Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Case Keenum's start vs. Rams is anything but 'another game' on Vikings' schedule
Winners of five straight games with Case Keenum at quarterback, the Vikings decided there was no reason to change what’s been working before Sunday’s game against the Los Angeles Rams.
Coach Mike Zimmer announced Wednesday that Keenum will start against the Rams, facing his former team in a matchup of 7-2 clubs vying for a first-round bye. Keenum, who’s 5-2 as a starter this season and helped the Vikings start their winning streak on Oct. 8 by relieving an injured Sam Bradford in Chicago, will keep the job while Teddy Bridgewater spends another week as his backup.
Zimmer said the deliberations about starting Keenum at quarterback were “not difficult,” adding Keenum’s play on Sunday — when he threw for a career-high four touchdowns and 304 yards along with two interceptions in a win over the Redskins — was “part of” the reason he’s getting another start on Sunday.
The decision means Keenum will square off against the team for whom he started 14 games over the past two seasons. He started the first nine games of the season for the Rams a year ago, before giving way to Jared Goff. Now, the two quarterbacks will face off on Sunday with playoff positioning at stake.
http://www.startribune.com/case-keenum-s...457804423/

IMO this is a must win game.  Hopefully being at home should be a factor in this tough game.  But we need it for playoff seeding IMO.

Bridgewater, Zimmer said on Wednesday, is ready to play in a game after being activated from the physically-unable-to-perform list a week ago. “Otherwise, he wouldn’t dress” on the active roster on Sundays, Zimmer said.
The quarterback’s return to the starting lineup, however, remains on hold. Things could stay the same next week, as well, with the Vikings facing a quick turnaround before a Thanksgiving Day matchup with the Detroit Lions next Thursday. They would have a 10-day break between that game and their Dec. 3 trip to Atlanta to face the Falcons.

Zimmer has said Keenum is “an excitable guy” on the field, and linked the interceptions on Sunday to the quarterback needing a better feel for game situations. The Vikings had a 35-20 lead when Keenum threw both of his interceptions; the second one set up a Redskins touchdown that cut the Vikings’ lead to eight.
“I can’t put our team in tough spots like that,” Keenum said. “We battled through, and made the right plays when we needed to, but I’ve just got to be smart in those situations.”
“You know, at the end of the day, to be honest, if it ain’t broken, you don’t fix it,” defensive end Everson Griffen said about the Vikings’ QB situation. “And that’s all I’ve got to say. And it ain’t broken, so you don’t fix it.”

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
Zimmer has said Keenum is “an excitable guy” on the field, and linked the interceptions on Sunday to the quarterback needing a better feel for game situations. The Vikings had a 35-20 lead when Keenum threw both of his interceptions; the second one set up a Redskins touchdown that cut the Vikings’ lead to eight.
“I can’t put our team in tough spots like that,” Keenum said. “We battled through, and made the right plays when we needed to, but I’ve just got to be smart in those situations.”
“You know, at the end of the day, to be honest, if it ain’t broken, you don’t fix it,” defensive end Everson Griffen said about the Vikings’ QB situation. “And that’s all I’ve got to say. And it ain’t broken, so you don’t fix it.”
I'm guessing most if not all of the players feel the same way.  Jarius Wright, one of Teddy's best friends on the team, said basically the same thing last week.

Quote: @greediron said:
IMO this is a must win game.  Hopefully being at home should be a factor in this tough game.  But we need it for playoff seeding IMO.
I cant argue Greed, but if I had to choose? I'd say Detroit is more of a "must win" of the next 2

Quote: @SFVikingFan said:
@purplefaithful said:
I'm guessing most if not all of the players feel the same way.  Jarius Wright, one of Teddy's best friends on the team, said basically the same thing last week.
That would be my guess too, EG speaking for the majority of the locker room. Was wondering what the sentiment in there might be on this. 

Anyways, unless something really s hitty happens on the field, we probably wont see Bridgewater till Atlanta would be my guess.

And if Case keeps em winning 2 more games? Some of these threads are going to be getting really long. 

Chris Tomasson@christomasson2h
#Vikings WR Stefon Diggs on QB Case Keenum: "Case just makes it happen. He finds a way, especially back there when he gets to running around a little bit, keeps his eyes downfield. He just creates some things and as a receiver you just try to get open and stay open.''

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@greediron said:
I cant argue Greed, but if I had to choose? I'd say Detroit is more of a "must win" of the next 2
If we beat the Rams this week, we will probably have to beat them again at USB in January. If we lose to the Rams this week, we will probably have to beat them in LA in January

Here's the thing.  I think the Rams O is about to get exposed by our D.  They've had a relatively easy schedule so far, but it gets much, much tougher for them, starting on Sunday.  They've benefitted from playing defenses that get out of position a lot.  A lot of blown coverages and cheap yards through the air. Our D has smart, tough guys who are never out of position.  Plus, we don't need to blitz to create pressure.

Up until now, this has been an excellent running team, which sets up play action for them and makes things much easier for Goff.  So we stop the run on first and second down and make Goff throw on third and +6.

I don't think he can do it.

The fact that we get to see a Shanahan Offense two weeks in a row is a big help to us.  The Rams use screens a lot, but we are excellent against them.