Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cowherd gives some Vikings love...how unusual
Something I never do, is drive about during the day.  I happened to run an errand this afternoon and was listening to Colin Cowherd on a local ESPN affiliate here.  
He had a guy on from NFL Films who was reviewing videos on a screen (hard to watch on radio, and Cowherd acknowledged that), but he was running through two concepts, on on defense and one on offense that is making the Vikings so tough these first three games.

First the NFL Films guy was walking him through BFlo's defense alignment and strategy which he simplified to the point I had never heard it so clearly defined before.

He simply pointed out that instead of 3 or 4 down linemen at the LOS, that BFlo will have 7 or 8, with only 3 or 4 in the defensive backfield.  He made it clear that usually they don't all rush/blitz...but the offense has to account for every single one of them, which usually takes an RB or a TE that is kept in to block because our D is not telegraphing who actually is going to rush...so they have to stay in account for every single defensive player at the LOS. With those extra two players kept in, the defense has an unfair advantage in coverage.  He really made it sound brilliantly simple in its structure.

Then he pointed out a TD play against the Texans...with Johnny Muse going in motion, and how Dalton read the situation.  His first read was covered, his second read had a defensive back sitting in wait...both high-risk options, and then his third option (I cannot remember which TD it was), had a window and he shot a laser in a tight spot that only his receiver could catch and he caught it.  He said he took 20-30 seconds to explain the process that Dalton processed in about 1.5 seconds.  He was very high on Darnold.  

Cowherd absorbed it and jokingly said "okay, let me check this guy on my MVP ballot"

Bottom line:  I am simply not used to the Vikings not only getting this kinda love from the radio pundits, but beyond that, the explanation of what was going on in each play was succinct and all of a sudden made complete sense to me...even on the radio.

The Vikings are extremely well-coached, have good strategy employed on both sides of the line and have players who understand it and can execute it.
We are in rarified air, folks.  Just not used to this.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Montana Tom's post:

Enjoying the ride, not taking for granted the quality of play, schemes and coaching.

That said, I'll grouse like hell if we lose Sunday. I know we cant win em all, but I hate losing divisional games the most.
[-] The following 1 user Likes purplefaithful's post:

That was the TD to Nailor which was his 3rd read.
Cowherd loves Darnold. He was all over him at USC and after the draft, now he can gloat again.

Cowherd has loved Darnold since his USC days and he's a West Coast guy.

I know you meant Darnold, Tom, but you wrote Dalton.

(Yesterday, 03:34 AM)StickierBuns Wrote: Cowherd has loved Darnold since his USC days and he's a West Coast guy.

I know you meant Darnold, Tom, but you wrote Dalton.

Yup, good catch. Fixed.