Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Matt Kalil
Look, I don't normally dump on former Vikings but when a former viking dumps on the Vikings ....

Matt Kalil in August: "The first [Oline coach] I’ve played for that kind of demands excellence from his offensive line room,” referring to Panther's coach.

Matt Kalil in yesterday about one sack: “Mental error on my part,” Kalil said. “I thought the slide was one way and I went the wrong way, so that’s not good.” 

Obviously, the Panther's superior coaching and demand for excellence doesn't correct all flaws.  Kalil gave up two sacks yesterday to the Saints, Vikings gave up one sack to the Saints total.

From the local Charlotte paper:

When offensive tackle Matt Kalil was signed by the Carolina Panthers as a free agent, he was brought in foremost to protect quarterback Cam Newton.
But that wasn’t the case Sunday during Carolina’s 34-13 loss to New Orleans. Instead, Kalil was a weak link on the offensive line, including a sack deep in Panthers territory where he confused his blocking assignment.
“Mental error on my part. I thought the slide was one way and I went the wrong way, so that's not good,” Kalil said of the play in question. “That's just stupid by me. That's got to get fixed.”
While Kalil owned up to his mistake in one locker room, the mood in the visiting locker room about the same play was drastically different – especially from the man who took advantage of Kalil on the play, defensive end Cameron Jordan.
“We’ve played the Vikings before. He’s just a guy,” Jordan said of Kalil. “I appreciate him messing up his blocking scheme and allowing me to come free for a sack. A hundred percent appreciate the other Kalil brother.”
Kalil’s older brother Ryan is normally Carolina’s starting center, but he has missed the last two games with neck issues.

Kalil is one of the biggest in a long line of draft busts the Vikings have had.   He just doesn't care enough about his craft to try and get better.  As long as he gets paid. He fooled us for a year, but was one of the worst Left Tackles we've had since Brad Badger almost got Jim McMahon killed.

I remember reading an article by Arif that showed he wasn't even that good when he was good.  I did give him a lot of credit for playing injured.  It amazes me that he beat out Tyron Smith to play left tackle at USC.

Quote: @VikingOracle said:
I remember reading an article by Arif that showed he wasn't even that good when he was good.  I did give him a lot of credit for playing injured.  It amazes me that he beat out Tyron Smith to play left tackle at USC.
I think he was talented enough to be a stud in college.  Was he touted as never giving up a sack in college?  But that was part of the issue, his want to.  He didn't have the desire to improve, and without that, he is terribly inconsistent.  Not horrible, just lax and that will kill an offense as we well know.

Enjoyed watching Rieff put on a clinic yesterday.  Thankfully we paid the right guy.

Quote: @VikingOracle said:While Kalil owned up to his mistake in one locker room, the mood in the visiting locker room about the same play was drastically different – especially from the man who took advantage of Kalil on the play, defensive end Cameron Jordan.“We’ve played the Vikings before. He’s just a guy,” Jordan said of Kalil. “I appreciate him messing up his blocking scheme and allowing me to come free for a sack. A hundred percent appreciate the other Kalil brother.”
Wowzers, that is pretty savage.

Have watched all the Panther games this year. Kalil has given up several hits to Newton apart from the sacks. Kalil will have Newton in traction before the season ends if they continue to run him out there.

“We’ve played the Vikings before. He’s just a guy,” Jordan said of Kalil. “I appreciate him messing up his blocking scheme and allowing me to come free for a sack. A hundred percent appreciate the other Kalil brother.”

Lol. Steve Jordan's son is speaking the truth. 

Quote: @Tom Moore said:
Kalil is one of the biggest in a long line of draft busts the Vikings have had.   He just doesn't care enough about his craft to try and get better.  As long as he gets paid. He fooled us for a year, but was one of the worst Left Tackles we've had since Brad Badger almost got Jim McMahon killed.
Out of curiosity, how was he in the locker room? How was he to you as a reporter?

He comes across as an arrogant douche.

Yea, Brad Badger was nonexistant blocking for McMahon. McMahon got hit so fast, its like Badger wasnt even there.