Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Vikings extend Christian Darrisaw
Wow, did not expect this so soon...

Tom Pelissero
@TomPelissero
The #Vikings have agreed to terms on a contract extension with LT Christian Darrisaw, sources tell me and
@RapSheet

A new QB in Minnesota and now the blind side is secured with Darrisaw, the former first-round pick.

More from Pelissero....It's a four-year, $113 million extension with $77M guaranteed for Christian Darrisaw, whose fifth-year option was exercised in the spring. Now he's locked up for the long haul.
[-] The following 7 users Like MaroonBells's post:

Nice move, i like the timing.
[-] The following 2 users Like JimmyinSD's post:

Glad we finally got our young talent locked up this off-season. Bout time!
[-] The following 1 user Likes MAD GAINZ's post:

Yah -- wow from me too.

Didn't see this coming at this time anyhow.

Well, the future cornerstones are locked down for a while

JJM
Jefferson
Darrisaw
Turner

I like it!
=========================

Vikings sign Christian Darrisaw to four-year contract extension worth up to $113 million

The deal, which could make Christian Darrisaw the highest-paid left tackle in the NFL, runs through the 2029 season.

The four-year, $140 million deal the Vikings gave Justin Jefferson earlier this summer ensured J.J. McCarthy would develop in Minnesota with his top receiving option. On Tuesday, the Vikings made sure McCarthy would have his left tackle for the rest of the decade, too.

The team announced it agreed to a four-year contract extension with Christian Darrisaw, who now is signed through the 2029 season on a deal that a source said could be worth up to $113 million in new money. 

The Lions' Penei Sewell is now the highest-paid left tackle in the NFL after having signed a four-year, $112 million deal in April; the maximum value of the new money in Darrisaw's deal would help him eclipse that figure.

A contract extension for Darrisaw figured to be the next big item on the Vikings' to-do list after they finished Jefferson's deal before their mandatory minicamp last month. But since the left tackle still had two seasons left on his rookie contract (his fourth year and a fifth-year option were set to pay him more than $16 million), it seemed possible both sides would wait until after the 2024 season to negotiate an extension. 

Instead, the Vikings worked with Darrisaw's agent, Drew Rosenhaus, on a new deal that includes $77 million in guaranteed money, according to a source with knowledge of the contract.

Darrisaw, the 23rd pick in the 2021 NFL draft, has established himself as one of the league's most promising young tackles, though he's dealt with injuries that have kept him from playing all 17 games in a season and has yet to make a Pro Bowl team. 

He started a career-high 15 games last season, allowing six sacks and 31 pressures in 650 pass-blocking snaps. He's earned comparisons to All-Pro Trent Williams because of his size and mobility on the left side, and the Vikings seemed interested in ensuring he'd play opposite right tackle Brian O'Neill for the start of McCarthy's time in Minnesota.

The Vikings, who opened training camp with more than $20 million in salary cap space, could use some of the room to absorb the first installment of Darrisaw's signing bonus this year.

https://www.startribune.com/vikings-left...600384336/

(07-23-2024, 06:00 PM)JimmyinSD Wrote: Nice move,  i like the timing.

Was thinking the same, glad it didn't draw out.

Good for him

(07-23-2024, 07:31 PM)purplefaithful Wrote: The Vikings, who opened training camp with more than $20 million in salary cap space, could use some of the room to absorb the first installment of Darrisaw's signing bonus this year.

https://www.startribune.com/vikings-left...600384336/

Hope they do that to save some future cap space.  With the extension years being 2026-29, his original 5th-year option year of 2025 will likely also take some of the signing bonus.  The really big cap hits shouldn't start until '27. Also, with Darrisaw's 2025 5th year option cap hit originally on the books for $16 million, that number might drop too depending on how they structure the salary and bonuses.

He's a force when on, had a few ups and downs last year, but an excellent player.

Darrisaw is now the highest paid offensive lineman in the league in terms of AAV, but Sewell was given more guaranteed money. Darrisaw's cap hit for 2024 is only $4M.

It doesn't really matter much because the Vikings have gobs of cap space next year and expect to have a QB on a rookie contract for the duration of Darrisaw's term, but I've always been curious why more teams don't put more money in the first year to save a little money later.

Excellent last first round draft pick for Spelly. I was a huge Darrisaw fan and expected us to draft him at 14 when he was available. I only wanted Sewell more and he went to Lions as expected. I liked Darrisaw more than Slater (mostly because longer arms for T). I almost had a heart attack when we moved down. Then Darrisaw fell to us at 23! Spelly took a risk but got the guy I was advocating for. The other two 3rd picks we got in the move down were busts - Mond and Wyatt Davis.
[-] The following 1 user Likes minny65's post: