Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My interest level is at zero....wake me up next year at this time
I knew it was a transition year anyhow, but at least I was interested in JJM's development. All that is out the window now. No way they don't do a full repair of his meniscus...why would you do anything less? The 'Darnold is going to surprise' stuff is a pipe dream, at least consistently. I'm sure Sam will have his positive moments. I had no expectations beyond 7 or 8 wins this year. My interest was entirely about when JJM would get in toward the end of the season. And the unknown factor of how McCarthy will respond to having his knee operated on and how bad it is. Why play him now this year at all, regardless of recovery time? At least I didn't waste any money on the NFL Sunday Ticket.

Venting here, but I don't see my attitude changing much as the days go on. Not trying to bum others out, its just deflating as a fan. All good!
[-] The following 1 user Likes StickierBuns's post:

I didn't want to see him playing this year anyway, and didn't have much for expectations for this year so nothing changed for me. Wanted to see him grow in the preseason games, but as a Viking fan im used to disappointment.

My interest will be in watching KOC and how the team responds to him. Let's see what kind of coach he really is. Right now, the jury is still out on him IMO. If he can hold the team together and field a competitive and physical team, that would encourage me more than watching JJM cutting his teeth.

Long term, this may be a good thing. Injury was the only thing that was going to keep him off the field this year. As soon as Darnold throws a pick at a home game, people were gonna start chanting for JJ. Eventually, KOC was going to give in. No one is going to start that chant for Mullens. So yeah, it sucks. But at least we still have another first round pick from this years draft to watch.
[-] The following 1 user Likes wiviking's post:

Wow, I'm frustrated by the news, but only because it impacts his development time. Really was not expecting him to play this year, so nothing's changed in that regard. Plus, I'm excited to see what kind of year Darnold can have with this kind of surround. Brandel, Aaron Jones, Nailor, Greenard, Turner...I'm as stoked today for the season to begin as I was yesterday.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MaroonBells's post:

Agree and disagree. This does suck. And my interest level regarding Darnold is low. Even if he is solid, I'll be happy for him as a player but I know he's not the future of this team. To speak in video game (NERRRD!) terms-- the QB position this season basically became a side quest, rather than a main story mission. Might be a fun detour, but it's lower stakes.

I do still have excitement for the rest of the team. Turner's impact. Is IPJ a flash in the pan or a real player? Does Bynum deserve big money? Can a KO offense provide a run game? Do we finally have a long term kicker? What's Addison's potential ceiling? Who will be this year's Metellus (Guy who comes out of nowhere to ball out)?

So while this does cast a shadow over the season since JJM was the #1 point of interest for myself and many others, we'll still get to watch some Vikings football this season, and that's always a good thing.

Even if this team loses a lot of games, if we get some gutty wins over divisional opponents then I'll be content. Beating GB will always put a spring in my step, no matter the circumstances.
[-] The following 4 users Like pattersaur's post:

I just hope it doesnt set back his development timeline and he comes back 100%
No way they dont do the full repair - it would be surprising as hell given what we know about the two options.
I was getting mentally ready to put JJ back on the shelf in a couple of weeks - until 2025.
- So things will not be that different for me come the opener.
- I had ZERO expectations for him playing this year
- My interest in pre-season is now nil

Look, Darnold should bring more to the table than Mullens/Hall or the Passtronaut. The Vikings could be quite competitive this year - its the D that keeps me up.

(08-14-2024, 09:25 AM)purplefaithful Wrote: I just hope it doesnt set back his development timeline and he comes back 100%
No way they dont do the full repair - it would be surprising as hell given what we know about the two options.
I was getting mentally ready to put JJ back on the shelf in a couple of weeks - until 2025.
  -  So things will not be that different for me come the opener.
  - I had ZERO expectations for him playing this year
  - My interest in pre-season is now nil

Look, Darnold should bring more to the table than Mullens/Hall or the Passtronaut. The Vikings could be quite competitive this year - its the D that keeps me up.

This is exactly how I see it.

(08-14-2024, 04:23 AM)StickierBuns Wrote: I knew it was a transition year anyhow, but at least I was interested in JJM's development. All that is out the window now. No way they don't do a full repair of his meniscus...why would you do anything less? The 'Darnold is going to surprise' stuff is a pipe dream, at least consistently. I'm sure Sam will have his positive moments. I had no expectations beyond 7 or 8 wins this year. My interest was entirely about when JJM would get in toward the end of the season. And the unknown factor of how McCarthy will respond to having his knee operated on and how bad it is. Why play him now this year at all, regardless of recovery time? At least I didn't waste any money on the NFL Sunday Ticket.

Venting here, but I don't see my attitude changing much as the days go on. Not trying to bum others out, its just deflating as a fan. All good!

From my understanding, they will only do a “full repair” if it is necessary. If it is a minor injury, they will fix it as clean up.  No need for over kill.

It would have been nice to know what their plans were anyway. If they were going to shelve JJM and focus on development, this probably removes any of the temptation to put him out there too early because Darnold is sucking, we’re losing or whatever. I wouldn’t feel as bad if he was taking a year off. If he was already ready, and they were planning on putting him in game one, losing a year of experience sucks.

Hopefully, whatever happens his knee heals right and isn’t an issue going forward.
[-] The following 1 user Likes medaille's post: