Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The hit on Rodgers

I didn't see a problem with the hit. He was within a step when the ball was thrown and he made a good form tackle to the torso without any shot to the head. It seems like most football fans across the country are in agreement.

If you look at the freeze frames all the Packers media and fans are posting, it obviously looks like Barr ran five yards to get to Rodgers after the ball is already out. But watching it in real time (and even in slow motion), Barr is going for the torso to wrap him up. Further, we've all seen Rodgers to his little pump fake to stop defenders and then run for 10 yards. I'm not certain Barr saw the ball come out and he was trying to prevent that Rodgers scramble play like the one we saw beat Dallas by wrapping him up.

I generally like Rodgers as a player and think he's entertaining. I'd love him if he were a Viking. But he does seem to think he's above the game sometimes. Sorry, Aaron. If you want to play quarterback, especially if you want to play the position the way you do as a scrambler and improvisor, you're going to have to take some hits occasionally. Unfortunately on this one, your arm was in an awkward position as you came to the ground. Those are the breaks.

It was a clean, legal hit. He was whining for a flag. From the footage, it sounds like Troy thought there should be one too. The Packers fans collectively lost their shit after that play. Everywhere I look online, they are going off. Oh well, whatever. 

It was a bang, bang play.
No flag on the call, even when Rodgers begs for one every time he's hit. 

Stafford took a beating today too...you play the game long enough you're gonna get popped.

Aaron got popped. Packer fans can cry all they want...its football.

What I've noticed is that NONE of the ex-players on the various channels (that I've seen yet) have called it a late/dirty hit. Play it at real speed and every QB in the league takes that hit nearly every week.  It was the awkward landing that broke the collarbone.

Nobody is calling it a dirty play....anywhere outside of Wisconsin. 

It was a clean hit and Barr didn't add anything extra to drive Rodgers into the ground. If Barr doesn't finish that play, then there is a chance that Rodgers scrambles or pump fakes and tries to go deeper downfield than his throw to Bennett. Also, when QBs scramble outside of the pocket, they don't have the same protections from the rules as they do inside of the pocket, which is how it should be. You can scramble and try to keep a play alive, but you take a risk by doing so. Rodgers has gotten away with extending plays for years and it caught up to him today.