Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who's got the higher ceiling? Why?
Diggs or Thielen?

I have to say from what we've seen Theilen,  but that isnt a talent ceiling,  its strictly from a durability stand point.  Diggs tendency to get dinged IMO is becoming to regular for him to really be counted on to reach his potential.  When hes healthy he destroys single coverage,  and I think should even be targeted occasionally in double coverage,  but I dont think you can really make him a focus of your offensive game plan due to his injury history thus... lowering his ceiling. 

Adam can stay healthy so he does.  Thielen seems to "go get" the ball a bit better too.  But maybe I'm forgetting some of Diggs excellent plays. 

Plus Adam is 3 inches taller so his ceilings should be higher...  =)

Thielen is a magician. But Diggs is magic.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
Thielen is a magician. But Diggs is magic.
I wish Thielen could make Diggs magically more durable.  The offense is just so much more potent when Diggs is on the field.

Diggs has the higher ceiling but Thielen has a better chance to reach his ceiling, if that makes sense. Diggs has the quick twitch route running qualities you just cannot teach. He isn't as refined of a route runner as Thielen but can literally twist up DB's in coverage. Add in top end speed and the ability to go up and over a DB, you really have all the tools to work with. The issue is that he hasn't been able to shake his injury riddled past. If he can stay healthy for an entire year he could potentially lead the league in receiving. 

Thielen is more of a technician. He makes up for anything he lacks physically with top end route running, hands, etc.. As he's continued to develop the Vikings have found different ways to compliment the skill set. Although he has the ability to high point the ball down the sideline, he has the strength to give nickle DB's major issue. Put a nickle DB on him and you're completely boxed out on the inside. His release has also gotten a lot better as well. Ultimately, he'll continue to grow within the offense but you're likely starting to see what he is capable of. Which is being a heck of a well rounded receiver, easily a 1,000 yard guy. 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
Diggs has the higher ceiling but Thielen has a better chance to reach his ceiling, if that makes sense. Diggs has the quick twitch route running qualities you just cannot teach. He isn't as refined of a route runner as Thielen but can literally twist up DB's in coverage. Add in top end speed and the ability to go up and over a DB, you really have all the tools to work with. The issue is that he hasn't been able to shake his injury riddled past. If he can stay healthy for an entire year he could potentially lead the league in receiving. 

Thielen is more of a technician. He makes up for anything he lacks physically with top end route running, hands, etc.. As he's continued to develop the Vikings have found different ways to compliment the skill set. Although he has the ability to high point the ball down the sideline, he has the strength to give nickle DB's major issue. Put a nickle DB on him and you're completely boxed out on the inside. His release has also gotten a lot better as well. Ultimately, he'll continue to grow within the offense but you're likely starting to see what he is capable of. Which is being a heck of a well rounded receiver, easily a 1,000 yard guy. 

Geoff, would you think it fair to say that Thielen is every bit as good as Jordy Nelson? I would.

Quote: @prairieghost said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:

Geoff, would you think it fair to say that Thielen is every bit as good as Jordy Nelson? I would.
I think its a fair argument at this point. Jordy's talent gets skewed a little bit based on who is throwing him the ball. So although his production could be higher, Thielen is the more rounded player. 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@prairieghost said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:

I think its a fair argument at this point. Jordy's talent gets skewed a little bit based on who is throwing him the ball. So although his production could be higher, Thielen is the more rounded player. 
great receivers can help poor QBs... but great QBs can make good/great receivers out of average ones.   Look at all the receivers that have left GBay and never even come close to replicating their games with other QBs.

Quote: @Bezerker88 said:
Adam can stay healthy so he does.  Thielen seems to "go get" the ball a bit better too.  But maybe I'm forgetting some of Diggs excellent plays. 

Plus Adam is 3 inches taller so his ceilings should be higher...  =)
LOL, the Vikings list Thielen as 6'3" now? Funny, he was 6'1" at the Regional Combine in 2013 and I think they had him listed at 6'2" last year. He'll be Harold Carmichael before he retires.

Thielen is 27, in physical prime of his career. We are probably seeing his "ceiling" right now, and I don't know if the term is very important regarding him, because we should all be past the point of talking about his potential. He's there, he made it. With Diggs, we're still talking about potential.

Adam Thielen is the Vikings' best WR since Randy Moss. It still shocks me a bit to say it, but seriously - who else?