Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT I might be insane..... Coaching my daughter's hockey team
Well it's been a busy couple of days for me. 

I've always wanted to get into coaching hockey and on Saturday that opportunity fell right into my lap without a lot of prep time. 

This will be my first official foray into coaching and I have tons to get done in not a lot of time. Since Saturday I've spent hours going through all sorts of training on coaching and all the different aspects surrounding that and I am only halfway through where I need to be. Thankfully I have  a number of other coaches with me that have run practices before so that I don't have 13 twelve and under girls looking up at me like "Ok what's next?....." Oh did I mention that this coaching gig is in the Edina Hockey Association here in MN? Like Hockey Mecca. I've already reached out to all the parents and they all seem to be really great people. If you don't know youth hockey the tough part isn't always (or ever) dealing with the kids it's keeping the parents informed and understanding that we have their kids best interest at heart. 

So all of this is to say that my life is going to be insanely busy for the next 6 months. Coaching my daughter's team 4-5 nights a week, and I also have a 5 year old that is playing hockey 2 days a week. But you know me I love this site like it is my kid as well. I might be less available and might not be able to participate as much as in the past. But I'm here and I will always be here to assist. 
Is this thing on?

You'll love it! Have fun, but all of those parents that 'seem to be really great people' won't be so great when their baby girl isn't getting playing time. Wink I coached youth basketball back in the day and really enjoyed it. 

There is no might you are insane lol. I kid maybe. Seriously that's awesome and not just somewhat. Coaching is a great way to spend time with your kids and learn and grow. I did it. It was a blast. Good for you. Good luck and enjoy it. 

I did soccer coaching for several years of girls that age and younger.  12 year olds seem to take things a little more serious rather than just goof off time which makes it a little easier to actually coach and teach.

Flip side is each parent thinks their kid is headed to D1.  Usually 12 is when playing time is earned and a kid getting less time is tough as a coach because you hate to see any kid missing out on chances to play.  

I always emphasized how important practice was for them to learn the fundamentals and hard work there will be rewarded even if the kid isn't a phenom.

We had 12yo 'phenoms' that were granted playing time and praise well after they quit making every effort to continuously improve.  When they were 17 they had no business getting the time and attention they did.  Meanwhile some of the also ran 12yo continued to work and were better fundamental players and far better team players.

Not falling into that trap with the parents and even club leadership is very difficult.  Once a 12-13yo kid gets a good reputation it often proceeds them.

Good luck and don't lose sight of those hard workers, your job isn't to win it is to develop young kids into quality young people.  Sometimes winning is the easy part.

Quote: @"NodakViking" said:

Good luck and don't lose sight of those hard workers, your job isn't to win it is to develop young kids into quality young people.  Sometimes winning is the easy part.
Couldn't agree more Nodak. 

Welcome to the world of coaching.  Since I've been doing it for over 20 years (different sports than hockey... I can skate- but I can't stop), if you ever need a sounding board, just shoot me a PM.  Good luck!  Like has already been said: the most important things aren't the W's (or the L's); it's the kids- and what you have to give them.  Ultimately, the joy in coaching comes from the journey, itself: so enjoy it!

Hi Mike,
I coached girls hockey for 5 years, and it's a lot of work, but if you have the right group, it's also a blast.  The toughest thing with being a man coaching girls hockey is the time you can't be with them in the locker room (dressing and undressing).  It only takes two or three "bad eggs" to spoil the team, so I'd recommend on day one letting the team and parents what your code of conduct is, and what you'll do about anyone not treating their "hockey family" with respect at all times.  You may try to get a locker room supervisor or female assistant coach to help with that.

Use notes and rink diagrams for each practice to outline all the drills and the amount of time spent on each drill.  It's way better to be "over prepared" for practice than not have things planned.  After you see the kids play games, it'll be evident what things you'll need to work on in the next practice.  Most likely you'll need a decent plan on breakouts, fore checking, passing to the point, and puck movement.  Teaching these kids to confidently pass (pass like you mean it) with knowing where to pass is huge.

I tried to have 3 strong lines, and really work with the kids that aren't as good at skating, shooting, and passing.  Getting those kids to progress are important and will help your "all star" kids too.   I also stress "dry land" exercises.  We usually did "dry land" for about 20-30 minutes before each practice and about 10 minutes before games.  The girls loved being in shape and feeling strong.

I had crazy parents bitch, and most of them shut up in a hurry when I just suggested they strap on their skates and join me on the ice at the next practice.

Good luck, and have fun with it. 

I coached basketball when my son was in fourth, fifth and six grade.  

The most important thing I taught was sportsmanship ... treating fans, refs, coaches, opposition and teammates with respect.

Equal playing time.  Equal starts.  I challenged the better players to get assists to players that couldn't score. 

Winning was not important.  But we rarely lost.  

I coached my youngest son's 5th grade hoops team...the best part was watching the kids improve from the start of the year to the end...parents were a non-factor which really surprised me...it was a blast...

You'll need good assistant coaches as well.  If you don't have any, start recruiting ASAP.  Finding young assistance that know about goal tending is huge.