Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Historically, How Does This 8-2 Team Rate?
Did you know there has only been ten 8-2 or better Viking teams in its 56 year history?  Maybe that's a lot, but I thought there'd be more.  It's really an eye opener to realize how many years between successful teams like this go by.  After losing Bradford, there's no way I would've thought we'd be seeing one of best records in team history.  We know things could turn on us; we've seen that before, but this team seems different.  This defense is about as tough as I remember seeing a Viking D, and is comparable to any going way back to the 70s and 80s.  

2017 8-2

Here are the other teams in the 2000s:
2009 9-1 (Conference Championship)
2000 8-2 (Conference Championship)

Going back a bit further you'll see there were only two in the 90s:
1998 9-1 (Conference Championship)
1992 8-2 (Wild Card Playoff )

In the 80s not once did they sniff 8-2.

Mid 70s and earlier.  Those were the "glory" years.  The '73 team is the one that hooked me as a kid.  Man, those games were so much fun back then.
1976 8-1-1 (Super Bowl)
1975 10-0 yeah, baby! (Division Playoffs)
1973 9-1 (Super Bowl)
1970 9-1 (Division Playoffs)

The 60s started rough but ended strong
1969 9-1 (Super Bowl)

The way this team is playing on both sides of the ball, I'd say maybe the 1970s teams are the only ones that are better.  The 2009 and 1998 teams had better offense, but the defenses on those teams weren't like this years. 

I think this team does have NFC Championship potential.  We still have December, but so far this is a historically great season.  Let's sit back and enjoy every moment of this ride!  B)

Time will tell, but what a ride this is
Good post, thanks

I'm still shocked at the big play capability, both run & pass by this O & the D gets more solid every year

I got to hear Rudolph on NFL Rdio today and he talked about last years 5-0 start and how it didn't mean anything & I really believe that is fueling the fire for a strong finish
He was asked about losing Bradford & Cook & he brought up last years nightmare of injuries, including the Coach even missing a game and how that is helping this years team overcome 

Nice job Happy! 

Boy, I would have thought a few of Burnsie's teams might have sniffed 8/2. 

Yup, enjoy the ride...

Very insightful Happy, but aren't you missing one of the Super Bowl years?  We were in four and I only count three.

Quote: @Montana Tom said:
Very insightful Happy, but aren't you missing one of the Super Bowl years?  We were in four and I only count three.
Thanks.  That '74 team was 7-3, so it didn't make the cut. 

Good post Happy! Is interesting that the Vikes have started 8-2 (or better) only 10 times. 

This is most certainly a legit team, hopefully the ball bounces our way this time!

I don't trust anything historical. One game at a time. I'm still just hoping Minnesota makes the playoffs. I'll worry about the playoff seeding in January, not now. Too many games to be played yet to be thinking what an 8-2 record might mean. 

1992 team was stacked. Unfortunately we lost close games to good teams at home (vs Washington, vs San Fran) in a conference that was stacked

Quote: @HappyViking said:
 This defense is about as tough as I remember seeing a Viking D, and is comparable to any going way back to the 70s and 80s.  
Good defense for sure, but I'm not sure I would take it that far. I think the defense of the late 60s, early 70s was more dominant, and I remember a defense in the 80s when they played the Lions (I think on Thanksgiving even) where that defense didn't give up a 1st down until the 4th quarter. It was just stifling. 

I will say this though. Offense are better now, more diverse, and harder to defend. You don't see those dominating defenses as much. It's more cerebral, analytical, and reactive. Especially with the Vikings. It's about figuring out what an offense is planning to do against you and then adjusting to it.

You watch the game and you don't see a lot of sacks or picks or tackles for loss (like you used to), but you wake up the next morning and discover that after the first series the Vikings held the NFL's top offense scoreless and it's rushing leader to 25 yards on 13 carries. 

So what you're REALLY saying, Happy, is that the Vikings have a 66% chance to make the NFC Championship Game and a 33% chance to reach the Super Bowl?
SOUNDS GOOD TO ME!!!
BOOM