Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Misc. Thoughts: Bears
That was a weird game to watch.   My feeling swung between "of course we will win this game" to "something unexpected is going to happen to allow the Bears to win."  And the Bears had three unexpected things happen that almost allowed them to win: the successful fake punt, the tipped pass TD and the dazzling two point conversion.   Here are my miscellaneous thoughts for the week:
  • Bradford.  The obvious point is that physically he just didn't have it.  Couldn't move well, his mechanics were off, etc.  But the thing that concerned me most was that mentally he was off.  He threw into a lot of double coverage.  It was kind of lucky that his mechanics were off and the ball was sailing because he was throwing the ball to well covered receivers.  I was really surprised by the amount of mental rust he accumulated.  This is also shown by the safety -- he held the ball way too long.   My last thought about Bradford is whether we have seen him in a Vikings uniform for the last time.  When Bridgewater comes back, I could see the Vikings shutting down Bradford for the rest of the season.
  • Keenum.  In terms of quarterbacks, I think one of the bright dividing lines between good and great QBs is an arrogant confidence.  When you have an arrogant confidence, even if you make 5 bad throws or reads in a row, you know the next one will be perfect -- your confidence never gets rattled.  Think Aaron Rodgers.  For someone like Case Keenum, I think his confidence can wane based on early game results.  I see Rodgers as a Kobe Bryant type-player who always thinks that he can make a player better than any of his teammates.  Case is more like a JR Smith, if he gets hot, he can be damn good but a missed shot/pass and the necessary confidence to compete at the highest level can drain away.
  • Middle of the Oline.  I give the Bears credit, I think they put a great game plan in for Bradford at QB.  They pressured right up the middle repeatedly trying to make him move.  They also exposed the middle of our Oline a bit; our guards and centers were overpowered on a number of plays.  I also missed Cooks blitz pickup ability on a couple of plays.  Once Bradford went out, the Vikings were able to do some more things to hide the Bears strength up the middle.
  • Brock.  I have to wonder about his football IQ with the stupid penalties.
  • 7 Wide Receivers.  You have to wonder whether the Vikes are playing some sort of cat and mouse game with the Giants right now.  The Giants are so hurting at WR right now, everyone is sending in their resume (http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/ode...w56smbex5k)  I 100% believe that if the Vikes try to waive either Coley or Adams, they won't make it past the Giants.  I am also not sure whether the Giants would look to trade for a WR given the current state of the team -- why trade picks when you are not going to make the playoffs regardless?  This WR game between the Vikes and Giants will be interesting to watch.
  • Game Sideshows.  Okay, I am going to say it, the Duck, Duck, Goose celebration was the stupidest celebration I have ever seen.  To think that these players actually devised that celebration, actually put time into it, well, it is embarrassing.   Now, on the other hand, go back to the 10:20 mark during the third quarter and watch Thielen on the ground.  This is the type of insight you read my posts for....  Thielen is on the ground and extends his hand to a Bears player to help him up.  The Bears player just walks past him.  Then another Bears player helps him up and Thielen get up and looks over at the first Bears player and you can see him gesture to that player like "what gives, why didn't you give me some help up?'  I thought that was really funny.
  • Vikings PEE.  McKinnon.  Clearly, McKinnon wants to be the top back and cash a big check during free agent signing period.  Good for him and good for the team.  I also want to call out Quigley  -- I would have picked him for last week's PEE.  Isn't it nice to have a punter that you never think about?

Great write-up as usual.  Keenum needs a rhythm for sure.  He plays lights out when hot.

I do think the middle of the bears d line was their strength.  And yes, what the hell was Brock thinking?  He was beat and made it worse. 

As to the duck duck goose, it sounds like it was made up on the spot.  Rudy called it out in the huddle a play earlier.  I think it was great and I usually don't like celebrations, much less team ones.  But as team celebrations go, this was a great one.  no rehearsing, everyone knows how to play, and as Case said, "we executed pretty well."

Nice write-up.

I am a little worried about Bradford's future with the team as well.  I like him but I really worry about his knee and his mobility in general.  It's hard to believe he is the same age as Keenum.  Keenum looks 5-10 years younger on the field.

My suggestion regarding having 7 WRs on the roster: trade Treadwell to the Giants for whatever you can get.  I'm probably beating this horse to death, but I can't stand seeing him on the field anymore when there are multiple other WRs on the team more deserving.

Quote: @"SFVikingFan" said:
Nice write-up.

I am a little worried about Bradford's future with the team as well.  I like him but I really worry about his knee and his mobility in general.  It's hard to believe he is the same age as Keenum.  Keenum looks 5-10 years younger on the field.

My suggestion regarding having 7 WRs on the roster: trade Treadwell to the Giants for whatever you can get.  I'm probably beating this horse to death, but I can't stand seeing him on the field anymore when there are multiple other WRs on the team more deserving.
I still say convert him to QB,  he has a cannon for an arm.  stronger than any of our QBs in camp.

Yeah, interesting note about Bradford.  In hindsight, it would have been good to keep him on the bench to get him completely healthy, but then again, he needed to knock some rust off as well.  But it could have been the last of him, who knows now. 

As to Treadwell, heard someone say he layed a pretty big block on one of the big plays.  So obviously he is doing something.  I say send Wright.  The Giants need some veteran experience.  They have young guys, pretty much all they have anymore without Beckham or Marshall?

Quote: @"greediron" said:
Yeah, interesting note about Bradford.  In hindsight, it would have been good to keep him on the bench to get him completely healthy, but then again, he needed to knock some rust off as well.  But it could have been the last of him, who knows now. 

As to Treadwell, heard someone say he layed a pretty big block on one of the big plays.  So obviously he is doing something.  I say send Wright.  The Giants need some veteran experience.  They have young guys, pretty much all they have anymore without Beckham or Marshall?
Treadwell does do a nice job in the run game

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"SFVikingFan" said:
Nice write-up.

I still say convert him to QB,  he has a cannon for an arm.  stronger than any of our QBs in camp.
Joe Webb version 2.0?  No thank you.  And at least Joe had played the position before.

I say get whatever you can salvage for him at this point and cut your losses.

Nobody knows if Bridgewater ever makes it past a practice field again. IF they do, then I want in on their crystal ball tech. Otherwise, I pretty much agree! 

Well done.  Vikes have 7 WRs because they fear cutting Coley or Adams and having the Giants nab them.  They clearly want to put one of them (likely Adams) on the Practice squad.

The correct WR to go is either Treadwell (because he does little in the passing game, and that is what a WR does.  If you want a blocker, get a Tight End), and Wright (because, as much as he could contribute, the Vikings just don't seem to want to let him).

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:

Nobody knows if Bridgewater ever makes it past a practice field again. IF they do, then I want in on their crystal ball tech. Otherwise, I pretty much agree! 
I will tell you, there is NO doubt Bridgewater will return.  He is doing fine.   Sharrif Floyd?  he's the guy you will never see again.