were spent after 2 games in 4 days.  But, the excitement level picked up in the locker room, after the realized the win, and knew they were getting a few days off.

Finally, enough can't be said about Eric Sugarman who checks on every player after the game, and the equipment staff.  Players get dressed fast, because they want to go home, there is much left on the locker room floors, and these guys sweep it up and gladly get the team ready to go home and get ready for next week.

Yes, playing in the NFL is a job, but the thought you are left with when you see them together off the field, is, they are one big family - players, coaches, front office support and the Viking Radio Broadcast team.

I love this segment you do after each game. This gives real insight behind the curtain. Keep it up.

This team is truly filled up with a bunch of good guys that are also really good football players.  Easy to root for.
I would also agree that Jerick McKinnon has a great personality... I still laugh when I think about your interview with him from a couple years ago.  I think you were asking players what they would do if they weren't in the NFL...  Jerick said, "I'd be a SUPER HERO!"  LMAO
Thanks for sharing this with us, Tom.

Your efforts are much appreciated....Thanks Tom

One of the best posts that I've read in a long time.  Great insight Tom, thank you!

Thanks Tom. This is great info you won't find ANYWHERE else. Almost like being there with you.

I count these insights as some of the most enjoyable and valuable on this site -- and I think this is a terrific site!  Thank you for all you do!

I remember when all we wanted was a message board... Thanks Tom and Mike for seeing this vision through.   Looking forward to many more years with you guys as we all continue to grow this site.

The insights and information on this board are truly the best A Fan could ever hope to get.

Much Thanks to you, Tom.

You do a fantastic job.

Quote: @Purplemachine said:
Thanks Tom. This is great info you won't find ANYWHERE else. Almost like being there with you.
Fantastic, that's what I try to do.  It's so much more fun to share the little details you don't see on broadcast TV