Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oh man, so this is what happened to Mike Harris...
Ex-Viking Mike Harris upbeat despite congenital brain condition forcing retirement
It was typical day during organized-team activities in June 2016, and Vikings guard Mike Harris was battling to keep his starting job. Following a practice, he returned to his home in Eden Prairie to study his iPad.
Suddenly, everything changed for Harris.
“I felt like I was having a stroke,’’ Harris said Tuesday. “I got home and I just remember being on my iPad and my vision went blurry, went double. I couldn’t see.’’
A friend rushed Harris to Winter Park, and he was looked at by Vikings medical personnel with the initial thought it was a concussion. But that wasn’t it.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/09/26/ex-...etirement/

After Harris was put on the NFI list in July 2016 and through the remainder of his tenure with the team, the Vikings declined to discuss his medical situation. They were under no obligation to pay Harris for the 2016 season, but he said they agreed to give him $400,000 of his $1.9 million base salary. He already had earned a $100,000 workout bonus for the spring, so that gave him a total of $500,000.

Nice move by he Wilf's...

Outside of hiring Childress, Frazier,  TOA and Stadium extortion, I got no beef with the Wilfs. Been good owners and pouring a lot of their own profits $$ in team infrastructure. Really have set the franchise up for another 40 years here in Minny. 

I wish Harris the best...

“It’s unfortunate my career has come to an end, but I’m just happy I can walk on my own two feet and I can be there for my family in my future,’’ Harris said.

This is the most important thing. I knew it was serious when it was a non-football thing and everyone clammed up. I wish him all the best. I am glad he had a CAT scan and that he is taking care of himself. I appreciate that the team took care of him and respected his privacy.

Such a nice thing for the Wilfs' family to treat Mike Harris as a human being.  Nice Job Wilfs....

I am still pissed about the tailgating thing.... but I am pretty damn happy to have the Wilfs as owners of our team. 

Very nice story by Tommason as well,  I wish we would see more of these types of stories from the Vikings beat writers and less of them trying to tear the team down or trying to make a story where there isnt one.

and very good to hear the Mike is taking care of both his health and finances.  its nice to hear of young pro athletes with their heads screwed on straight.

Hoping for the best for Mike and his family. The whole situation had to be very frightening for him and it's good to hear that he's better. It sounds like life is making a turn for the good for him now, thankfully.

Glad they figured it out and he is healthy.  I think this is what the daughter of a friend had and she passed away at 13.  Just crumpled and went down at home. 

So count your blessings Mike.  And love this part of the article
“I was (a starter) the year Adrian (Peterson) got the rushing title, and
we won the NFC North title,” Harris said. “I’ll always be a part of
that championship and the banner that hangs at the facility. "

I thought he was a good player and was disappointed he couldn't play last year. He sounds like an intelligent and well grounded individual away from the game as well. I wish him the best of luck and health in his future.

Wow, glad they caught it. Often leads to stroke, which if survived can often lead to the same debilitating pain condition i have. so happy for him!