Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings escape London with win but face big questions during bye week
Minnesota put itself in bad position early with negative runs and penalties. This game should have been decided well before the Vikings started to pull it together in the second half.
The chaotic nature of Minnesota's fourth straight win highlights the flaws of this first-place team, one with several questions to answer during its Week 9 bye.
What it means: The Vikings escaped London with a win, but the biggest issue on offense remains at quarterback. Keenum stepped up to convert big third downs and showed glimpses of being able to establish a deep passing attack. He also had a number of passes batted down early and struggled with accuracy. Keenum finished 27-of-43 for 288 yards passing, two touchdowns and an interception. But it should have been easier against the winless Browns. The Vikings' window of reliance on Keenum is closing. They'll need to use the bye week to determine how they're going to manage the position going forward.
What I liked: Adam Thielen entered Week 8 with the most receptions (43) without a touchdown catch, per ESPN Stats & Information. Keenum used Thielen to get the ball moving downfield, which resulted in the receiver's first touchdown catch of the season. But the offense really got going once it turned to Jerick McKinnon. The versatile rusher was a big threat in the passing game, totaling 72 yards on six catches and 50 yards on the ground. He notched his second game of 100-plus yards from scrimmage this season and stepped up big in the backfield.
What I didn't like: The defense had issues establishing a pass rush because of the speed at which Cleveland ran plays. The Vikings are going to face a lot better offenses than the Browns' in the second half, so that was a bit alarming. A week after allowing just 64 yards in the run game, Minnesota gave up 115 to Crowell, Duke Johnson Jr.and DeShone Kizer. The defense didn't come up with any interceptions but did register a big fumble recovery on a muffed punt to give the Vikings good field position. Unfortunately for Minnesota, Keenum and the offense stalled and had to rely on a field goal.
What's next: Minnesota heads into its bye week at 6-2 and has to address what it's going to do with its quarterback situation. Sam Bradford reportedly traveled with the team to London but has not practiced in more than three weeks. The Vikings' 21-day window to activate Teddy Bridgewater off the PUP list closes in another week. While it looks likely that Bridgewater will be moved to the 53-man roster instead of IR, the question that now needs answering is how soon they'll turn to their former starter and whether Bradford is healthy enough to get his job back after the bye. Keenum showed some OK moments against the Browns but has looked more like a backup in his last two games. The Vikings are in prime position to control their own destiny at the beginning of the second half. They need to figure out what's going on with their starting quarterbacks before they continue their playoff push.

http://www.espn.com/blog/minnesota-vikin...g-bye-week

I think the Browns had a decent gameplan to mitigate mistakes/turnovers by Kizer. Quick throws aren't anything new to combat Minnesota's pass rush. The key to this win was: Browns turnovers and then getting ahead in the 2nd half and being able to unleash the hounds. It was a sluggish 1st half. Minnesota isn't going to be clean offensive machine with Keenum at QB, they'll have to battle....because he has backup talent for the position. The bye comes at a great time for once. 

We need Teddy or Sam coming out of that bye. My money is on Teddy. If it doesn't happen against the Redskins then make the change against the Rams. It's time to find out whether or not one or the other of these guys can continue their football careers.

Every Vikings fan is waiting anxiously to see (1) if Teddy is physically able to play again and (2) if he will be the same player it looked like he was becoming when he was injured. Mentally, he should have a better understanding of the game by virtue of having watched, listened, and learned. He has also seen Sam and Case have success throwing the ball downfield and I would assume he is looking forward to that aspect of the Vikings offense. 
But the fact remains that he has not played in a real game (even a preseason game) in more than a year. So it is natural to expect that he will be rusty and may not have the timing with his receivers that Sam and Case have.  If we were 2-6 and out of the playoff hunt, this would be easy: once Teddy can play you put him in and take your lumps as we learn the answers to questions 1 and 2 above. But we are 6-2 and every game matters.
Fortunately, the coaches get to see these guys in practice every day. They are paid to make these tough calls. The fans and the media get to second-guess the coaches' decisions when things go south. I hope Zimmer and Shurmur have earned the benefit of the doubt. But I would not bet on it. If we were to miss the playoffs 2 years in a row after starting 5-2 or 6-2, things could get really ugly.

Quote: @dadevike said:
Every Vikings fan is waiting anxiously to see (1) if Teddy is physically able to play again and (2) if he will be the same player it looked like he was becoming when he was injured. Mentally, he should have a better understanding of the game by virtue of having watched, listened, and learned. He has also seen Sam and Case have success throwing the ball downfield and I would assume he is looking forward to that aspect of the Vikings offense. 
But the fact remains that he has not played in a real game (even a preseason game) in more than a year. So it is natural to expect that he will be rusty and may not have the timing with his receivers that Sam and Case have.  If we were 2-6 and out of the playoff hunt, this would be easy: once Teddy can play you put him in and take your lumps as we learn the answers to questions 1 and 2 above. But we are 6-2 and every game matters.
Fortunately, the coaches get to see these guys in practice every day. They are paid to make these tough calls. The fans and the media get to second-guess the coaches' decisions when things go south. I hope Zimmer and Shurmur have earned the benefit of the doubt. But I would not bet on it. If we were to miss the playoffs 2 years in a row after starting 5-2 or 6-2, things could get really ugly.
I do agree with this. I really believe that there's a hype or buzz aspect to this that is also influential. I think the team really wants to get Teddy back out there because of the fan buzz it will create. Is that good or bad for Teddy? I'm not really sure. Him having to play after over a year off is a risk for a team leading the division. Yet, the team has to look to the future at the QB position as they have a huge decision to make. They have to see if Teddy can still play. Will Sam get back on the field?? I think it really depends on how Teddy does when he gets his chance. I don't see Sam back out there before Teddy. The very, very, very quiet nature of the whole Sam's bum knee thing is what makes me think that he's probably not going to play for us anymore this year. It's is eerily quiet on that front. Meanwhile, we're leading the division but we are going to be tested big time on the road the second half of this season and thus far we aren't looking like a great road team. It all comes down to injecting some momentum and buzz into the team as well as the fans, I believe. As much as I think the players really do like Case (he's fiery and motivated and has done a pretty decent job keeping us afloat), I still feel like the team sees Teddy as their leader. As much as I think Sam was appreciated for his talents I don't know if he was viewed the same way. For all of both Teddy's and Case's shortcomings, they have the personalities to be leaders on the field and I think to teammates that aspect cannot be emphasized enough.
All of this said, I could be so wrong about everything I typed above that it'll make me look silly...*shrug* Smile

I would really like to see Bradford or Bridgewater healthy and Zimmer declare him the starter at Washington - a change because a starter returned to health, team coming off a win. The returned player only has to look competent, "shaking off rust" is OK.

OTOH, if they wait for a problem - like a loss at Washington with Keenum playing badly - the change is a move of desperation. I think a lot of players lost confidence in 2016 and team psyche is fragile. Then the pressure on the returned QB is "Save us!!" and anything less than great play is a failure.