Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let's bust all myths about Vikings receiver Adam Thielen
Why are defenses not swamping Adam Thielen with double teams and complex coverages? "It's almost like guys don't believe it,'' Vikings cornerback Terence Newman said. Well, believe it. Thielen is a star.The Vikings are 8-2 and positioning themselves to play in January, perhaps even February, in U.S. Bank Stadium, and Thielen is again altering expectations and busting myths.
The caption on his career keeps changing. Division II college athlete. Undrafted long shot at a tryout camp. Special teams contributor. Extra receiver. Starting receiver. Star receiver. And now one of the best receivers in the NFL, and the most productive receiver on one of the league’s best teams.
After making six catches for 123 yards and a touchdown, Thielen has 62 for 916 yards this season. In franchise history, only Randy Moss has produced more receiving yards in the first 10 games of a season.
So why are defenses not swamping him with double teams and complex coverages? Why are we still hearing the same backhanded compliments about his “smarts,’’ and “scrappiness?’’
“It’s almost like guys don’t believe it,’’ Vikings cornerback Terence Newman said.
Why don’t they? “Your guess is as good as mine,’’ Newman said.
The unspoken theory in the Vikings’ locker room is that Thielen falls prey to stereotypes about average-looking white receivers, so everything he accomplishes feels like an upset.
Here’s what is strange about that: Thielen is 6-2 and 200 pounds. He’s plenty fast, as he proved again on Sunday, and he’s quick off the line and when making cuts. He has tremendous body control, which helps him fool defensive backs and make acrobatic catches.
http://www.startribune.com/let-s-bust-al...458714193/

Newman noted that Thielen has a gift for setting up defenders, for leaning or feinting to create space. Thielen is also football fast. Remember, the Pro Football Hall of Fame is filled with receivers who had no chance to make an Olympic sprint team, including Jerry Rice and Cris Carter.

I don't think Adam gives a rat's pooter if he continues to be underestimated. It just makes it that much easier for him to go out and hang up big numbers if teams just assume he's a slow, nothing special white guy....

I've even read it here...  let's face it.  He's 6-2 and 200 lbs and runs a 4.45 forty.  He's a top athlete.  This isn't an over-achieving guy with fringe NFL athletic talent.  Go look at his Pro Day numbers and compare them to the other top WRs in the NFL.  Heck, he tested better than Diggs in almost every major category at the combine.  I would bet that if you flipped Thielen's numbers this season with Diggs...  all we would be hearing about is how Diggs is the next superstar WR in the NFL.  Yet, Thielen is a "good story"... a "crafty veteran"... etc.
I've seen the same things said of Brian Robison in his career...  yet, go check out his combine/Pro Day numbers.  He's another ELITE athlete that doesn't get the credit he deserves for that athletic ability.  I don't want to make this a race issue, but the narrative on these guys is different when they are white in a predominately black sport.

he is white that is  why.

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
Newman noted that Thielen has a gift for setting up defenders, for leaning or feinting to create space. Thielen is also football fast. Remember, the Pro Football Hall of Fame is filled with receivers who had no chance to make an Olympic sprint team, including Jerry Rice and Cris Carter.
I think that is the biggest thing.  And why rookie WRs usually struggle for a few years.  Veteran DBs can read the routes by picking up on little things.  Thielen uses that against them.  I think Diggs does this very well also and his biggest issue is health. 

School size and draft status don't matter if you don't put in the work.  Thielen has always had to fight for every play and isn't resting on any laurels. 

How high can he jump?  That is all that matters to make the Case Smile

Quote: @PSBLAKE said:
he is white that is  why.

and how can that white boy run so fast?

Quote: @Wetlander said:
I've even read it here...  let's face it.  He's 6-2 and 200 lbs and runs a 4.45 forty.  He's a top athlete.  This isn't an over-achieving guy with fringe NFL athletic talent.  Go look at his Pro Day numbers and compare them to the other top WRs in the NFL.  Heck, he tested better than Diggs in almost every major category at the combine.  I would bet that if you flipped Thielen's numbers this season with Diggs...  all we would be hearing about is how Diggs is the next superstar WR in the NFL.  Yet, Thielen is a "good story"... a "crafty veteran"... etc.
I've seen the same things said of Brian Robison in his career...  yet, go check out his combine/Pro Day numbers.  He's another ELITE athlete that doesn't get the credit he deserves for that athletic ability.  I don't want to make this a race issue, but the narrative on these guys is different when they are white in a predominately black sport.
You hit the nail on the head Wet. Superior athletes who get labeled with everything from " a try hard guy" to "workout warriors ".
Jordy Nelson is another one. I know we don't want to mention him because, well, you know. But  I'll call it like I see it. Athletic freak!!
For the "white men can't jump "tags. 
Who's got the highest vertical on this team?

Quote: @96POPS said:
@Wetlander said:
You hit the nail on the head Wet. Superior athletes who get labeled with everything from " a try hard guy" to "workout warriors ".
Jordy Nelson is another one. I know we don't want to mention him because, well, you know. But  I'll call it like I see it. Athletic freak!!
For the "white men can't jump "tags. 
Who's got the highest vertical on this team?

That would be your boy would it not?  was it 40 1/2 inches?