Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So which rookie QB can handle the bright lights?
That's a big factor in determining who becomes a franchise QB and who doesn't. And by bright lights, I mean pressure situations. Environments. Not every QB is playing for the national championship, but the bright light moments enter into every college QBs experience. So this kind of hit me when I was reading MB's draft assessments (which I enjoyed)....he mentioned that JJM sounded 'young' in his interviews. And it's true, partly because he just turned 21. But mostly because McCarthy has the swag and the mentality of 'This is just so much fun, why would I get nervous?' Its an attitude. The kid is super calm and focused in tight situations. He felt confident in Jim Harbaugh and that gave him confidence. I think the same thing would happen with KOC and it would bring JJM to his full potential. He's got stuff to learn yet, he's still developmental in some small aspects. But mentally he's got what it takes to succeed in the NFL.

I think if we all believe to some respect that where a rookie QB goes makes a difference and sometimes that QB and NFL HC/staff know exactly how to bring out the best in a premier talent, I think that's the case with JJ McCarthy. Buy I also think Bo Nix could be that guy in a 1A scenario. Nix's leadership is top shelf. He's going to have a band of brothers on whatever NFL team he goes too. He's tough minded. And Penix already throws like a NFL QB. How much upside is there? Might be more than people think. He reminds me of DeShaun Watson a lot throwing the football. 

I'm not discussing Williams, Maye and Daniels. I don't think Minnesota is moving up that far. But Maye is intriguing.

"But I also think Bo Nix could be that guy in a 1A scenario. Nix's leadership is top shelf. He's going to have a band of brothers on whatever NFL team he goes too. He's tough minded."

Agree.  He's got more starting experience than any other college QB.  Consistently improved each year.
He set a record for the highest completion % in NCAA history (I really like that)
He had SIX games last season with over 80% completion rate.
I cannot ignore 45 TDs to 3 INTs.
Solid size:  6'2" 219 lbs. (Bryce Young..5'10"???  Really?)

He's very level headed...has done everything anyone has asked (combine, pro day...no prima donna here).  Has proved that he is a leader.
Attitude-wise, he is the opposite of Shadeur Sanders...who is into conspicuous consumption.  Again, not a prima donna.
Chances of young rookie needing a couple years of seasoning in the NFL are diminished because he's already done it.
Unlike some who think he's too old (just turned 24), I like his maturity.  Who wants a 20 or 21 year old starting for your NFL team?
Most good NFL quarterbacks don't show their best stuff until into their 30's.  The fixation on young QBs that are freshly-minted out of college and into the NFL confuses me.

McCarthy, Penix, or Maye

JJM, Penix, Daniels and Nix have all shown it already. Mixed bag with Caleb Williams. Drake Maye has not shown it and has consistently performed poorly when pressured so it’s difficult to buy him doing well with the pressure you’re talking about. I think mentally he’s fine, but he presses and when that happens he makes mistakes. He’s the biggest question mark, but from what I’ve seen as far as personality, he seems wired to be resilient. 

Quote: @"Havoc1649" said:
JJM, Penix, Daniels and Nix have all shown it already. Mixed bag with Caleb Williams. Drake Maye has not shown it and has consistently performed poorly when pressured so it’s difficult to buy him doing well with the pressure you’re talking about. I think mentally he’s fine, but he presses and when that happens he makes mistakes. He’s the biggest question mark, but from what I’ve seen as far as personality, he seems wired to be resilient. 
Honestly, your take on Maye is my biggest concern with him. 

Good question. And one nobody has the answer to. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
My wife and I are heading out to brunch, beautiful day here in SoFlo....the bottomless mimosas will be flowing so she'll be subjected to my thoughts on the Draft and who the best QB selection will be for Minnesota. After a good hour or so into the discussion, this will be the choice from her perspective:

[Image: kTHcwz.gif]

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
My wife and I are heading out to brunch, beautiful day here in SoFlo....the bottomless mimosas will be flowing so she'll be subjected to my thoughts on the Draft and who the best QB selection will be for Minnesota. After a good hour or so into the discussion, this will be the feels from her perspective:

Just remind her that there are only 32 more days of this...

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
My wife and I are heading out to brunch, beautiful day here in SoFlo....the bottomless mimosas will be flowing so she'll be subjected to my thoughts on the Draft and who the best QB selection will be for Minnesota. After a good hour or so into the discussion, this will be the feels from her perspective:

Just remind her that there are only 32 more days of this...
lol, definitely will!

I think JJM, Penix, and Nix are likely the safest of the 6 in terms of being able to handle the bright lights,  Williams lost a fair number of bright lights games the last few years,  not all on him,  but when things heat up he tries to become superman every play and eventually it hurt them,  Maye and Daniels I didnt watch enough of, although I doubt Maye has had many real butt clenching moments and Daniels likely has the moxy I just am more afraid of him becoming an injury concern than I am of Penix,  Penix has shown that he doesnt need to run around to be successful,  Daniels seems to be use the running part of his game more and that IMO will take some time to work him out of, if it can be done before he gets broke.