Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prisco: Vikings to upset 49ers
San Francisco 49ers (-6) at Minnesota Vikings
Sunday, 1 p.m. ET (CBS, Paramount+)

Both of these teams impressed in their Week 1 victories. The 49ers pushed around a good Jets defense without Christian McCaffrey. This Minnesota defense impressed against New York and I think they will play well here. This is close. Real close, but give it to the Vikings in an upset.

Not expecting a win, but it wouldn't surprise me too much either. Vikings beat the 49ers last year, and they did it without Justin Jefferson. QBs typically struggle against Flores the first time they play him, as Purdy did last year (272 yards, 1 TD, 2 INTs), but this will be Purdy's 2nd time, so I expect him to play better. But I also think our secondary is better this year. I also like that we didn't show too many of our cards on defense against the Giants.

Couple interesting notes: Cousins threw for nearly 400 yards in that game last year. Can't expect that from Darnold. But also our leading rusher in that game was Mattison with 39 yards. I think we should do a little better than that this year.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MaroonBells's post:

I'm optimistic, again, but it'll take the Vikings' best game to win it. The biggest issue we have is that our QB and a few others are in important positions while also being new to the team. Last year, it was almost mid-season, and we'd finally gelled. This season...if the chemistry is happening quickly, I think we defend our home one more time.

If not, I think we still punch 'em in the mouth, and make a statement in the process.
LET'S WREAK SOME FUGGIN' HAVOK, VIKINGS!!! SKOL!!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Zanary's post:

(09-11-2024, 09:04 AM)MaroonBells Wrote: Not expecting a win, but it wouldn't surprise me too much either. Vikings beat the 49ers last year, and they did it without Justin Jefferson. QBs typically struggle against Flores the first time they play him, as Purdy did last year (272 yards, 1 TD, 2 INTs), but this will be Purdy's 2nd time, so I expect him to play better. But I also think our secondary is better this year. I also like that we didn't show too many of our cards on defense against the Giants.

Couple interesting notes: Cousins threw for nearly 400 yards in that game last year. Can't expect that from Darnold. But also our leading rusher in that game was Mattison with 39 yards. I think we should do a little better than that this year.

At the bold, that's kinda where my head is at too. I wouldn't be shocked if we won, but it would still be a hell of a feat (especially w/out TJH and a hobbled Addison if he plays at all). 

Vikings were a dismal 2/6 at home last year - hopefully that wont continue
SF is -6.0 today, that feels about right

Tough, tough stretch of games coming up.

A win would surprise me. The niners are the class of the NFC. I am really hoping for an upset obvi.

Little things make a difference. Addison will likely miss, Dominic Puni is another gem of a draft pick for the niners.

To win we need turnovers and to hit Purdy a lot.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bullazin's post:

I'm going to be interested to see how we hold up against the run. 49ers bludgeoned a pretty good Jets front on their way to an undrafted running back having a career day. We weren't tested against a sub-par Giants offensive line and Devin Singletary, so this is going to be a real test.
[-] The following 1 user Likes supafreak84's post:

(09-11-2024, 11:17 AM)Bullazin Wrote: A win would surprise me. The niners are the class of the NFC.  I am really hoping for an upset obvi. 

Little things make a difference. Addison will likely miss, Dominic Puni is another gem of a draft pick for the niners.

To win we need turnovers and to hit Purdy a lot.

This is exactly how I feel about it, Bull....
[-] The following 1 user Likes StickierBuns's post:

I think if there ever was a week for us to beat the 49ers, I think we have a slight advantage in having so many unknowns so early in the season.
[-] The following 1 user Likes medaille's post:

Last year, the 49er's were without Trent Williams and Deebo Samuel. They've got both this year. The Vikings usually struggle against power and Deebo provides plenty of power. So does McCaffrey's backup, Jordan Mason, who was a beast against the Jets. I hope for the best but expect the worst. I hope Sam continues to impress and that the Flores defense befuddles Purdy.

(09-11-2024, 12:39 PM)NorseFeathers Wrote: Last year, the 49er's were without Trent Williams and Deebo Samuel. They've got both this year. The Vikings usually struggle against power and Deebo provides plenty of power. So does McCaffrey's backup, Jordan Mason, who was a beast against the Jets. I hope for the best but expect the worst. I hope Sam continues to impress and that the Flores defense befuddles Purdy.

The only thing that would surprise me in this one is a Vikings blowout win. But I can see a path to a W for both teams. 

But remember we didn't have Jefferson in that game last year, and the 49ers DID have Christian McCaffery, who scored twice, but ran for only 45 yards on 15 carries. They won't have him on Sunday and Mason won't run for 150 again. Vikings will need to find an answer to Deebo, but I kinda think how Flores plays Metellus might just be the right answer. What scares me most is Shanahan. I'm sure he'll have a pretty good game plan ready for the Flores madness.