Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tony Romo as broadcaster....refreshing (IMO)
Ok...just watched an NFLN pre game thing where they were talking to Romo.
havent heard him do a game, but the guy knows his chit.
anyone have an opinion on Romo as color analyst? Heard him? Thoughts?

what a difference from Michael Irvin's yammering and stammering

I've heard people complain that he talks too much... and maybe there's a little bit to that.  Sometimes less is better.  But, overall, I actually DO enjoy his commentary.  He really does know his stuff.  I've kinda wondered, though... if the "less informed" (i.e. "casual"?) fans feel like he talks over their heads.  He speaks football... but not every fan understands that language.  For what it's worth, though, I enjoy him.

I like him.  But I like Chris Collinsworth too. 

Quote: @"pumpf" said:
I've heard people complain that he talks too much... and maybe there's a little bit to that.  Sometimes less is better.  But, overall, I actually DO enjoy his commentary.  He really does know his stuff.  I've kinda wondered, though... if the "less informed" (i.e. "casual"?) fans feel like he talks over their heads.  He speaks football... but not every fan understands that language.  For what it's worth, though, I enjoy him.
That sums it up for me completely...Know's his s hit, probably over the head of most including me. He's a nice change of pace that could end-up really good in the booth over time. 

I think he's the best out there right now. No bias whatsoever, knowledgeable, dynamic, and energetic.

it won't take long for the network and media types to beat all the good out of him....

Put me in the "does he get paid by the word category?"... My first impression was very favorable... By the second quarter of the first game I was wishing he would STFU...

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
Put me in the "does he get paid by the word category?"... My first impression was very favorable... By the second quarter of the first game I was wishing he would STFU...
So much this....

But I also think that color commentators are useless.  To quote a Richard Jeni bit... Your watching it on TV all the guy has to say is..   "Did you see that?  So did I." 

I think Tony does a good job. He's got PLENTY of enthusiasm, that's for sure....which of course can get to be a little too much but I've seen several games he's done now and I do love how he shares his knowledge of the game.

I guarantee you the network is telling Romo to talk more. They've gotten the early reviews on him and they are very positive, so in their world, more is better. 'Keep talking, Tony.....keep up the chatter. Viewers love you!'. Typical saturation move by the TV network. They can't leave a good thing alone.