Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
JJM Held Out of Practice
Vikings QB J.J. McCarthy sidelined by right knee soreness, coach Kevin O’Connell says

Vikings quarterback J.J. McCarthy’s progress might be paused for at least a little while after he emerged from Saturday’s preseason win over the Raiders with right knee soreness, head coach Kevin O’Connell said Monday evening.

Whether McCarthy, the first-round pick out of Michigan, can travel with the team on Tuesday to Cleveland for joint practices and Saturday’s preseason game remains to be seen. He did not participate in Monday night’s practice at TCO Stadium in Eagan.

“Out of precaution we’re going to continue an evaluation on him and get some more testing done,” O’Connell said. “Very important player, obviously, so want to make sure we’re smart about it before he participates. Making sure we have a good understanding of where he’s at.”

O’Connell said McCarthy “could have continued playing” in Saturday’s exhibition when he was pulled in the middle of the third quarter. He completed 11 of 17 passes for 188 yards, two touchdowns and one interception. 

Players reported to TCO Performance Center later than normal on Monday with a night practice scheduled, so O’Connell said the team got a “late start” on diagnosing McCarthy’s issue.

“We’re trying to figure out maybe when it happened,” O’Connell said, “but he just came in with some kind of routine soreness that a lot of guys after their first preseason game sometimes come in with and it was something we wanted to be smart about.”

O’Connell was asked whether there’s any reason to believe McCarthy’s injury is more than “routine” soreness. “At this point, I really don’t,” he said. 

McCarthy was going to get “a lot of work” in what is a big week for the team’s preparation. They’ll hold their only set of joint practices this summer on Wednesday and Thursday in Cleveland, followed by the second preseason game against the Browns on Saturday.

https://www.startribune.com/minnesota-vi.../601083439

This is why we can’t have nice things.

It's not like he is going to play much more this season anyway. Maybe we see him after game 11 or something

(08-12-2024, 07:46 PM)AGRforever Wrote: This is why we can’t have nice things.

Wouldn't surprise me if they kept him home this week...Just out of abundance of caution.

Sigh.

(08-12-2024, 07:49 PM)Vikergirl Wrote: It's not like he is going to play much more this season anyway. Maybe we see him after game 11 or something

Its more about how long it sets back his development if he's out for a bit. Sucks. KOC didn't seem concerned, but the media is kind of running with it.

[-] The following 2 users Like pattersaur's post:

Anything re: JJM is going to be all over the media. I am surprised how high the hype meter is already.

HOPEFULLY, this is not a big deal. We'll know soon if he made it out to Cleveland or not.
[-] The following 1 user Likes purplefaithful's post:

(08-13-2024, 08:55 AM)purplefaithful Wrote: Anything re: JJM is going to be all over the media. I am surprised how high the hype meter is already.

HOPEFULLY, this is not a big deal. We'll know soon if he made it out to Cleveland or not.

This will be key: does he travel to Cleveland today.

Kevin Seifert
@SeifertESPN
·24m

Kevin O'Connell used the word "routine" to describe the soreness J.J. O'Connell is suffering.

This wasn't in the story, but I asked O'Connell if he had any reason to think this would turn out to be something beyond "routine." He said: "At this point I really don't."

(08-13-2024, 08:55 AM)purplefaithful Wrote: Anything re: JJM is going to be all over the media. I am surprised how high the hype meter is already.

For sure. And after Bradford and Teddy, it's hard to blame anyone for being scared here. Seems like QBs all over the league get a knee injury and are ripe as rain the following year. Vikings QBs? Career killer smh.

(08-12-2024, 07:49 PM)Vikergirl Wrote: It's not like he is going to play much more this season anyway. Maybe we see him after game 11 or something

I'm not with you at all on this take.  I think the narrative has been changing as he's developed on a progressed timeline.  The real criteria is when he's ready to take the reins and help the team get to that next level. That well could be very early in the season given his progression to date.  I think your take has become outdated over the last few weeks, in a good way.