Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Take a deep breath everyone, Teddy Bridgewater doesn't need to rush to playing field
Teddy Bridgewater will practice Wednesday. But he won’t arrive at Winter Park atop a majestic white steed with sword drawn high as the rest of the NFC North lowers its head and surrenders.
Yes, Wednesday is a big day. There’s a lot of talk in this town about athletes working tails off. But no one has a shorter nub of a tail than 24-year-old Theodore Edmond Bridgewater, whose 14-month journey from horrific knee injury to practice field return ends Wednesday with some limited work.
But let’s tap the brakes on projecting when Bridgewater will play. Or if he’ll even need to play this season.
Bridgewater returning to practice as soon as he was eligible tells me the Vikings are serious about activating him when they must decide in 21 days. But it doesn’t tell me they plan to start him on Nov. 12 at Washington.

The team’s rise or fall of this season doesn’t hinge on Bridgewater’s return. He’s good, but unlike Green Bay or New England, the identity and the soul of this team is a defense layered with elite, high-priced playmakers.
On the other side of the ball, it’s not Keenum, Bridgewater, Bradford or offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur who will magically revive a dormant offense. It’s the five guys up front that no one talks about anymore.
Funny how signing two free-agent tackles, drafting a center and pitching Alex Boone overboard changed the weakest and most complained-about link into an overlooked strength.

In 2015, as the Fantasy Footballers complained about Bridgewater’s ‘70s throwback numbers, I defended his play. When he went 14-for-18 for 153 yards against the Lions, I applauded him for knowing how not to mess up as Adrian Peterson ran for 134 yards and the defense held Matthew Stafford to 16 points.
That was Week 2. By season’s end, Bridgewater had nine games in which he threw for fewer than 188 yards. He went 8-1 in those games.
When the Vikings went into Lambeau Field and wrestled the division title from the Packers in the regular season finale, Bridgewater completed 10 of 19 passes for 99 yards and a 45.7 passer rating.
But the defense was healthy, fresh and beaming after holding Aaron Rodgers to 13 points in a winner-take-all contest.
In the eight games Bridgewater won while throwing for less than 188 yards, he turned the ball over five times. Opponents turned those five turnovers into just 10 points.

Bridgewater is a good quarterback who, hopefully, will one day make it all the way back to live action. But, for now, barring injury or a collapse in Keenum’s play, there’s no need to view Bridgewater as a savior that needs to be rushed back as the starter.

http://www.startribune.com/he-s-back-tak...451320823/

Agree, agree and agree.  We have a rare luxury of NOT rushing.

good read...glad our o line getting some love.

I agree that the Vikings don't need to rush Bridgewater back onto the field for the Washington game. I think he'll play at some point this season, but right now Keenum is doing a good job of holding the fort, so there is no reason to put Teddy out there until they feel he is absolutely ready and can outplay Kase.

As for Teddy's numbers, he didn't have anywhere near the same type of talent around him like the offense has now. He was in an offense that required him to take a lot of 5-7 step drops behind a poor line, who was often in max protect and still couldn't stop a 4-man rush. The talent at receiver wasn't what is today and while he had some overlap with Peterson, Turner's use of AD in heavy run formations and Peterson's inability to run out of passing sets heavily telegraphed the offense. I would love to see what Teddy can do behind a better offense, but I don't want to rush him out too early. It's also a shame that Cook is out for the year, because he is the perfect type back to pair with him.

I llok forward to them easing him back in, hopefully during 4th quarter with a double digit lead. His knee worries me.  i dont expect much longevity from him.  But he was showing flashes of some excellent play before he went down.  I am really wondering how he does.

that article should be signed.... "the rest of the NFL"

I had lunch yesterday with some Panther fans and they brought up the Teddy deal and were basically saying that they are hoping that we stay with Keenum as they dont want to see Teddy in an offense that is giving the QB time to throw and has as many weapons as we have.  several of them are big college guys and loved his game when given time to survey the field and step into his throws.  (something he rarely ever got in his previous starts)

I agree dont rush him back,  i wouldnt expect to see him until after the bye,  but the best players have to play and we cant wait until Case has completely fallen apart and cost us a game in a 16 game season to make the change.   I say Case hasnt really earned the spot yet as his play is suspect. 

bigger picture,  1 game may not keep us out of the playoffs,  but it certainly may force us to travel for a game in the playoffs that we would rather play at home.

Ha, one bad game for Keenum and you'll see the fans howling for Teddy. This story could have a very short shelf life.

Hell, first bad half and fans will howl for Teddy...

Fans are fickle and impatient.  It won't take much for folks to want the backup.   There is a reason Case isn't thought of as a starter... He is a very good backup though.

Until Teddy is on the active roster it wont matter what fans want...And even then Zimmer won't be pressured. Interesting as hell to watch his story unfold, and the rest of the season too. 

F'ing team always sucks me back in - sigh.