Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Harrison Smith is making a case for defensive MVP
There isn’t a good stat to tell us the impact of a safety on his team’s defense. Harrison Smith has three interceptions, 1.5 sacks and 53 tackles. Here’s the disconnect: That stat line could belong to just about any safety in the league, but a deeper dive reveals that Smith’s belongs in the conversation for the NFL’s Defensive Player of the Year.
http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2017/1...nsive-mvp/

But Smith brings a different level of value to his team that was shared by the last safety to win DPOY, Troy Polamalu. Few safeties are as dynamic and cause more havoc for quarterbacks, whose first look at the line of scrimmage is back at the safeties – but Smith often changes that look before the snap.

My love for Dirty Harry grows brighter with every season that passes.

Enjoy him while he's here and playing at a high level. Players like him are rare plumage...

The problem with any Viking winning NFL defensive MVP is first winning Viking defensive MVP.  I'd be hard pressed to narrow it down to our top 3.  Griffen, Joseph, Barr, Kendricks, Rhoades, and Smith could all lay claim to a spot.

I'm trying to think of a safety in franchise HISTORY who has been better than Smith...Browner might be close, but Smith is asked to do so much more than Joey ever was plus the game now is so tilted in the favor of the O... 

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
I'm trying to think of a safety in franchise HISTORY who has been better than Smith...Browner might be close, but Smith is asked to do so much more than Joey ever was plus the game now is so tilted in the favor of the O... 
Agreed Barr. I'll put this spin on it; Harry imo is right up there with Krause...Top 2 in Vikings franchise history. 

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
Agreed Barr. I'll put this spin on it; Harry imo is right up there with Krause...Top 2 in Vikings franchise history. 
Totally different players, but as far as an impact standpoint...definitely top 2-3...