Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Martellus Bennett passed physical

Interesting...

Word out of Wisconsin is that he realized the Packers weren't winning anything with Rodgers out and decided his shoulder was bad enough he wasn't going to fight through the injury for the final 8 games.

I guess he's healthy enough to play for a Super Bowl contender though...

this is bull shit.  so since he signed with another team does that take him completely off the pack payroll or do they have to pick up part of his contract still?

This is bound to turn into warfare between Bennett and the Packers. From what I've heard, Bennett opted for surgery after learning the extent of his injury through follow-up appts. with independent doctors. So on his end there was loss of trust since he thought the Packers were consciously hiding the significance of his shoulder injury. The Packers side of the story is that Bennett suddenly decided to pursue surgery as a way to work his way onto IR. 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
This is bound to turn into warfare between Bennett and the Packers. From what I've heard, Bennett opted for surgery after learning the extent of his injury through follow-up appts. with independent doctors. So on his end there was loss of trust since he thought the Packers were consciously hiding the significance of his shoulder injury. The Packers side of the story is that Bennett suddenly decided to pursue surgery as a way to work his way onto IR. 
Good for both of them.  The shit show in GB continues.  And a Bennett brother pulls another shady move.  Stunning.

if bennets injury is bull shit then he shouldnt be allowed to sign with another team.  this opens a whole new level of tampering if players can essentially BS their ways out of a contract with one team in order to sign with another.  If the rest of the league was led to believe that there was a season ending injury why would they make a claim... but for some reason ol bill knew the shoulder was ok.    how is this permitted?

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
if bennets injury is bull shit then he shouldnt be allowed to sign with another team.  this opens a whole new level of tampering if players can essentially BS their ways out of a contract with one team in order to sign with another.  If the rest of the league was led to believe that there was a season ending injury why would they make a claim... but for some reason ol bill knew the shoulder was ok.    how is this permitted?
Because GB didn't put him on IR.  They waived him.  If they weren't so damn cheap, they would have just put him on IR, right?  I guess his salary was guaranteed as a vet tho, so if no one picked him up, they would still be on the hook.  Maybe Kraft and Thompson colluded.

Actually, let me correct that.  So they waived him with a failure to disclose the injury, so they could not pay him the remainder of the signing bonus.  So they are just cheap.

I am going with collusion.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
29 other teams could have signed him, I'm sure he will be released at the conclusion of the season to avoid paying him the roster bonus he would be due. Packers should be on the hook for his signing bonus though.

But now the owners in GB will try to get Bennett to pay back the signing bonus because he didn't disclose an injury, but wouldn't he have to pass a physical before signing that contract.