Diggs: 'Don't be surprised if Teddy starts in 2017'

7 minutes ago
More
Andy Jerome Carlson Retweeted Andrew Siciliano
[Image: 1f440.png]
Andy Jerome Carlson added,
[Image: TiNDQ_WkzF9flNaK.jpg]
0:45
Andrew SicilianoVerified account @AndrewSiciliano.@stefondiggs says don’t be surprised if @teddyb_h2o starts in 2017.
From yestersay’s #TNF First Look @nflnetwork

I know this is meant to sound encouraging, but reading between the lines, I sorta take all these comments about Teddy "playing in 2017" as a sort of "putting on the brakes" to the idea that he'll be ready in a week or two. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
I know this is meant to sound encouraging, but reading between the lines, I sorta take all these comments about Teddy "playing in 2017" as a sort of "putting on the brakes" to the idea that he'll be ready in a week or two. 

I get the same feeling and said as much after listening to Mike Zimmer's last press conference.  The reality is that he has two weeks of practice under his belt.  With the bye week, he won't begin his 3rd week of practice until next week prior to the Redskins game.  If he's looking sharp and has no setbacks...  MAYBE we will see him start the Rams game.  But then we have a short week against Detroit (on the road) on Thanksgiving 4 days later. 
Looking at the upcoming schedule and the timing of games...  I could see his potential season debut being the Detroit game.  It would also give the coaches and training staff a bit more time to evaluate how his knee responded to live action since we wouldn't play Atlanta until 10 days later. 

I think it is going to be real interesting to see if the coaches are willing to gamble the season on him starting. I am a firm believer if a guy is healthy to play he should play..... if he was playing before he was hurt. Teddy isn't that guy. He hasn't played in over a season and a half. Are we really going to be willing to introduce other variables into the equation this year? Timing and familiarity as well as relationship between OC and QB? It will be one thing if Case is struggling to win games. But I'd be real careful about switching QB's in the middle of a so far successful season. 

Quote: @"Wetlander" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:

I get the same feeling and said as much after listening to Mike Zimmer's last press conference.  The reality is that he has two weeks of practice under his belt.  With the bye week, he won't begin his 3rd week of practice until next week prior to the Redskins game.  If he's looking sharp and has no setbacks...  MAYBE we will see him start the Rams game.  But then we have a short week against Detroit (on the road) on Thanksgiving 4 days later. 
Looking at the upcoming schedule and the timing of games...  I could see his potential season debut being the Detroit game.  It would also give the coaches and training staff a bit more time to evaluate how his knee responded to live action since we wouldn't play Atlanta until 10 days later. 
Yeah, I could see them wanting him as the backup for a game or two, but he is already in the game plan, been attending meetings, taking mental reps. 

Dunno the answer, but it will be interesting.

You guys know I'm an optimist, so I don't see a conflict between "he'll be ready in a week or two" and "he'll be starting in 2017". I say this for one simple reason: We have no reason to bench Keenum at this point. Argue his effectiveness all you want, but the team is winning with Case at QB. Unless something happens to him, he tanks it, or Teddy looks better than All Pro in practice, it's Case's job to lose.

Honestly, I kind of expect it to be the third option. I really do believe Bridgewater will win the starting job back by proving it in practice over the next number of weeks. He's focused and determined. Keenum is good, but Bridgewater can be so much better. With that said, you don't just hand it to Teddy on day one. He has to earn it.

By comparison, I see him no better prepared than if he were at least 2 weeks prior to the first preseason game. I think he has a long way to go to keep up with those who have played 8 regular season games. 

Wetlander 
I'm not sure how much practice there was the week we played in London. 

Why do we need him right now?

The only answer really is higher expectations out of the team or our QB play, or really high expectations out of Teddy. 

We're winning games, but we'll slaughter them with Teddy? 

Gamble is a perfect word. There is certainly risk beyond injury to playing him too early. I think its easy to believe he'll play better than Keenum by default. Things have been going so well for us offensively lately, the bar is high. At 6-2, there is a ton of pressure. Can you go back to Keenum if things go south in the midst of an NFC North Championship and playoff run? If you COULD yank Bridgewater over theoretical bad play, does anyone want him around next year anyway?

It doesnt hurt to wait. If Keenum gives reason to be benched, it's simple stuff. I dont think game reps are any more valuable than practice reps this early in his return. I actually think practicing a few weeks would help him find a rhythm faster than not. 

No rush...

I gota  say  if he is  healtho to get play  he goes  to #2 with thus defense  and  case  not turning the ball over  and sounds like the team has faith in case  is to roll with case  till or if he shits the the  bed  but is it a whole  game a half a game  2 games in a row  that all  depends  on were the season is  if  case,is pulled and teddy goes in and  gets hurt or plays poorly and Sam's out there is no way  we're  going anywhere with case  because  I think his MOJO will be gone I think  play it safe go with case   then us  teddy if things go bad  if Sam's  heath you  can he lose his job because of injury   that makes things even syickier