Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Waynes Emerges As A Standout In Year 3
http://www.startribune.com/trae-waynes-e...456533243/

itempropCARLOS GONZALEZ, STAR TRIBUNEMinnesota Vikings cornerback Trae Waynes (26) reacted after breaking up a pass in London.TEXT SIZE
MORE SID HARTMAN SID HARTMAN @SIDHARTMANVikings cornerback Trae Waynes struggled through his rookie season in 2015 after being selected No. 11 overall out of Michigan State, appearing sparingly in 15 games and recording 30 tackles.
Last year he started to show some signs of improvement as he again appeared in 15 games but started eight, had 50 tackles and four interceptions and tied for the team lead with 11 pass deflections.
ADVERTISING
inRead invented by TeadsAt the start of this season, Vikings coach Mike Zimmer said he had high expectations for Waynes, and that it might have been part of the reason he struggled early on.
“I think he’s handled it really well,” Zimmer said. “I think this will be a big year for him, hopefully he comes in and he plays great. That’s what we’re expecting.”
So far that has been true. Waynes has started every game at cornerback along with Xavier Rhodes, and they have become one of the best cornerback duos in the NFL.
Waynes is fourth on the team in tackles at 42, leads the team in pass deflections with eight and is second with two interceptions.
In their most recent victory against Cleveland on Oct. 29 in London, Pro Football Focus noted Waynes was a standout against the pass, and also that he has been one of the best cornerbacks in the league against the run.
“His physical presence in coverage was key for the Vikings secondary,” they wrote. “Targeted seven times in coverage, he allowed just two receptions for 22 yards, breaking one pass up, and forcing another incompletion with heavy contact.”
Yes, Waynes appears to be coming into his own. He said that one of the best parts about being on this Vikings squad is that he has had a number of players help him improve his game.

And the best part is that he is doing it within the constraints of a system.  Playing like Peters is fun to watch if you are looking for splash,  but to see a defense as a unit dominate you need players like Waynes...guys that can put the team ahead of the me.

People tend to forget if Zim wanted Peters, we'd have him...

Chiefs are 2-3 out of their last 5 games. Gave up a lot of points during that stretch on defense. Only 2 teams have given up less points on D than the Vikings. 

I'm neutral on Waynes. But it is nice to see one of our players develop and as a fan you'd better be able to appreciate it. Whats really stood out to me lately has been his play against the run. 

With this coaching pedigree, if there is one personnel group we should excel at besides DL, it would be DB.

Imagine that, Vikings excelling in the back 4? Probably hasn't happened since Floyd Peters was coaching here. 

Anyways, glad Waynes is getting some solid ground under him.

Lets see how he and the D hold-up against teams with winning records back 1/2.

I think we've played one team with a winning record to-date and lost. I still don't know if we're paper tigers or will be vying for a bye and home field?  

Waynes still has some things to improve on...  but he looks like a completely different player than he was in college and his rookie season.  Definitely still on an upward trajectory.

He's been a beast tackling.  Probably the single most impressive thing he's improved on.  He's flying in to make tackles on bubble screens and making plays against the run.  You didn't see that from him earlier in his career.

If he can start to get his head around a bit quicker, he'll get even more pass deflections and interceptions.  It took Rhodes until his 4th season to figure that out.  It's why Rhodes led the team with 5 interceptions last season.  Waynes is already more of a playmaker than Rhodes was...  He could turn into a major ball hawk if he continues to develop.

Quote: @"Wetlander" said:
Waynes still has some things to improve on...  but he looks like a completely different player than he was in college and his rookie season.  Definitely still on an upward trajectory.

He's been a beast tackling.  Probably the single most impressive thing he's improved on.  He's flying in to make tackles on bubble screens and making plays against the run.  You didn't see that from him earlier in his career.

If he can start to get his head around a bit quicker, he'll get even more pass deflections and interceptions.  It took Rhodes until his 4th season to figure that out.  It's why Rhodes led the team with 5 interceptions last season.  Waynes is already more of a playmaker than Rhodes was...  He could turn into a major ball hawk if he continues to develop.
the biggest knock on Waynes that I recall coming out of college was that he shied away from contact and really didnt tackle well at all.  this kids growth has me drinking the koolaid on our defensive coaches more than anything else.  he is playing the position tough and is growing into a future top CB in this league... just a few weeks ago I said we will have one of the top tandems in the league and I stand by it.