Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mid Season Grade for Coach Zimmer
So, how you feeling about this Viking Head Coach?  Once again he has the team off to a strong start, but this year seems different.  There really hasn't been those "magical" big plays like the pick 6s, PR TDs, or TD fumble recoveries that happened a season ago.  This team seems to have a more solid balance to it and consistency on both sides of the ball. 

Personally, I think the OLine play is the biggest difference, but the D looks improved too.  The run D is better, and that also could be because of the improved offense keeping them rested.

Anyway, I think there were some concerns going into the season that Coach Z might be overrated, and possibly in the "Hot Seat", if things didn't look better.  We're at the halfway point now (wow, does time fly!).  How's he doing with his team?

IMO I want him to be an A, but until we see results, he could always do better.

[Image: tenrpkb15v8l.jpeg]
I) Incomplete...  B)

Which other teams have a winning record without their QB1 for all but 6 quarters, RB1 for 4+ games, and WR1 2+ games...

I have had kids proud of their midterm grades and facing a very different story as the Final grade approaches - and only one of those actually counts. He has done fine through the first half of this season, but starting a season and finishing are very different. If there was - or is - doubt about Zimmer, isn't it due largely to the Vikings' problems in the second half of 2016? So let's see the second half of this season.

I am encouraged that he has been flexible in altering the offensive scheme, or at least in choosing to trust Shurmur - Turner was the wrong OC to give complete trust. The OL improvements are due in part to adjusting scheme, another sign of flexibility.

OP suggests things are better this season because we aren't winning with turnovers, big plays, kick returns. Stability is good, but a GREAT team plays the steady football but also gets the big plays and dominates some of its opponents. I want to see some explosive days during this season yet.

6/2 is great and the team and staff have faced a lot of adversity to get here. Big ole Skol Clap from this fan.

Ask me if it's remarkably different than other seasons after the Bears game. 

Quote: @Jor-El said:

OP suggests things are better this season because we aren't winning with turnovers, big plays, kick returns. Stability is good, but a GREAT team plays the steady football but also gets the big plays and dominates some of its opponents. I want to see some explosive days during this season yet.
Just to clarify, I like all Viking TDs in any shape or form.  It did seem to me like last year's fast start wasn't sustainable throughout the season the way we were winning games.  The fluky TDs from INTs, KRs, and PRs are great, but you can't depend on that for wins in a 16 game season. 

Sooner or later you have to win in the trenches on offense and defense, and that's what I'm seeing more of this year compared to last.

I gave him a B only because we're halfway thur the season. Always room for some improvement.
But I really like this team this year...I think because we are playing like a team.

The only coaches that are 'A' list have established and effective QBs. They go hand in hand. Name a great NFL coach, past or present, that hasn't been attached to a great QB? You can't because they don't exist. 

We've seen what a QB can really do behind this line and offense under Shurmur: Sam Bradford, Game 1......Case Keenum looking better than he ever has. You think Teddy won't look better? Of course he will. Zimmer has an athletic defense that has been in his scheme for multiple years now and they've draft good young players to take over. This defense will now never not be really good under him as the coach, its set. Its the defensive culture of the Vikings now, like the Ravens used to be with Ray Lewis. As soon as they can lock hold of a QB and not get him injured somehow, Zimmer might be an 'A' type coach pretty quickly.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
The only coaches that are 'A' list have established and effective QBs. They go hand in hand. Name a great NFL coach, past or present, that hasn't been attached to a great QB? You can't because they don't exist. 

We've seen what a QB can really do behind this line and offense under Shurmur: Sam Bradford, Game 1......Case Keenum looking better than he ever has. You think Teddy won't look better? Of course he will. Zimmer has an athletic defense that has been in his scheme for multiple years now and they've draft good young players to take over. This defense will now never not be really good under him as the coach, its set. Its the defensive culture of the Vikings now, like the Ravens used to be with Ray Lewis. As soon as they can lock hold of a QB and not get him injured somehow, Zimmer might be an 'A' type coach pretty quickly.
Tony Dungy did a hell of a lot in Tampa with Dilfer and King before he was fired after his first year with Brad ...we all know how that turned out after Gruden gets a 1st year SB win with Tonys roster.